Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Hi again,

We're just a few hours away now. Tonight I will start smoking the pernil (a pig leg). It has been soaking for the last day in a mixture of salt and sugar in the refrigerator, and late tonight when I finally make it to the house it will go on the old barbecuer with a low fire down below and some wood that has been soaking to make lots of smoke. This will go all night tonight and all day tomorrow until about 6 pm, when the fire will be built up and it will then be roasted. (Looking forward to how the old neighboorhood smells in the morning with that piece of meat cooking all night behind the house.)

The ham will be fixed tomorrow as well as arroz con pollo (or arroz con guandu, can't remember which we decided on, but then that is women's work anyway). Then later the tamales will be warmed up and the potato salad brought out, bollos heated up and sliced, and all of the other little tidbits.

We're saving the turkey for Christmas day.

yum.

Leo cool.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Herrerano @ Dec 23 2003, 08:42 PM)
The ham will be fixed tomorrow as well as arroz con pollo (or arroz con guandu, can't remember which we decided on, but then that is women's work anyway).

Herrerano,

I figured rice with chicken (I hope) but I do not know guandu?

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Herrerano 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Guandu is a sort of bean thing that grows on a little tree. You can see a picture of one of the plants by clicking here http://www.chagres.com/Photos-88.html.

A picture of arroz con guandu here, notice the chicharones (fried pork skin). I don't know who took this picture, but that's definitely the stuff. http://gallery.future-i.com/panfeb02/pic:arroz/

And finally, since I went off on a websearch trying to figure out how to describe guandu, I came across this which has a bunch of synonyms and health benefits of guandu. http://www.rain-tree.com/guandu.htm

Leo cool.gif

PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Herrerano @ Dec 23 2003, 07:42 PM)
We're just a few hours away now. Tonight I will start smoking the pernil (a pig leg).

Dude, don't hog it biggrin.gif ! Pass it around biggrin.gif !

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

Herrerano,

Thank you, I learned two things today maybe this will mean I can have tomorrow off. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
peckery 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Hey Raven!!! Don't forget about the traditional Christmas Eve Video Shoot with the band. Isn't it snowing right now??? Peck
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gee! Whose house do I want to crash for Christmas? tongue.gif I had thought seriously about Arianrhod's, but then remembered I am having my own thing at my house! rolleyes.gif

We have Mexican dishes for Christmas eve here in the southwest with lots of family and then PRESENTS! Then for Christmas Day we have barbeque for lunch with more family and then MORE PRESENTS! Yippee!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Herrerano 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

I am getting really hungry, the pernil de puerco was slowly cooking this morning when I got up and had turned a beautiful dark reddish color. The aroma of the smoke wafting out of the barbecuer was incredible, some of it stuck to me as I looked at that gorgeous hunk of meat slowly cooking to perfection.

I am now at work, but lack only an hour before leaving here. Help had shown up at the house before I left this morning to get started on the rice and the salad and some of the other things. I understand that one of the most prolific family eaters will not be showing up this year so that will leave more for me.

ahhh, I love the anticipation.

Leo cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

More is good! I love it when someone says they don't like something I fix, means more for me. Now I really don't need second helpings but I just can't resist sometimes.

Has anyone ever loss weight during the holiday season? Not me. I'll have to work this off after Jan 1.

My Dad is coming to my house for Christmas dinner from Fla, so the bourbon will be like salt and pepper for me during the day. Now my brother will probably be told his sister has a drinking problem. I wonder why when you have someone whom invites themself to your house and they are arguementative. I feel like I'm doing the Christmas Vacation thing here. Oh well. Wonder if I could go back up into the attic and stay there til it's over...

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]