BluegrassLady 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

One author I like is Georgette Heyer. If I want to escape from the pressures of a bad day, these often do the trick. They are historical romances with witty conversations between characters. These are fluff stories, but if I have had a unsettling day, that is what I am looking for. smile.gif

Most of her books are out of print now (I believe), but the local library should have a few.

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Jun-2004, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

When I want to escape I tend to always indulge in Fantasy books. Any fantasy book with a whole different world that I can escape into. From Tolkien, to C.S Lewis, to any other author. If there are witches, wizards, elves, dragons, fairies in the books I'll most likely read them. There's something about fantasy books that gives me the complete escape from the worries of the world. Ya know the whole good verses evil and all that. They comfort me so much.

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
freekenny 
Posted: 22-Jul-2004, 03:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
All books bring comfort, knowledge and usually a smile or two to my lips! I love to read..when in 'need' of some major comfort I can always find it in my Native American spirituality and shamanism books..brings back into focus the important things in life biggrin.gif
Every Tuesday I have O'ginalli's (friends) over for stimulating conversation and friendly 'debate'..While me and my O'ginalli's were munching on some Apple Snow, a SPLENDID recipe Catriona has posted in the Scotland forum, I reached for a book that I haven't read in a while..Spirit Healing: Native American Magic & Medicine by Mary Dean Atwood. It is a wonderful book if you enjoy this type of reading..not only does the book bring wonderful surprises but, tucked away inside the book was a 'Thank You So Much' notecard that was given to me with a message on it from Sister Monnig. I studied under her for 10 weeks while working on my clinicals in Psychology. I did a presentation in a 'Death & Dying' class she said impressed her. She is a spectacular and rare person with a talent not only in the 'Church' but, in life!
I was just wondering if any of you have ever picked up a 'forgotten' book and found something special tucked away in it? Did it bring back memories? Do you remember why you tucked it away in that particular book? What was that special something? book.gif
Just wanted to share that~~
Sty-U~~

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 27-Jul-2004, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

One book that always makes me laugh is The Education of Little Tree. I know the messages within the book are profound, but I can't help but laugh at the mental workings of a young boy's mind. And the same goes for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Also, I just love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books, and, sometimes, I just pick up either The White Dragon or All the Weyrs of Pern (those are my favorites) and escape to Pern and the comfort of Ruth.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
erickbloodax 
Posted: 29-Jul-2004, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

"The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis. In "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" Lucy reads a spell for the refreshment of the spirt.
The tales of Narnia have always made me feel good, since Jack was telling another story through the Chronicles.

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
Crooktooth 
Posted: 02-Aug-2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: California

male

i'm with Avalon on the Pern books, particularly the Harperhall trilogy and the White Dragon.

I can always fall back to David Eddings' Belgariad as well.

--------------------
Putting live chickens in my enemies underwear since Dec'03
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 19-Aug-2004, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
For the past few days I have been 'picking' up my books on Angels, Fairies and Spirit Guides...I find that when I am in need of 'cheering up' anything on these topics, especially Angels, get the 'job done' hug.gif I love to share passages with my O'ginalli's from my Angel and Fairy books for I find they share not only an excellent 'message' but, they never fail to make ones heart and soul feel better followed by a warm, sincere smile biggrin.gif
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
**Doreen Virtue is an excellent author on Angels and Fairies should you wish to read something different** book.gif
PMEmail Poster               
deckers 
Posted: 07-Sep-2004, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

World's Strongest Humor Writer
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

As a humor writer, I should have a list of favorite "cheer me up" authors, but sadly I do not. I try to avoid published/professional humor writers in the same way high school trumpet players should never listen to Miles Davis -- they'll get discouraged that they'll never be that good, and quit.

Having said that, I will read Bruce Cameron's "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter," the original author of the email piece that has made the rounds for years, when I want to laugh hysterically.

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
fast_talker70 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

I read about three books at a time, most very different from eachother. I would say that Henry David Thoreua's Walden is one of my faverite books. I read self help books like 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey, and You'll see it when you believe it by Wayne Dyer. Any book that helps me to understand myself or the other so many million nutjobs on this earth I enjoy. I also read anything to do with history, especialy the American Civil War. I have quite a library, so mant books in fact that many are stored away until I have shelf space.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hello,

I must agree with Elspith, I have read James Harriot over and over. I just picked up the new King Arthur book. The movie should be out soon.

Heres to readin
rindy beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

A book that cheers me up is currently on my nightstand: Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

"Pride and Prejudice" is the one for me. The opening line never fails to make me smile: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

And imagining the descriptions given of Pemberley.....and I just love the way she spells the word showed "shewed". i hope that never gets changed!

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Cailiosa 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

I agree . . . Pride and Prejudice is a great read. There is a trilogy in the works which tells Darcy's side of the story called The Chronicles of Pemberley, I believe, written by Pamela Aidan. Definitely a wonderful story so far and she does an excellent job of recapturing the period. They make me love Darcy even more. wub.gif

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Where can you pick that up, Cailiosa? Are any of them in stores yet?
Cailiosa 
Posted: 30-Sep-2004, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Susie, you can order them at Pamela Aidan's website or on Amazon UK and possibly Amazon US.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt