Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, Welsh National Anthem-confident enough?!
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

That's right Siarls it's Irish Gaelic. I believe the term was applied to Irish outlaws in the 15thc.
I usually write the word Gaelic for Irish Gaelic & Gaidhlig for Scots Gaelic. As both words are pronounced differently.

--------------------
Bruidhinnibh Gàidhlig Rium.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I don't know if this is just an Americanism or if it is international, but I recall reading somewhere that, technically, Scottish Gaelic should be referred to as Gaelic and Irish Gaelic as Irish. I've never even heard the Welsh natioanl anthem (shame on me!). And no, I didn't know that Tory came from Gaelic! Very interesting!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siarls 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 07:00 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Sorry, when I see the word Gaelic, I automatically assume Scots Gaelic because in Welsh=
Scots Gaelic Gaeleg (yr Alban)
Irish Gaelic Gwyddeleg

I am shocked that you of all people, Wizard, have not heard the Welsh National Anthem... http://www.wngga.org/HenWlad.html (only works if you have QuickTime).

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Siarls, I've memorized the 1st & 2nd verses and am working on the last half of the 3rd. Bryn Terfel pronounces 'beirdd' 'bAIrdd.' Is that how you say?

There sure are difficult words, 'gwladgarwyr' for example. I can somewhat manage 'r' if it's at the beginning of a word or followed by a vowel. But I can never roll my r's in '-rdd' or '-rd' So, 'bardd' and 'hardd' are unpronounceable for me. Do you have any remedy?

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 13-May-2005, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Thank you, Siarls, for sharing that with me! It was absolutley beautiful! Reminded me of some of the old hymns.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siarls 
Posted: 14-May-2005, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Just don't pronounce hardd and bardd the English-language way. A, unless it has a to bach, will always be pronounced like the A in hAt or cAt.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 18-May-2005, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I'm afraid I'm hopeless. My r's would not roll before 'd' no matter how hard I try. At least I've memorized all the verses. Now I'm ready for a rugby game in Wales!
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

A lot of people can't roll the Rs. I can't roll my Rs after T or D. It's increasingly acceptable to use English Rs. Just make sure that it's an English R you're pronouncing and NOT an English vowel (if you know what I mean?)

Although while watching Star Wars IV, I noticed that some of the British officers (funny how bad guys are always British in American films!) roll their Rs.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Siarls @ 28-May-2005, 05:54 PM)
Just make sure that it's an English R you're pronouncing and NOT an English vowel (if you know what I mean?)

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

I hope rolled r's won't someday disappear from Welsh because they sound soooooo wonderful.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 29-May-2005, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

It won't be for a long time the rolled R leaves Welsh, if it ever does. A lot of people are proud of the rolled R. I am.

I think you should forget what I said about English vowels, etc. In British English, people tend not to pronounce Rs, so "mother" is pronounced "motha". But I remember American friends telling me that they pronounced Rs more than the British do.

What I meant though was that in English, AR is pronounced as a long A, the equivalent to the Welsh Â. However, the A in a Welsh AR is always pronounced like the A in cAt, despite the R. So even if you cannot roll your Rs, please do not pronounce a word like hardd as hâdd.

Have you studied the "TÔ BACH" yet? (The "little roof" above vowels)
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 29-May-2005, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I'm afraid using 'cat' to show the Welsh pronunciation is confusing because Americans pronounce it differently from the English. I don't know how you can roll your r's before 'd' or 'dd' as these sounds stop r's vibration. I'm sure it's difficult to explain it by writing. And even if you showed it to me in person, I don't think I can do it. So, I accept my limitations and remember not to say 'hardd' as 'hâdd'.

I learned that ^ means a long vowel sound.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 30-May-2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

In parts of Wales, they pronounce hardd as hêdd!! Once you become more acquainted with Welsh, I'm sure it'll fall into place.

I feel so restricted by the net, because I am very vocal and verbal in my tutorials.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I had to write about this amazing occurrence! Last night, my 12 year old daughter begged me to teach her how to sing Hen Wlad as I'm singing it all the time. I wrote down the words phonetically and helped her. To my utter delight, she could sing so well! She could even roll all the r's (even 'tra') and her ch's and ll's weren't too bad either.

She's the only one in the family with a singing voice and is often asked to sing Japanese songs at school. She is so excited she can sing a Welsh song that she's going to sing it to her class when she's practiced some more. Just think! Hen Wlad sang at a small American elementary school! (Maybe the first in the Oklahoma history!) And come to think of it, it was the first time for me to hear someone else sing it in person. It was quite fascinating. I can't imagine what I'd feel if I heard it at the Millennium Stadium!

She wanted to know the meaning too. I gave her a general translation though 'gwrol ryfelwyr' maybe a bit too much for a child. At least she knows what 'hen iaith' means.
PMEmail Poster                
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Dec-2005, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I think its great your daughter is singing Hen Wlad in her school. It would be a great thing to hear Welsh sung in an American elementary school indeed. You know Gwen, you might consider teaching her Calon Lan too. Not only is that a traditional Welsh song, but its lyrics are inspiring. .....see below. The Irish/American celtic music band Solas recorded a song The Miner's Life using the tune from Calon Lan. Too bad they didn't record Calon Lan itself!

I had to chuckle when I read back to Siarls' post about the English actors rolling their R's on Star Trek (hadn't seen this thread in a while). I've noticed the same thing. I think they were probably the Shakesperian trained breed. I've noticed there seems to be an upper class tendency to roll R's among the English, though only at certain times. I remember when I saw the first Harry Potter film, all the British actors pronounced the last name "Potta" and the Rs in Harry almost had an L sound....like Hairly Potta almost.

Uh Oh, I hope I'm not getting stuck in bad pronunciation habits, bardd like cat and hat? I was saying the bar in bardd like going to a bar, not like the "bar" in baritone. Which is it?

Gwen, I've noticed that the ei as in beirdd is pronounced by some like bairdd and others like beyrdd. Also the eu in dweud is pronounced by some like dwaid and then I heard someone on Newyddion say dweyd and gwneyd.

Calon Lan

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus
Aur y byd na'i berlau mân
Gofyn rwyf am calon hapus
Calon onest, calon lân.

Cytgan:
Calon lân yn llawn daioni
Tecach yw na'r lili dlos
Does ond calon lân all ganu
Canu'r dydd a chanu'r nos.

Pe dymunwn olud bydol
Chwim adenydd iddo sydd
Golud calon lân rinweddol
Yn dwyn bythol elw fydd.

Cytgan:

Hwyr a bore fy nymuniad
Esgyn ar adenydd cân
Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad
Roddi imi galon lân.

Cytgan:

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Mihangel 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 12:27 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

male

Gwenynen
You must be so proud of your daughter. Your story gave me a tingle up the spine and made me homesick at the same time!

Michael

--------------------
If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
if you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart

Nelson Mandela
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]