> Moving To Ireland, Jobs and immigration
OdogMcAdams 
Posted: 22-Mar-2008, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

male

After I complete college in Ontario, I plan to high-tail this continent and move to Ireland for the rest of my life. But before I make such a large decision. I need to know what the process of immigration it is and what the conditions are there. I am perusing a career of animation and will have a degree in that so I am not sure what the opportunities of that career are. I plan to join a trad-band or something as a percussionist or mandolinist. So please, spew your knowledge of the country on to this thread and throw some pointers at me.
PMEmail Poster               
scotborn 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

If its a career in animatin or media that you are pursuing, I would have that youwould be about 2000 times more likely to get a job in america. Rather than ireland

--------------------
"You cannot be both sane and well educated and disbelieve in evolution. The evidence is so strong that any sane, educated person has got to believe in evolution."
-- Richard Dawkins,

"What the f*ck was that" - Mayor of hiroshima 1945
PMEmail Poster               
OdogMcAdams 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (scotborn @ 23-Mar-2008, 08:50 AM)
If its a career in animatin or media that you are pursuing, I would have that youwould be about 2000 times more likely to get a job in america. Rather than ireland

But that's not the reason as to why I want to move there. I've always wanted to move to Ireland because of it's beauty, history and culture.

Any advice?
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,141 Gold!

I'd suggest contacting the Irish consulate in your area and asking the same questions of them. They ARE the experts.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gwenlee 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I would suggest doing an abroad study while in college and maybe work on a temporary work visa before moving, you will need to know what the job requirement are. Moving to a different country is a big decision, life style and customs are different. Also be sure your are not wanting to move because of some romantic idea. I have to agree with scotborn that you have a better chance of getting job in your chosen field on this side of the pond. Good luck
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Mar-2008, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Do you by chance have Irish ancestry? If your direct grandfather or grandmother was born in Ireland, you can qualify for citizenship, which might make the move/job search a bit easier, along with not having to worry about Visa's, etc. It's a lot of paperwork and takes a while to complete, but may be well worth it. I did it, and now I have dual citizenship. I'll be getting my Irish Passport next.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
scotborn 
Posted: 24-Mar-2008, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (OdogMcAdams @ 23-Mar-2008, 10:23 AM)
But that's not the reason as to why I want to move there. I've always wanted to move to Ireland because of it's beauty, history and culture.

Any advice?

Become a doctor, nurse, it worker, financial expert or something relevent to the current irish economy. You will not get a visa to workin ireland as an animator.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 24-Mar-2008, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I've been thinking about going over to Ireland for 6-24 months to work and to study, and have run in to some of the same questions.... I'm pretty sure you need different visas to work or to study... then there's the issue of finding housing and employment (at least I'm in IT)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Mar-2008, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (OdogMcAdams @ 22-Mar-2008, 11:08 PM)
After I complete college in Ontario, I plan to high-tail this continent and move to Ireland for the rest of my life. But before I make such a large decision. I need to know what the process of immigration it is and what the conditions are there. I am perusing a career of animation and will have a degree in that so I am not sure what the opportunities of that career are. I plan to join a trad-band or something as a percussionist or mandolinist. So please, spew your knowledge of the country on to this thread and throw some pointers at me.

Actually, there are jobs available in animation in Ireland and one of the best schools for teaching such, happens to be in Ireland, Dun Laoghaire College of Art and Design.

You might want to contact a few of the studios:

The Cartoon Saloon www.cartoonsaloon.ie

Brown Bag Films www.brownbagfilms.com

Terraglyph Productions
Address: 8 Grants Row, Dublin 2
Telephone: +353-1-678 7990
Fax: +353-1-678 7993
Email: [email protected]

Telegael Media Group http://www.telegael.com/
Galway, Ireland

May want to hook up with the Illustrators Guild of Ireland. Maybe some one might take an interest in you. http://www.illustratorsireland.com/

Why not spend a few weeks in Ireland first, before you decide to pursue your dream career there. Even if you end up with a animation job in Canada, Ireland is only a 7 hour flight away, any time you want to go back. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
OdogMcAdams 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 25-Mar-2008, 05:25 PM)
Why not spend a few weeks in Ireland first, before you decide to pursue your dream career there. Even if you end up with a animation job in Canada, Ireland is only a 7 hour flight away, any time you want to go back. wink.gif

Exactly what I was planning to do smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
OdogMcAdams 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

QUOTE (OdogMcAdams @ 26-Mar-2008, 07:51 PM)
Exactly what I was planning to do smile.gif

Thanks for all the info by the way!
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]