Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,071 Gold!

Background: The Clan Donald, often described as the most powerful of the clans, hold as their eponymous ancestor Donald of Islay, who succeeeded his father Reginald or Ranald, son of Somerled, Lord of the Isle in 1207. Somerled's campaigns spanned over forty years, during which time he gained a kingdom and the hand of Ragnhild, daughter of King Olvav the Red, Norse King of Man and the Isles. The story of this match is part of the origin legends of Clan Macintyre. The new empire stretched from Bute to Ardnamurchan, including Lorne, Argyll and Kintyre on the mainland.

Variations: Alexander, Begg, Burk, Crombie, Donillson, Dowall, Gowrie, Hewitson, Hewitt, Hughson, Johnson, Kellie, MacA'Challies, MacBeath, MacCaishe, MacCall, MacCash, MacCaul, MacCeallaich, MacCutchen, MacIlleriach, MacIlreach, MacIlriach, MacIlvride, MacKellachie, MacKellagh, MacLardie, MacLellan, MacRurie, MacShannachan, MacSwen, Norie, O'Drain, O'Shaig, O'Shannachan, O'Shannaig, Philipson, Pitullich, Ronald, Ronaldson, Sanderson, Alastair, Allister, Anderson, Ballach, Balloch, Beath, Beaton, Bethune, Beton, Bowie, Brodie, Budge, Buie, Bulloch, Cambridge, Cathal, Cathil, Cochran, Cochrane, Coll, Colson, Conn, Connal, Connall, Connell, Cook, Cooke, Coull, Coulson, Cririe, Cromb, Crum, Daniel, Daniels, Darrach, Darroch, Donald, Donaldson, Donnell, Donnellson, Drain, Dunnel, Forrest, Forrester, Galbraith, Galbreath, Gall, Galt, Gaul, Gauld, Gault, Gilbride, Gill, Gorrie, Gorry, Gowan, Gowans, Hawthorn, Henderson, Hendrie, Hendry, Henry, Heron, Hewison, Houston, Houstoun, Howat, Howe, Howie, Howison, Hudson, Hutcheon, Hutcheonson, Hutcheson, Hutchin, Hutchinson, Hutchison, Hutchon, Hutson, Isles, Jeffrey, Johnson, Johnstone, Kean, Keegan, Keene, Keighren, Kelly, Kinnell, Laing, Lang, Leitch, MacArthur, MacBeth, MacBheath, MacBrayne, MacBride, MacBryde, MacCaa, MacCairn, MacCambridge, MacCarron, MacCaw, MacCay, MacCluskie, MacCodrum, MacColl, MacConnal, MacConnell, MacCooish, MacCook, MacCosham, MacCrain, MacCran, MacCrierie, MacCrorie, MacCrum, MacCuaig, MacCuish, MacCuithein, MacCutcheon, MacDaniell, MacDonald, MacDrain, MacEachern, MacEachran, MacElfrish, MacElheran, MacGaa, MacGaw, MacGeachy, MacGechie, MacGee, MacGhee, MacGhie, MacGill, MacGilp, MacGorrie, MacGorry, MacGoun, MacGow, MacGowan, MacGown, MacGrain, MacHendrie, MacHendry, MacHenry, MacHugh, MacHutchen, MacHutcheon, MacIan, MacIan, MacIllrick, MacIlrevie, MacIlwraith, MacIlwrick, MacIver, MacIvor, MacKain, MacKane, Mackay, MacKeachie, MacKean, MacKeand, MacKee, MacKellaig, MacKellaigh, MacKelloch, MacKerron, MacKey, MacKie, MacKiggan, MacKillop, MacKinnell, MacLairish, MacLardy, MacLarty, MacLaverty, MacLeverty, MacMurchie, MacMurchy, MacMurdo, MacMurdoch, MacO'Shannaig, MacO'Shannaig, MacPhilip, MacQuilkan, MacQuistan, MacQuisten, MacRaith, MacRearie, MacRorie, MacRory, MacRuer, MacRury, MacRyrie, MacSorley, MacSporran, MacSwan, MacSween, MacWhan, MacWhannell, Mark, Marquis, Martin, May, Murchie, Murchison, Murdoch, Murdoson, Murphy, O'May, Paton, Patten, Peden, Philip, Philp, Purcell, Reoch, Revie, Riach, Robison, Roderick, Rorie, Rorison, Ryrie, Shannon, Shennan, Sorley, Sorlie, Sporran, Train, Whannel, Whannell, Wheelan, Whellan, Wilkie, Wilkinson

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=31

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 04-Jul-2007, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

What I would like to know is why that I found the name Cook in the McDonald clan
and also in the clan Stewart? I know as well that there is some Cook in British heraldry as well.

So how do we know to which we belong really?

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 04-Jul-2007, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,451 Gold!

There are many names which can be septs of more than one clan. And some names may be Scottish or English or other nationalities. In cases where there is not a definite origin for the name, you must know where your ancestors came from to know which clan (or in some cases, which nationality) you belong to.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 04-Jul-2007, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Thanks for the info sir.

I'll just have to work harder in my research for the Cook name.
But from what little I know is that my husband's great great grand dad was from Scotland but from where I don't know.

So does this mean that we could wear both clan colors?
TandVh 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

Hmmm- seeing Henderson in that list makes me raise my eyebrows. I know that the Hendersons and the MacDonalds were closely associated in Glencoe due to the MacEanruig clan's intermarriage with the MacDonalds, but, all the history I've read so far puts the Hendersons as either a sept of Gunn, or the descendants of the house of Henry. MacEanruig = Son of Henry.

--------------------
TandVh
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,451 Gold!

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 04-Jul-2007, 07:43 PM)

So does this mean that we could wear both clan colors?

It would be "proper" to only wear the tartan that is associated with your family. But in your case, since you don't know which (but are fairly sure of the Scottish derivation), I'd say pick one and stick with it. While some folks insist on being extremely proper and exact, the fact that your celebrating your heritage is more important to me. There will always be those who want documentation, but most folks aren't that rigid.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Thanks again M.Scotsman for the precious info.

I've been talking with one man at the Montreal Highland Games last year and he was able to found on the internet the Cook tartan.

Which I'm a bit suspicious about the authenticity of it since Cook was not a "clan"
it is a sept of 2 clans. But all the same the colors are beautiful and similar to the ones of Nova Scotia.

But I've never been able to found anything on the internet and he didn't want to tell me where he found it so... if anybody can tell me where to look or know if there is such a thing as sept colors i'd appreciate it verra much.

TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,451 Gold!

A good place to start would be House of Tartan. They have a page on Electric Scotland at http://www.electricscotland.com/tartans/index.htm or their own homepage at http://www.houseoftartan.co.uk/ . Electric Scotland ( http://www.electricscotland.com/ )itself is a good general resource. While everything there is not authoritative, it is still a good place to start research and in many cases can point you in the right direction. I hope that you and your family will enjoy going to various festivals and gatherings. Learning one's personal history is fascinating and the social aspects of participating in many of the activities is very rewarding.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Yes I know very well Electric Scotland I've a fan for a good 5 years now and receive their newletters every week.

And yes I've done some research on the site as well but couldn't find the Cook
tartan unfortunately...and Alastair McIntyre change the site a little bit since he moved to Canada he is no longer in Scotland anymore.

Thanks
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 06-Jul-2007, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,451 Gold!

House of Tartan shows a "Cooke" tartan.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

You've been a great help sir.

I'm the Electric Scotland site right now looking this up.
Its almost the same as the one that I have here at home.

Thanks
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

My great grandmother's maidian name of Kelly is in there but as they were from England there may have been no official membership.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]