Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Celtic Rock/Celtic Punk, Where do I start?
TheCelticPirate 
Posted: 18-Mar-2008, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

The Tossers are my number one, but you should always add in the defaults such as the pogues, flogging molly, and dropkick murphys
PMEmail Poster               
lschillinger 
Posted: 05-Jan-2009, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

A lot of great groups listed here. Here are some not mentioned that I'm a fan of:

The Young Dubliners ( LOVE their version of Rocky Road to Dublin)

Seven Nations

The Kildares

The Killigans

Mahones

The Bloody Irish Boys

Rielly

Lenahan

Ashley MacIsaac - He has a range of songs, great fiddle player (its better than his singing for sure! Thankfully there are quite a few instrumental pieces or pieces with others singing)

Darby O'Gill and the Little People - Hilarious lyrics though can be explicit at times. Not to be confused with Darby O'Gill who also has some great music, but its a little more towards the traditional side.

A good place to go to check may be paddyrock.com.

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mallaidh 
Posted: 12-Mar-2009, 08:39 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

- Black 47 - Definitely one of the best bands around. Great integration of Irish traditions with punk and a bit of jazz. Their covers of traditional songs are good, but the originals are better. They have a few love songs, but their best stuff is based on Irish history/politics. Larry Kirwan is a brilliant writer, and unlike so many punk frontmen, has a good voice. Fanatic Heart and James Connolly are my favorites.

- The Dropkick Murphys - Loud and fun for parties, but a little generic. It all sounds the same after about 20 minutes. Do or Die is pretty good, as is Barroom Hero. (And, of course, the famed Shipping Up to Boston.)

- The Pogues - Classic. I'm always surprised that they have a punk reputation, since most of my favorites by them are (relatively) mellow, but I suppose with Shane McGowan around they can't be anything else. Anyway, Boys from the County Hell is good and one of their harder songs.

- Enter the Haggis - Not well known yet, but they should be soon! Try Lanigan's Ball, Gasoline, The Minstrel Boy and maybe One Last Drink. (The latter is good, but only borderline rock.)

- The Bloody Irish Boys - Drunk Tonight. It's the only song of theirs that I know, but I'm sure there's more where that came from. The same goes for Never Go Home Again by the Charm City Saints.
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 12-Mar-2009, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

QUOTE (lschillinger @ 05-Jan-2009, 01:37 PM)
A lot of great groups listed here. Here are some not mentioned that I'm a fan of:

The Young Dubliners ( LOVE their version of Rocky Road to Dublin)

Seven Nations

The Kildares

The Killigans

Mahones

The Bloody Irish Boys

Rielly

Lenahan

Ashley MacIsaac - He has a range of songs, great fiddle player (its better than his singing for sure! Thankfully there are quite a few instrumental pieces or pieces with others singing)

Darby O'Gill and the Little People - Hilarious lyrics though can be explicit at times. Not to be confused with Darby O'Gill who also has some great music, but its a little more towards the traditional side.

A good place to go to check may be paddyrock.com.

Yes these are some really good bands, and Darby O'Gill and the little people do have a way with words. I have heard them on paddyrock.com..

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
conquerant 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

There is a wesite devoted to Celtic punk and rock groups, www.shitenonions.com. And even better, the have a station at live365.com: http://www.live365.com/stations/jjfmurphy. You have to be a VIP member to listen to their station, although if you're not you might want to give it a try, live365 has a lot of great stations, both celtic and also just every other genre there is. On the shite n onions station you'll hear proably every band suggested here, and even more! It's a great way to get familiar with a wide range of celtic punk and rock.

I agree with a lot of the bands already suggested, but let me add two more that haven't been listed.

Neck: http://www.neck.ie/Welcome.html A great band from London started by one of the former members of Shane MacGowan and the Popes. "Everyday's St Patrick's Day" is a bit of a personal anthem for me smile.gif

Reilly: http://www.reillyrocks.com/ A local band from my hometown Milwaukee, thought I'd give them a little exposure here smile.gif Great Pogues/Flogging Molly type band. On their website are links to their CDs on CDBaby/Amazon/iTunes, give a listen to the samples and if you like them download the album! And this past Christmas they put out of the greatest Christmas albums ever smile.gif "Dear Santa (I Can Explain)" really should become a new beloved Holiday favorite smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
lschillinger 
Posted: 13-Apr-2009, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

Reilly: http://www.reillyrocks.com/ A local band from my hometown Milwaukee, thought I'd give them a little exposure here

Yes I like them a lot as well I mentioned them in my post above (though I performed a wonderful typo). So hopefully they've got a good "shout out" wink.gif Good rock band.

Here are a few more I enjoy....
Meisce
Mr. Irish Bastard
Rathkeltair
Rising Gael
Scythian
The Gobshites
The Blaggards
Cruachan - they do an awesome spancil hill
The Porters
The Mighty Regis
Vandon Arms - Love them!
The Rumjacks
The wakes - not "hard" rock, but a nice up beat quick pace
Ceann

An irish friend introduced me to a band called Kila recently. They are popular in his part of Ireland. I really like them really good sound. Having a hard time finding any of their music to buy and download or an american place to buy the CD. Could order the CD from their site, but by the time I have it shipped and all of that fun business its pretty pricey!

I've also recently got onto The Screaming Orphans. They are a bit like the Corrs/Cranberries

http://www.thescreamingorphans.com/

togo 
Posted: 17-Apr-2009, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

Here's a link to a pretty good discission on this tiopic on another forum I subscribe too that you might find interesting to look at:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...pic=447276&st=0

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]