Viriato 
Posted: 13-Aug-2005, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: In a boat in the North Hebrides

male

I wonder if there is any online translator of Scottich Gaelic like the Babelfish for other languages.

I am preparing the final examination for the Intermediate Level and it would help. I am not trying to cheat angel_not.gif -well... I think smile.gif - since those translations are not very perfect and still I will need to correct them but I am a bit short of time and a translator will speed up the learning.

Does any one knows about this kind of software available?

Ta

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
Tino, àn Gaileach

"It is better Honour without ships than ships without Honour"
- Admiral Méndez Núñez
PMEmail Poster               
Eiric 
Posted: 29-Aug-2005, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

Tha Gàidhlig cànan glè dheacair - and therefore there is no SGaelic online Babelfishy thing online... Still, there's SMO's homepage where you can translate things word by word(DICTONARY THAT MEANS), but you have to know all grammar to do it satisfactory...

Slàn!

Eiric

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an còirichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu chòir dhaibh a bhith beò nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
Viriato 
Posted: 29-Aug-2005, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Ta Eiric

I am using already the Sabhal Mòr Ostaig translation site because there is precisely where I am studying the distance course.

Because it is in the Isle of Sky for it is just cross channel. I am in Caolas Loch Portain which is next to Lochmmady. I can take my boat straight to Uig or take the ferry from Lochmmady to Uig so it is pretty handy.

Sorry but I tend to use the English denomination -Beginners, Elementary, Intermediate and Proficiency- but in Scotland the education system -as well as the Social Security- is miles ahead of England and they are more comprehensive -and tougher- but also structured to make easy to make it, so the course is 8 levels before you are allowed to go into the Graduate 4 levels -plus the access- so I am still in Short Courses Level 3. It is a long way to go but I have decided to speak fluently the language of Breogan and my ancestors and I always do what I want.

Thank you once more.

see you around

Tino
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 29-Aug-2005, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Viriato 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 11:33 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Thanks dundee smile.gif

Some times does... A couple of times before someone in the Forum was so kind to find the Scottish Gaelic translation for me but they are specialized in Irish Gaelic.

Also it is a Forum not a translation site so not always the translation is very realistic and too much too often they start messing around arguing between them if this like "this" or it is like "that" and so on and me totaly lost in the mist. smile.gif

It is fanny that there mis translation sites for things like Swahili, Catalán, Basque and Galician but nothing for Gaelic. Even Google can translate those rare languages but -on spite of that it says that it does- not Gaelic. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Maybe it's time to think about building one, and maybe even hosting it here. smile.gif We could start by getting in touch with the ones who did the Irish one and finding out what's involved.

There are on-line dictionaries, gaidhlig to english -- if they were downloaded and converted to something like Excel, for example, the columns could be flipped over to English first and then alpha-sorted. Huge job, and I know it shows how primitive my computer understanding is smile.gif -- but it's not impossible. I have two gaidhlig dictionaries in my ThinkPad, that I simply copied and pasted into Word files, and I am beginning to do this myself.

Not a translator, but a start. I know what you mean about a forum, quibbling about the best way to gloss something -- but humans are better in the long run than an automatic translator anyway.
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I am agree with Stoirmeil and why can't we create the translator?If we are a sufficient number of people ready to work on this we can split the job between us.We can see for some tips and advices and see if we can do it.
PMEmail Poster               
Viriato 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Sorry for the delay, but has been very hectic times for me.

Among other things, I've been trying to get a mooring in my birthplace's bay -Vigo- to see live the departure of the VOR but all is full up since one year ago.

All is in my post on the Galilcian Forum today.

After all you help I thought that I owed some updated to all of you.

Just to say that I did pass the examinations and I am now in Level 4.

I think that the idea of the translator is pretty good. Don't give up! If there is something that I can do...
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 05-Nov-2005, 03:51 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

And me smile.gif. Let me know when ye start working seriously on this. My partner Bruce has the computer expertise that we need and it should be an easy thing for him to write the programm for the translator smile.gif.

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]