Patch 
Posted: 25-Mar-2009, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

"It has ever been my hobby-horse to see rising in America an empire of liberty, and a prospect of two or three hundred millions of freemen, without one noble or one king among them. You say it is impossible. If I should agree with you in this, I would still say, let us try the experiment, and preserve our equality as long as we can."

--John Adams, letter to Count Sarsfield, 3 February 1786

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 25-Mar-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Here comes the orator! With his flood of words, and his drop of reason."

--Benjamin Franklin

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 27-Mar-2009, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"The ordaining of laws in favor of one part of the nation, to the prejudice and oppression of another, is certainly the most erroneous and mistaken policy. An equal dispensation of protection, rights, privileges, and advantages, is what every part is entitled to, and ought to enjoy."

--Benjamin Franklin, Emblematical Representations, circa 1774

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 27-Mar-2009, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

It seems our founding fathers certainly did some profound thinking and had a lot to say about it!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 30-Mar-2009, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Wise politicians will be cautious about fettering the government with restrictions that cannot be observed, because they know that every break of the fundamental laws, though dictated by necessity, impairs that sacred reverence which ought to be maintained in the breast of rulers towards the constitution of a country."

--Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 25, 21 December 1787

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 30-Mar-2009, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself." --James Madison, Federalist No. 51

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 05:05 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Although there may be unjust and unequal laws, obedience to which would be incompatible with liberty; yet no man will contend, that a nation can be free, that is not governed by fixed laws. All other government than that of permanent known laws, is the government of mere will and pleasure, whether it be exercised by one, a few, or many.

John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America/Vol. 1/Chap. 4

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"I am commonly opposed to those who modestly assume the rank of champions of liberty, and make a very patriotic noise about the people. It is the stale artifice which has duped the world a thousand times, and yet, though detected, it is still successful."

--Fisher Ames, letter to George Richard Minot, 23 June 1789

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 02-Apr-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"It is necessary for every American, with becoming energy to endeavor to stop the dissemination of principles evidently destructive of the cause for which they have bled. It must be the combined virtue of the rulers and of the people to do this, and to rescue and save their civil and religious rights from the outstretched arm of tyranny, which may appear under any mode or form of government."

--Mercy Warren, History of the Rise, Progress, and Termination of the American Revolution, 1805

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments in one, and thus to create whatever the form of government, a real despotism. A just estimate of that love of power, and proneness to abuse it, which predominates in the human heart is sufficient to satisfy us of the truth of this position."

--George Washington, Farewell Address, 1796

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home."

--George Washington

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Didn't we just sign that away at the G 20?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 03-Apr-2009, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

You noticed. I fear we have squandered the legacy we were entrusted with, to protect for our children and grand children. The following was quoted earlier in this topic. "Anyone who is willing to trade a little liberty for a little perceived safety deserves none of either." Unfortunately, we may have arrived.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 04-Apr-2009, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

This is a little long....and yes I know the author wasn't a Founding Father, but he was a contemporary of the Founders and a friend and supporter of our cause.

"I found a great distemper in the commonwealth; and, according to the nature of evil and of the object, I treated it. The malady was deep; it was complicated, in the causes and in the symptoms. Throughout it was full of contra-indicants. On one hand Government, daily growing more invidious for an apparent increase of the means of strength, was every day growing more contemptible by real weakness. Nor was this dissolution confined to Government commonly so called. It extended to Parliament; which was losing not a little in its dignity and estimation, by an opinion of its not acting on worthy motives. On the other hand, the desires of the People (partly natural and partly infused into them by art), appeared in so wild and inconsiderate a manner, with regard to the economical object (for I set aside for a moment the dreadful tampering with the body of the Constitution itself) that if their petitions had literally been complied with, the State would have been convulsed; and a gate would have been opened, through which all property might be sacked and ravaged. Nothing could have saved the Public from the mischiefs of the false reform but its absurdity; which would soon have brought itself, and with it all real reform, into discredit. This would have left a rankling wound in the hearts of the people who would know they had failed in the accomplishment of their wishes, but who, like the rest of mankind in all ages, would impute the blame to any thing rather than to their own proceedings. But there were then persons in the world, who nourished complaint; and would have been thoroughly disappointed if the people were ever satisfied. I was not of that humour. I wished that they should be satisfied. It was my aim to give to the People the substance of what I knew they desired, and what I thought was right whether they desired it or not, before it had been modified for them into senseless petitions. I knew that there is a manifest marked distinction, which ill men, with ill designs, or weak men incapable of any design, will constantly be confounding, that is, a marked distinction between Change and Reformation. The former alters the substance of the objects themselves; and gets rid of all their essential good, as well as of all the accidental evil annexed to them. Change is novelty; and whether it is to operate any one of the effects of reformation at all, or whether it may not contradict the very principle upon which reformation is desired, cannot be certainly known beforehand. Reform is, not a change in the substance, or in the primary modification of the object, but a direct application of a remedy to the grievance complained of. So far as that is removed, all is sure. It stops there; and if it fails, the substance which underwent the operation, at the very worst, is but where it was."

Edmund Burke
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2009, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Let the pulpit resound with the doctrine and sentiments of religious liberty. Let us hear of the dignity of man's nature, and the noble rank he holds among the works of God... Let it be known that British liberties are not the grants of princes and parliaments."

--John Adams, Dissertation on the Canon and Feudal Law, 1765

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]