Posted: 03-May-2005, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

After what I have read I think it will be interesting to hear story of each other .How did you choose a pagan path , reaction of family and friend.How do you deal with difficulties of everyday.Say how you feel and write what you never write before.

It will be nice to see how everyone here have start , give support , help and encouragement during difficult period.Some of us cannot talk to people around them .I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation.

So I invitated everyone to post a little something .
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Until what I learned talking to some of the Pagans I was travelling with in Ireland, I studied Paganism in various forms but was hesitant to say I practiced anything. I still won't yet say I practice much, but I do believe in it and would practice at least some aspects, perticularly common to Druidism and Wicca (as well as, to some extint at least, Shamanism?).

To be quite honest, It was Hollywood that prompted me to begin studies. I am quite aware how they stretch the truth, and am also aware of how they like to lace outragous fictions with shreads of truth. I wanted to know what the basis was, as well as what would have sparked the miscomceptions which seem to only have grown in society since 1000 AD. I wanted to know who witches really were. This is a quest that has since grown to include Druids and, to a lesser extint, the other pagan religons.

Along this quest, I have found my own beliefs in what I see as a common thread that runs through any religon I've studied to any real degree. I don't think anyone has all the answers, but all the goals are the same. As a result, I still feel I can call myself Christian while believing in the Pagan teachings enough to also call myself a Pagan. My belief on him is that he may have had the answers, but I don't think anyone really understood him when he tried to give that truth, which then combined with a lot of human error. At the same time. I do feel a connection with nature, and I do believe in the Druidic view that God/Goddess is in everything. I also prefer the Wiccan rede for the phrasing of what I believe to be the core truths. The Golden Rule, as some call it

As for what family thinks of it, it's not an issue. The family is Christian, so when I'm talking about God or religon with them I discuss the subject from a Christian perspective, although I am not afraid to bring up Pagan beliefs in the conversation and show how that meshes with the Christian views. I've had some people tell me I'm wrong. And I've had some people try to condemn me to Hell for my beliefs (less so since I began studying Paganism, actually). The most negative reaction I tend to run into anymore is from those who don't believe that Christianity and Pagan beliefs are compatible, despite what I see as numerous examples of it in history, and in the church. But hey, if that's what they believe. I don't agree, but I can respect that those folks believe differently than I do.

And ye harm none, Do as ye will.
God Bless, and Blessed Be

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Moon Child 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 12:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

Aediwen, I read an article in my 2004 Wicca Almanac about blending Christianity and Wiccan. It was quite interesting and it talks about people blending their beliefs of Christianity and Wiccan together. It might be worth checking out if you haven't already! happy.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Dreamer1 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

QUOTE (Moon Child @ 07-May-2005, 02:41 AM)
Aediwen, I read an article in my 2004 Wicca Almanac about blending Christianity and Wiccan. It was quite interesting and it talks about people blending their beliefs of Christianity and Wiccan together. It might be worth checking out if you haven't already!  happy.gif

Moon Child,

I'd really be interested in reading that article! Would it be possible to post it here, with appropriate credits, or could you give us a link to follow?? Thanks for whatever you're able to manage. cheers.gif

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Moon Child 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Dreamer1, I could type the article into this forum but it would be a really large post. The article is also 4 1/2 pages but if you'd like I can type it out!

If you want to buy the book it's called LLewellyn's 2004 Wicca Alamanac for Spring 2004 to Spring 2005. The article is called "Jesus in the Circle: Blending Christianity And Wicca" by S.Tifulcrum. The book is $12.50 CAN and $7.95 US. I know that they have it at Chapters (I'm not sure if you have them down there!) but you can also order it online on LLewellyn's website. It's http://www.llewellyn.com. The book is really good they have other really good articles in it as well!!

happy.gif
Moon Child
PMEmail Poster                
Shadows 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I find this amazing... christianity sprang from pagan practices and now paginism is alining itself with christianity...

Does anyone see the irony in this....?

It means to me that no matter what one believes the basic truths come through... treat ALL like you would be treated...

Is that not the underlying message of all religions?

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
Celeste 
  Posted: 09-May-2005, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: The Mile High City Baby!!

female

Well since I did post how I came to be a Wiccan on the other thread i'll just elaborate in this one.

After I found the trunk my grandmother told me never to read or touch anything in it or I would be cursed. (She's Southern Baptist, but also very superstious)
I of course being the rebel I am offered to get rid of the trunk for her and kept it for myself. I figured if Grannaw didn't want me to touch it, it must be good.
I think I spent the next year reading anything and everything I could get my hands on from the Original Witches Bible all the way to Scott Cunningham (Who is my fav author by the way). I also stared meditating more frequently ( I've been meditating since I was 8 when I got diagnosed with ADD). I spoke to my husband about it and with him being an agnostic he was very supportive.
I started reading Tarot cards not long after that and did a reading for my sister as a way to "break the ice" when I told her I had decided to convert to Wiccanism. She was sceptical about it, but she has always supported my decisions.
Next I told my mom, she wasn't as supportive. She asked why I would do such a stupid thing. I calmly told her my decision was not something I came to over night and that I'd done a lot of research and soul searching to get there. I told her that as far as i was concerned God had never been there for me and I was lost so I found my own way. She started crying and said " I always hoped to see all of my children in Heaven with me, but not I guess that won't happen." I replied with. "Mom, it doesn't matter if you believe in Heaven, or I believe in reincarnation when we die we all go to the same place and if your right you have my permission to do your "I told you so" song and dance and if i'm right just come give me a hug." (She really does do a song and dance when she does it!)
I then told my dad, who was really cool with it. He saw the penacle I wear and said "what are you Jewish now?" I said "No dad I'm a Wiccan" "Oh. Well at least your keeping up the family tradition." "whats that?" "Finding your own way in life."
See my dads a frizbaterian. He belives when you die you go up on the roof and can't get back down. He found his own way.
The only person I haven't told is my Grannaw. Honestly I don't think I ever will. Its not that i'm ashamed, its just I know she would never speak to me again. She doesn't have a lot of years left and I want to be a part of her life for as long as she's here.
Well I guess thats it.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

Have a day!!!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet again!!

"Always shoot for the moon, that way if you miss you'll always land amoung the stars." -Tiffany Norton-Islas

"An it harm non do what you will"
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I was raised Catholic, my mom is now a minister in the Episcopal church, my dad who always was agnostic is now one of her followers...

I have always been rebelious and contrary, I find my own way... paganism has been a great guide in my life for many, many years...

A religion that leaves out the remainder of nature in my mind is "NOT" a true religion... all things are of the creater!!!! And should be treated as such!

I have always in my mind and practices been a "pagan".
Swanny 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

When I was 15 years old I had a vision. In my vision I saw a group of men building a new Protestant Christian church with a huge, beautiful walnut wood cross behind the alter. In my vision I walked up and touched the cross, and found it was actually made of plastic. In fact, everything I touched was made of plastic. Nothing was as it appeared to be.

When I walked outside the door of the church a spirit guide took me by the hand and led me into the wokderness, where everything I touched and saw and heard and smelled was real. The spirit guide handed me a pipe and pointed to a path.

I'm 50 years old, and I've walked that path ever since.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

QUOTE (Moon Child @ 09-May-2005, 10:47 AM)
Dreamer1, I could type the article into this forum but it would be a really large post. The article is also 4 1/2 pages but if you'd like I can type it out!

If you want to buy the book it's called LLewellyn's 2004 Wicca Alamanac for Spring 2004 to Spring 2005. The article is called "Jesus in the Circle: Blending Christianity And Wicca" by S.Tifulcrum. The book is $12.50 CAN and $7.95 US. I know that they have it at Chapters (I'm not sure if you have them down there!) but you can also order it online on LLewellyn's website. It's http://www.llewellyn.com. The book is really good they have other really good articles in it as well!!

happy.gif
Moon Child

Moon Child,

My gosh, I hadn't realized the article was that long! ohmy.gif I would never ask you to type that whole thing out here for me! I'll follow the links you've given, and find it. I'm glad you told us about it!

Thanks,
Dreamer1
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Moon Child 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Your welcome Dreamer1! If you do decide the book I think you'll enjoy it since there are a lot of really interesting articles in there!! happy.gif
PMEmail Poster                
bubba 
Posted: 25-May-2005, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

Getting to my Pagan faith was a long and tiring road. When I was in Nam I came to see the Christianity being taught and preached was a death cult and I'd seen more than enough death for many lifetimes. I still thought of myself as somewhat a Christian but had little to do with it in reality. I went through most of my adult life with no real faith to speak of and hearing the fundamentalists of many faiths talk just left me disgusted. Over the last couple of years of thought, meditation and soulsearching I came to the Goddess and my new faith and beliefs suit me well. It's an affirmation of the cycle of life and reverence for creation. My family has pretty much accepted my beliefs without a problem. My mother said she was just happy I found a faith that I can accept and live with that recognizes something greater than myself. I'm becoming a better person for it.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
Sìmeag 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

I was raised Catholic, knew it wasn't for me, tried other forms of Christianity; same deal. Went through a range of religions, even tried various New Age ideas. Nothing worked for me on a personal level. All that was left was paganism.

What is it that the say? Its always in the last place you look? biggrin.gif Well, that was for me and paganism. Certainly, everything I had held true from a young age could be found in the particular path I now follow.

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]