Posted: 29-Jul-2005, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Seen as the National Eisteddfod of Wales is soon taking place (unfortunately, I shall be in Italy this year), how would you feel about a mini learner's Eisteddfod right here in Celticradio.net? smile.gif

What a way to get the Wales forum moving again and celebrate our most important national festival! biggrin.gif

We can put on here whatever we like... poems, short stories, songs, memoirs... cool.gif

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 07-Aug-2005, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

I didn't notice this post until now, Siarls. You are in Italy now so please write more after you're back.

You mean poems and such in Welsh or English? If it's only in Welsh, I'm sure I can't contribute much.

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
austaff 
Posted: 10-Aug-2005, 11:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

that sounds like a good idea Siarls talk more about it when you get back biggrin.gif

--------------------
A fo ben bid bont
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 11-Aug-2005, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Good idea! Gwen, you could try writing something in English, then translate it into Welsh. The winner of the learner's prize at the 'Steddfod a couple of years ago did that with his winning poem. If not a poem, then maybe a short essay or story. It doesn't have to be very long. Maybe an ancedote. Everyone's Welsh seems to be improving lately, I'm sure you can do it. I'll try too, and though I can't speak for you Austaff, I'm thinking you'd be willing if we all contributed something, and Siarls would have to contribute since it was his idea wink.gif

We could start a new thread, and if it worked out well we could continue it. It would be a good way to continue our learning and be fun at the same time. Please give us your ideas when you return Siarls.

Siarls, that's something you could write about - tell us in Welsh about your latest travels to beautiful Italy. I for one am anxious to hear all about your visit.

Maybe we could start a new thread, Esteddfod barhaol, which could just be in Welsh (if everyone agrees) where we could post our stuff. I don't think Wizard of Owls and the other monitors would mind, since they approved the Welsh with vocab thread. That's another idea, we could provide geirfa if you want. Just brainstorming a bit here.....

Antwn

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 13-Aug-2005, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Well, I was considering that we could write in any language: English, Welsh or Welsh English! I am presently writing an essay I have delightfully called "Memoirs d'Italia", but for the time being it's in English because I've made a little book of photos, tickets, maps and short passages.

Anyway, I also thought it'd be a good way to improve your Welsh or knowledge of Wales. For if you didn't feel confident enough to write in Welsh, it could be about Wales! Or Patagonia! Or even the Hen Ogledd.
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 13-Aug-2005, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Sounds good to me Siarls. I'd love to hear all about your travels to Italia in either language. I've always wanted to visit the lake Como area along with Florence, Tuscany and Umbria.

Can you post your photos on this site somewhere? There is a section under "Servies" called photo gallery. I don't know how to use it. Like Gwen, I'm not very computer literate either. I'd love to see the sites where you went though, if you have photos.

Antwn
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 15-Aug-2005, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Here's a short poem I wrote recently to get us started:

METHU CYSGU
-----------------
Ni allwn gysgu
Nid achos fy mod yn drist
Nid achos fy mod yn dy angen, dy eisiau
Yr wyf yn gwenu
Ni allwn gysgu
Achos fy mod wrth fy modd
Ni allwn gysgu
Achos fy mod yn dy garu
Ni allwn gysgu
Achos bod dy fod yn maethu f'enaid
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 15-Aug-2005, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I'll be hard to post anything after this one, Siarls! You should enter it in a competition.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 15-Aug-2005, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I tried to pick a simple poem as well! Come on, guys - you can think of something!!
This poem really matters the way you say it. It doesn't do justice to be read.
PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 16-Aug-2005, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Unwaith yr Flwyddyn

Pryd dw i'n ifanc iawn does dim lawer o cerbydau o gwmpas. Unwaith yr flwyddyn bydden ni mynd i'r traeth gyda yr ysgol dydd Sul. Byddwn i codi'n gynnar yn yr bore dydd Sadwrn mae haul yn disgleirio, gwisgo yn fy dillad gorau ac sandalau newydd..Allan mewn yr stryd gyda fy bwced ac rhaw arhosais i efo fy ffrindiau am yr bws. Ar yr bws bydden ni chwarae gemau ac canu tan rhywun a enwyd "dw i weld i mor".

Ar yr traeth eich tad prynu yr cadeiriau blygu ac bydden ni eistedd yn yr cylch efo eich cefnderoedd ac ffrindiau.Mae mor yn oer ond bydden ni chwarae yn yr mor tan ro'n ni'n ysgrydion ac las efo y oer Hoffwn i i reidiau ar yr asynnod ar yr traeth. Gallen ni chwarae pêl droed neu criced neu rhedeg yn yr rasys os chi ennill byddet ti gael ceiniog i wario. Am yr ceiniog allen i prynu "afal toffi" neu "candy floss"

Amser cinio fwyta yr brechdanau eich mam wedi wneud ac sudd oren i diod. Wedyn claddu fy nhad yn yr tywod pan mae e'n cysgu neu adeiladu castell tywod, rhedeg mewn i mor efo eich bwced cyrchu dwr am yr ffos.

Yn yr noswaith bydden ni mynd i'r ffair dyn ni yn cael llawer o hwyl yn y ffair gobeithio ennill pysgodyn aur ac mynd am y reidiau. Wedyn plât o Faggots and Peas ac prynu "stick of rock" am mam-gu cyn mynd yn ôl y bws. Ar y bws bydden ni canu caneuon hen tan cyrhaeddodd adref wedi blino. tan flwyddyn nesaf. angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 17-Aug-2005, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I like your poem Siarls, thanks for breaking the ice. Ausaff, your story reminds me of times I used to play on the beach as a kid too. Maybe I'll write one about the same subject. Ok, this is my first time trying this, but I wrote some englynion last night to post here. I like this form, it reminds me of the haiku and tanka I used to read in college, in translation of course, and the poems of Tu Fu and Li Po that Kenneth Rexroth translated. We used to have haiku poetry slams at night, and I used to love it. Isn't this FUN?! Anyway ---

Gwysiaf leuad newydd fel nosi pan
rhyddhaf â thrugaredd
yr enaid a weld ei ffordd
trwy hen boen yn farwaidd

--------------

Roedd effaith hyll o'r galon llew yr hyn
sy'n rhodd ffawd ei henw
nid llaw yr heddwch ydyw
a rhoi'r beddrod ei liw

Antwn ap Ioan

PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 18-Aug-2005, 06:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Your story sounds like a very Welshy summer, Austaff!!!! I enjoyed reading it - made me think about the Gower. (You know the Gower?)

I like your poetry, Antwn. You have achieved a high literary standard. Sounds like you'd enjoy the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol.

Does anyone want translations of these literary pieces, or are we all ok with the Welsh here??
PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 18-Aug-2005, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Diolch Siarls

I think I got the gist of them but would like a translation to see if it matches my translation.

I have very fond memories of the Gower Coast and have a painting of Caswell Bay on the wall in my office to remind me of those times.

Antwn

The poem's were great I unfortunately dont have the talent to write poetry but love reading them. Siarls do you think we will become Bards!!!

Cofion Gorau fy ffrindiau

Austaff (Keith)
PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 18-Aug-2005, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Bore Da siarls I se you are on line here hows life after Italy?
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 19-Aug-2005, 08:24 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Sorry. I must have left before I could see you had asked me about Italy. Life after Italy is a little unfulfilling. I don't start back at uni for another 5 or 6 weeks, I'm on holidays from work, so I find myself just going out with friends and spending ridiculous amounts of money!

Why don't you describe the picture of Caswell Bay to us in Welsh? A good way to develop vocab!
We all have the talent to become bards!!! We just have to remember to feel the rhythm of the Welsh language flow through us!!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]