Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Nicknames, How did you choose your nickname?
Bookmark and Share
Aaediwen 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Celeste of the Stars1 @ Nov 26 2003, 08:05 AM)
The whole "of the Stars" thing was originally supposed to be "Queen of the Stars", but I don't see myself as a Queen.
I'm thinking of changing it to "Maiden of the Stars" What do you guys think?

You're kidding right? Madin of the stars sounds nice, but although a little more redundant, Celeste sounds mode devine, and much better in my book biggrin.gif
Ye and Arianrhod are the only two truly stellar (*literally*) names I've seen here. To maintain that solid link I believe would be a good thing smile.gif My vote, don't change.

Perhaps 'Queen of the stars' is what Arianrhod should use as a title, after all. According to what I have read, that's who the Arianrhod of folklore is, the 'Queen of the stars'

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Nov 29 2003, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Celeste of the Stars1 @ Nov 26 2003, 08:05 AM)
The whole "of the Stars" thing was originally supposed to be "Queen of the Stars", but I don't see myself as a Queen.
I'm thinking of changing it to "Maiden of the Stars" What do you guys think?

You're kidding right? Madin of the stars sounds nice, but although a little more redundant, Celeste sounds mode devine, and much better in my book biggrin.gif
Ye and Arianrhod are the only two truly stellar (*literally*) names I've seen here. To maintain that solid link I believe would be a good thing smile.gif My vote, don't change.

Perhaps 'Queen of the stars' is what Arianrhod should use as a title, after all. According to what I have read, that's who the Arianrhod of folklore is, the 'Queen of the stars'

I think I 'll take every ones advice and keep the name. It is kinda gowing on me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
Dreamer1 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

I'd definitely chime in for keeping Celeste (!), instead of Maiden, of the Stars!! Celeste of the Stars seems to flow together, is original, and sounds much more ethereal. It was a good choice!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
sjboren 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

male

I am quite lazy and unimaginative at times....and at others quite the opposite.
So I used the simple sjboren for Scott Jacob Boren.

--------------------
Scott Boren
Clan MacFarlane
PMEmail Poster               
McHaggis 
Posted: 30-Nov-2003, 01:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

"McHaggis" is the name of an arrangement I wrote for the Racine, WI, "Kilties" Senior Drum & Bugle Corps. Since it was a collection of Scottish tunes, a hodgepodge if you will, it was originally just called "Haggis" but mutated into something that sounds like you could order it before 11AM at an ethnic Mickey Dee's. ("Och, w'll ha'e th' McHaggis an' a wee dram, Lassie!")....."Mc" seems to be tagged on to a lot of Kiltie words for emphasis: everything from "McScrewed" to "Wow! She's really a McFox!"

Hence "McHaggis."

The chart has in it, among other tunes: An intro section of bits and pieces of "Comin' Thru The Rye," "Loch Lomand, " "Syne," and "Scotland The Brave," then goes into "Scottish Mary" ( a fiddle tune), "Skye Boat Song," a "Skye Boat-Flower Of Scotland" mixture, a "Flower Of Scotland/Amazing Grace" mixture, a little of the old "Brigadoon" theme, a ceildeh section playing "Drowsey Maggie," "Scotland The Brave," "Auld Lang Syne" (the previous two being historically a part of every KILTIES show), and......"Stay(Just A Little Bit Longer"/"Syne" mixture..("Stay" being the only non-Scots piece in it, but it fits so well as a counter melody to "Syne" that as a part of a closer it seemed a natural.....and before it's completed there's sure to be some other stuff thrown in as well.....maybe "Minstrel Boy," and "Highland Laddie" quotes or something.....

...darn thing never seems to have enough "Haggis" in it.

I was going to send it to them for the 2004 show, but that book is set already, so I'm going to hold off and present it next winter....or if I feel it's finally finished, I'll ship it off anyway.

Maybe later, I'll ship y'all a midi file of it on this forum.

So, that's the derivation of "McHaggis."

That's why I always sign these posts with my real name:

RON

Addendum: There' s so much stuff in that chart that when I went back to look at again after I entered the above that I realize that I'd left out a couple: a quote from "Blue Bells Of Scotland" in the intro and a whole section that features "On A Bank Of Roses," a traditional Robert Bruce song.....more shite than a Christmas goose, I'm telling ya!

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Maisky is my dog's first name. Not very original, but I've been using it for the past 6 years. I can rember it, which is not trivial for ADHD me.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

What does Maisky mean? My dogs are Teddy Bear (cause he looks like one) and the other is Nikki -- both spoilt rotten! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 03:48 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 5 2003, 03:28 PM)
What does Maisky mean? My dogs are Teddy Bear (cause he looks like one) and the other is Nikki -- both spoilt rotten! rolleyes.gif

Maisky is a compromise: Mai was a Chinese friend and my youngest wanted the name to be Sky. The Chessy that bears that name is Maisky Dumpling. Often shortened to Dump. She is a large, protective sweetheart who follows my wife around all day and helps with EVERYTHING. She is a big cuddle in the morning. It is a great comfort to me that she is so protective, since I have had to travel a lot in the past. She delt with one intruder in the house so far. She bites, THEN she barks.
AhilissaMay 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Missouri, USA

female

Mine really isn't that good really.
I have always used Ahilissa as my net name, the last name though comes from my love of the Band Queen.

Ahil

--------------------
Mel Ullume--Love Forever

May Light Guide your Way both Night and Day.

Never fear the dark for with the right person you shall always see the light...

Life is a fire, a flame. With every blow of wind it is closer to being put out,
But with someone there to be the shield, it shall glow forever..

Mother of 5- Gwendolyn, Nathan, Arran, Tiffany and Brendan
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
MacErca 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Houston, Texas

male

The name of the supossedly progenitor of Clan Ferguson, his son was named Macfergus, and there after were called Ferguson's
Well anyway thats the way the legend goes rolleyes.gif
Fergus Mor MacErca , King of Scots of Dal Riata
Birth: abt 420
Death: 501

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.

I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf.
oldraven 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

80 years old in that day is damned old, Mac. Got some good genes in ye. king.gif

(420? interesting)

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
MacErca 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Houston, Texas

male

Thank you
One of my Uncles liked one month making it to 101.
Hope that holds true for me biggrin.gif
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 05-Dec-2003, 09:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Good genes, indeed.
Theophilus Whaley, another descendant of Fergus born in 1616 lived to 104.
Here's the lineage and vital statistics.
Theophilus41 Whaley (Richard40, Thomas39 Walley, Richard38 Whalley, Thomas37, Richard36, Dorothy35 Willoughby, Margaret34 Griffith, John (Sir)33, Thomas32, Rhys31, Joan30 Somerville, Philip29, Isabel28 De Merley, Roger27, Roger26, Roger25 De Merlay, Juliana24 De Dunbar, Gospatric23 II, Gospatric22, Maldred21, Bethoc20, Malcolm19 King Of Scotland II, Kenneth18, Malcolm I (Mael-Colum)17, Donald (Domnall) II16, Constantine I15, Kenneth I mac Alpin14, Alpin mac Eochiad13, Eochiad IV12, Aidan Finn11, Eochaid III10, Eochiad II9, Domangart II8, Donald Breck (Domnall Brec)7, Eochaid Buide6, Aidan Mac (Aldanus)5 Gabran, Gabran4 Mac (Gavran, Goranus) Domangart, Domangart (Dumngalhen)3, Fergus Mor2 Mac Erec, Erec1)3 was born 1616 in ENG3, and died 1720 in HOPKINS HILL, RI3. He married Elizabeth Mills3 WFT Est. 1673-17013. She was born 16453, and died 1715 in HOPKINS HILL, RI3.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 5 2003, 03:28 PM)

Oh Rose of the Desert. Unless the slave of the puppies keeps them in a state of "spoiled rotten", they are cheating both themselves and their masters (dogs). Only the true "puppy" person can truely enjoy the relationship with the pouch(es). I can tell from your posts that your doggie owners would give you good reviews. biggrin.gif
DesertRose 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 01:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Yeah! Maisky! My pups seem to like me pretty well. They like me better than hubby and he can't figure that one out because he is as good to them as me! But I am the mommy who does all the work (bathing, feeding, etc.,) so I guess that counts for something! rolleyes.gif smile.gif Have you seen pictures of them in the avatar thread? Some of us posted pooch photos there. You should post one and let us see your vicious protector! wink.gif
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt