stoirmeil 
Posted: 29-Jan-2007, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Celt @ 26-Jan-2007, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 26-Jan-2007, 02:04 PM)
Going to sit down and grade a whole mess of final exams and papers - sad.gif - am contemplating throwing them all out and giving everyone an A, then going out for a beer.

Just kidding . . . . lol.gif

How many constitute a "mess"? Would it be a smaller or larger number than say, a shi*load? Or would it be more along the lines of a plethora? Personally, I would probably be able to make a mess out of just one exam or paper, depending upon the subject matter and time-frame allowed for completion.

Approximate large-ish number -- you know how when people go fishing and they have a big haul, they say "I caught a mess of fish"? I think it has to do with the processing, whether you use the term "mess" or not. You have to scale and gut and fillet the fish (and the exams, for that matter), but nobody talks about a good crop of apples as a "mess of apples." biggrin.gif

Early to think about next weekend, but I'm going to take a few days off and get down to some needed sewing.
PMEmail Poster               
Celt 
Posted: 29-Jan-2007, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Hudson Highlands

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 29-Jan-2007, 01:21 PM)

Approximate large-ish number -- you know how when people go fishing and they have a big haul, they say "I caught a mess of fish"?  I think it has to do with the processing, whether you use the term "mess" or not.  You have to scale and gut and fillet the fish (and the exams, for that matter), but nobody talks about a good crop of apples as a "mess of apples." biggrin.gif

OK, loosely following your logic we find that a mess of fish could be likened to a mess of manure. At the opposite end of the spectrum, a good crop of apples could be called a corps of apples. Unless they were grown on a truck farm, in which case they would be referred to as a bumper crop.

I think I'm seeing the big picture, but I may need some clarification regarding the fish/exam connection (aside from the obvious brain-food angle). I've survived some absolutely gutting exams, and I'm able to follow the scaling process (via the sliding scale, of course), but the filleting has me baffled. Could it be in reference to the fillet knife blade having the same curve as the exam scoring gradient? user posted image
PMEmail Poster                
Aaediwen 
Posted: 29-Jan-2007, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Approximate large-ish number -- you know how when people go fishing and they have a big haul, they say "I caught a mess of fish"? I think it has to do with the processing, whether you use the term "mess" or not. You have to scale and gut and fillet the fish (and the exams, for that matter), but nobody talks about a good crop of apples as a "mess of apples." biggrin.gif

Early to think about next weekend, but I'm going to take a few days off and get down to some needed sewing.

Now now! I used to quite often refer to a mess of beans, a mess of tomatos, a mess of greens, or of any simillar yummy fruit or veggie. Generally, it referred to "Enough to fix and serve for one meal" Generally, one would go out and pick a mess of whatever they are after, bring it in, and immidiately wash and prepare it. If plans were any different, then the harvesting is generally done by the bushel.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 29-Jan-2007, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Approximate large-ish number -- you know how when people go fishing and they have a big haul, they say "I caught a mess of fish"?  I think it has to do with the processing, whether you use the term "mess" or not.  You have to scale and gut and fillet the fish (and the exams, for that matter), but nobody talks about a good crop of apples as a "mess of apples." biggrin.gif

Now now! I used to quite often refer to a mess of beans, a mess of tomatos, a mess of greens, or of any simillar yummy fruit or veggie. Generally, it referred to "Enough to fix and serve for one meal" Generally, one would go out and pick a mess of whatever they are after, bring it in, and immidiately wash and prepare it. If plans were any different, then the harvesting is generally done by the bushel. Apples, peaches, and pears are included!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 26-Jan-2007, 02:04 PM)
Going to sit down and grade a whole mess of final exams and papers - sad.gif - am contemplating throwing them all out and giving everyone an A, then going out for a beer.

Just kidding . . . . lol.gif

What do you teach? biggrin.gif smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Muircheartach 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

QUOTE (Lady of the Loch @ 28-Jan-2007, 07:01 AM)
Happy Anniversary !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif  smile.gif  biggrin.gif

Hi Lady Lisa!

Thank you so much! We had a very happy time - my wife chose a movie that she wanted to see - The Painted Veil - which she heard had a "happy ending". Well, not exactly - the husband dies of cholera sad.gif , but the storyline is interesting if you like English movies about the former British Empire. Not exactly what I call an anniversary movie, though! However, we had a good time afterwards and a nice dinner. wink.gif

Have a great week!

--------------------
Best cheers! Robbie
PMEmail Poster               
coastman 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Coastal Georgia

male

This Saturday will be having a gathering of the Moore Clan here in Georgia. One of my cousins' son was married in December and not all of us were able to attend the wedding in Oklahoma. So we are all gathering up to meet Jess' new bride and she can just imagine what she has married into. Jess is a Southern Baptist Missionary in Tibet. His new bride will be too. There will uncles and aunts, cousins, brothers and sisters, and many grandkids attending this event. The menu will be Southern Fried Chicken, Okra, green beans, Mac and Cheese, homemade biscuits, sweet tea and pecan pie. Wow! I am hungry already. cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Muircheartach @ 30-Jan-2007, 10:39 AM)
Hi Lady Lisa!

Thank you so much! We had a very happy time - my wife chose a movie that she wanted to see - The Painted Veil - which she heard had a "happy ending". Well, not exactly - the husband dies of cholera sad.gif , but the storyline is interesting if you like English movies about the former British Empire. Not exactly what I call an anniversary movie, though! However, we had a good time afterwards and a nice dinner. wink.gif

Have a great week!

glad you had a good time! I haven't heard of that movie before, I might have to look it up and see if it is playing around here. biggrin.gif
Muircheartach 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

male

Hello again, Lisa,

Here's the URL to the official Web site: http://wip.warnerbros.com/paintedveil/

It has beautiful cinematography and the plot does keep you going for the two hours it lasts - sad, though, really... It might be a good "rainy day" movie when you're feeling like you've seen way too much comedy tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (coastman @ 30-Jan-2007, 09:36 AM)
The menu will be Southern Fried Chicken, Okra, green beans, Mac and Cheese, homemade biscuits, sweet tea and pecan pie. Wow! I am hungry already. cool.gif

Hello, coastman!

I read your post and, like the guy I am, you hooked me with the type of food that will be served at your shindig! For the last month I've been on a diet to get my blood pressure and cholesterol down to within good limits. I was doing this for the life insurance physical that I had yesterday. Let me tell you, there were times over the last month that I could have eaten this laptop!

Anyway, the bottom line is that the BP was 116/73 and the sludge in the veins was at 181 - which I am told is good. So, now that I can eat again, your chicken, mac+cheese and pecan pie sound mighty good!! rolleyes.gif

Too bad that my clann isn't yours and that I'm on the opposite coast... Mind you, knowing the excellent cooking of your neck of the woods, if I were closer I might try a raid! wink.gif

All the best to you - and may God bless the weather and all the travellers with His safety!
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 30-Jan-2007, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Muircheartach @ 30-Jan-2007, 01:13 PM)
Hello again, Lisa,

Here's the URL to the official Web site: http://wip.warnerbros.com/paintedveil/

It has beautiful cinematography and the plot does keep you going for the two hours it lasts - sad, though, really... It might be a good "rainy day" movie when you're feeling like you've seen way too much comedy tongue.gif

Muircheartach,
thanks for the link. I just watched the trailor, looks interesting biggrin.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 31-Jan-2007, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Heading to the Celtic Classic Winterfest at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. http://www.celticfest.org/WinterFest/FestHome.html and hook up with Terry Algier from the Celtic Spirit band. We'll probably try to figure out where to have dinner when we all go to the Valley Forge Celtic Festival on President's Day weekend.

Aaed, driving to Georgia is practically about the same distance to Bethlehem, drive up to Lehigh U. and come to that fest this weekend. I keep telling you to come up and hang with us for the Celtic Classic in September. This is the winter version. Annabelle won't be at Lehigh but she will be at Valley Forge.
PMEmail Poster               
gcw57 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: British Columbia

male

sad.gif Gee, I have no plans for this weekend.

Maybe I'll catch a movie if there is anything decent playing in town.

--------------------
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Finally have all of the tiles glued to the top of my coffee table so I am going to grout it this weekend. I'll will be finished with it. WooHoo biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 01-Feb-2007, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

am extremely busy, running here and there. I just posted it all in the gathering place lol, so I am not gonna do it again. Hopefully, I will find some "me" time between running to and fro biggrin.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]