Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What's Your Occupation?, (or, what pays the bills?)
Mayte2 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Hemel Hemsptead - originally nr LLantrisant

female

QUOTE (talleyrand @ 05-Sep-2004, 03:44 AM)
numismatist = coin collector if you're ignorant like me wink.gif

Hehehe .. thanks for that .. you saved me a trek on Google!!!

Mayte

--------------------
If it breaks when it bends, ya better not put it in!!
PMEmail Poster               
Mayte2 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Hemel Hemsptead - originally nr LLantrisant

female

QUOTE (gtrplr @ 07-Sep-2004, 05:56 PM)

Oh, well. Back to cleaning the house.

Can I rent you to do mine as well??

Mayte

PS Good luck in whatever you choose to do
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I've worked in a bunch of places over the years. In high school I worked at an amusement park in the food service department. Then I had the stereotypical job at McDonald's in college. Then I worked for several years in the local hospital's dietary department, doing everything from food delivery to making out special diet menus.

I had a job waiting for me once I got out of college in Gettysburg. Essentially it was an open-air living history museum type of deal. Think Colonial Williamsburg. But..the funding fell through, and I was left high and dry. Since at the time the waiting list to just *apply* to be a battlefield guide was five years, it was time to find something else if I liked having a roof over my head.

After a wee disagreement with the hospital, I worked in a Japanese restaurant owned by Koreans who served basically Chinese food. It was if nothing else an education. And an indication that I needed to get the heck out of food service.

So I got a job working at a nursery. I love plants, always have...I had a pretty good time there. But then I found out that I was pregnant, and so at the end of the season I had a new full time job: mommyhood.

In the interim I've worked for a local railroad museum doing archival work and artifact cataloguing, was part of a tourist steam railroad, and became the director for a living history group, which I still hold. I'm also on the board for a colonial era fife and drum corps. If that weren't enough, I'm also a professional reasearcher/writer specializing in the Civl War era in general and Pennsylvania in specific. In my off hours (whenever that is) I own and operate a small jewelry business mostly geared towards reenactors and Victorian enthusiasts.

I sleep somewhere in there, I swear.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I'm a brain surgeon!

Next!!!!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

That's my moonlighting job. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Sekhmet I see you are on my surgical rotation sheet! Hummm? Did you go to night school too or take your classes over the internet?
PMEmail Poster               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Well, I've made up the titla 'Operations Manager'
I run an independent BMW repair shop.
I don't work on the cars, and I don't own the place, everything else is my job.
Accounting, IT, Customer Service, File Clerk, Operator, etc, etc.
The nice thing is I can cheaply own/drive one myself.

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Well I was working for several years as a Lawyer and Notary Assistant in Germany (Paralegal) and then became wife and mother. After that I worked as Delivery Driver for - do I want to mention it? --- Pizza Hut and after that I worked for almost a year as Jack of all trades in a Clothing store - did inventory, recieving, cashier, sales etc.

I try to deceide right now what to do next.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 21-Sep-2004, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,037 Gold!

QUOTE (susieq76 @ 03-Sep-2004, 11:53 AM)
I track people down on the 'Net. I work for Duke University, and spend my days tracking down the addresses for lost alumni, parents, house staff and friends, ostensibly so that Duke can stay in touch with them. I am responsible for keeping Duke's lost alumni rate the lowest in the country. I am also in school, and will finally get my AA degree in December (after 5 years of part-time school)!! Woo-hoo!!!! There are so many things I want to do, but I love doing research of any kind. So, I don't really know what I want to do next. If I could do what I dreamed, I would be an astronomer. I don't think that will happen. So, I guess I am sort of rudderless, right now - waiting to figure out what I am going to do next. Scary and exciting. As long as it can support my daughter and I.

Susie, I wear a lighter shade of blue. Years ago when I took Astronomy 101, our labs were in the Morehead Planetarium. Have you been there? They have wonderful programs for the public. Also, what is your degree in?

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 21-Sep-2004, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Hey Scotsman,

I was raised in Chapel Hill, so I am Tar Heel born, Tar Heel Bred.....
Duke pays the bills : )

I have been to Morehead Planetarium, but not in awhile. I love the Star of Bethlehem program at Christmas.

My degree will be a general, 2-year degree - basically for those who want to transfer to a 4-year college later on. I don't even want to think of that right now!! ohmy.gif (why, oh why did I choose Statistics and Zoology for my last semester?!)

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
gettin-away 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

Haldur Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 03:41 AM

I work as a helpdesk analyst for the United States Postal Service...that's how I got to know that funny guy Aaediwen that frequents these hallowed chambers! He actually got me interested in this site from the get-go...I haven't had internet for a while and I really missed the music. So I get to talk with Postal workers, help fix computers, and pretty much live life to its fullest!
(oh yeah, "gettin away", my wife's family is from Otisville, MI. Her father originally hails from Clio as well! It's a small world after all!

Haldur, I guess I missed this before I left town......I get through Otisville occasionally and if your wife's family was ever in the Clio Post Office in the last ohhhhh 23 years, I've probably met them. If you ever find yourself up this way stop by and say "Hi".

gettin-away

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
celticwoodsman 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

i am a lumberjack, or in better terms a plant healthcare technician, yes I had to go to college for that...LOL, but right now I am back in college striving to be a high school bio teacher. I also am a volunteer educator. I am a blacksmith by hobby, and I work in a shop where they bring school children in and explain what life was like in the 1800's. I teach kids what a blacksmith is, and I let them try their hand at it.

My wife is in school with me to be an art teacher.

--------------------
You will not go hungry until I starve, you shall not go thirsty as I have drink, you shall have my bed and be warm, you shall sit on my right as we feast in the great halls of our ancestors, and for when we die, and go to the great battle of valhalla....we shall stand together and fight ....at the end we shall look upon each other strewn with the blood of OUR enemies, and then....I shall call you FRIEND
PMEmail Poster                
Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (celticwoodsman @ 23-Sep-2004, 04:17 PM)
i am a lumberjack, or in better terms a plant healthcare technician,

That sounds interesting, actually. When I was younger, I wanted a career in forestry. I almost went to Paul Smith's College in New York. I ended up in Printing.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Gordon 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 03:48 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

Currently I'm finally getting into my passion of cooking as a chef. Taking the formal approach through schooling and also just getting my foot in the door at a local restaurant as a prep cook. I plan on, so far, specializing in the bakery/pastry field since I look at it as: The last thing a guest has is dessert, so it should be the last thing to leave their mind and the top reason they leave with a pleased smile on their faces. biggrin.gif

Future plans also include certification through the American Culinary Federation although I must have 2 years experience as well as my schooling to take the Certified Chef test before I can move to C.C.P, etc.

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
celticwoodsman 
Posted: 24-Sep-2004, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 23-Sep-2004, 04:30 PM)
That sounds interesting, actually. When I was younger, I wanted a career in forestry. I almost went to Paul Smith's College in New York. I ended up in Printing.

I received my undergrad at SUNY ESF, the forestry college in Syracuse... I was on the "woodsmans team" and we used to constantly kick Paul Smith's butt in lumberjack competitions.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]