Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Hello everyone.

I joined a while back, but I am just now getting around to introducing myself. I am an independent Baptist missionary living on the Navajo Nation with my beautiful wife and four of our seven children. We live on the Arizona side of the "Rez." The Navajo Nation os the largest Indian Reservation in America, roughly the size of West Virginia. Our family has developed a love for Celtic music and our Irish heritage.

We just became grandparents two weeks ago and are looking forward to getting experience in spoiling!

Our two oldest sons live in Oklahoma City, while our oldest daughter lives with her husband in Durango, Colorado. They are planning for a ministry in China. The oldest boy would like to go to the Middle East. The other four ( a son and three daughters) are at home and are a great joy to us.

I may not post much, but I enjoy the site immensely. Have a great day! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Yah'teh bellagana. How long have you been in Denee' Bikea? Which part of the Big Rez do you call 'home'? Quite a few years ago I worked at Mesa Verde NP, and my wife worked at Chinlee and Canyon de Chelly.

Sorry, my Navaho is a bit rusty, it's been a quite a few years since I've been down there and all of the Alaskan Athapaskan dialects are considerably different.

In any event, welcome to the Board.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Well, hello Mark! Agus fàilte gu Celtic Radio! And welcome to Celtic Radio!

In my humble opinion, you have found one of the best websites ever. The people here are some of the nicest to be found anywhere on the net, and the music is simply out of this world.

So kick off your shoes, grab a mug of your favorite hot (or cold) beverage, turn up the music and have fun! I look forward to getting to know you better through your posts.

If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to ask anyone with the word "Guide" beneath their avatar. That's why we're here!

Again, it is so nice to have you with us. We are like one big family here, and we just love welcoming new members to the fold! I hope that you will enjoy your stay with us, and that you will come back and visit with us often. I feel quite certain that you will grow to love the place as much as I have.

Welcome to the family, my brother!
And welcome home! smile.gif

Your Brother In Christ

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Warmest welcomes to our celtic community, we're glad to have you join us here. Sounds like you have a real nice family and Congratulations on becoming grandparents. I have 3 gchildren and 2 more who will arrive next year in Feb. and March. There's nothing like gchildren, you can spoil them quickly and it doesn't take any classes to do so, It comes natural. biggrin.gif They will very quickly wrap you around their little finger and your life will never be the same. The best to you and your family as you minister to all who are in need!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 07:26 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

yathay and welcome! You will find this a very diverse and friendly community. You will become addicted to the music and friendships you find here.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ 30-Oct-2005, 03:11 AM)
Yah'teh bellagana.  How long have you been in Denee' Bikea?  Which part of the Big Rez do you call 'home'?  Quite a few years ago I worked at Mesa Verde NP, and my wife worked at Chinlee and Canyon de Chelly.

Sorry, my Navaho is a bit rusty, it's been a quite a few years since I've been down there and all of the Alaskan Athapaskan dialects are considerably different. 

In any event, welcome to the Board. 

Swanny

Ya'at'eeh, Shik'is!

Hey, not bad "white guy" Navajo. That's about what I speak. We are pretty close to Chinle. It's only about thirty miles up the road. I would go to Canyon de Chelly everyday if I wouldn't get in trouble with the Lord and my wife smile.gif

We actually live in Steamboat which is west of Ganado about 13 miles. Hubble's Trading Post is about ten miles from our house.

Thanks for the kind welcome! I am told once you go to Alaska, all other scenery is just second place. Have a great day!
Rindy 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Welcome to the forum.. I look forward to your posting..I hope you enjoy the music as well as the friendly people here..

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Why hello there haynes9 - we are increasing the number of 'zonies' here at CR by leaps and bounds! Welcome to CR and even if you don't post much...you are already enjoying the music and that is what has brought us all here in the first place!

I think you'll find our mb to be very friendly with a wide variety of ages, locations and interests...so please feel free to post any time, we'll be happy to hear from you!

Take care from Tempe!!
amy smile.gif

--------------------
Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Warmest welcomes!

I'll not go into the parts of my life that might include experience with any native tribe, because they're so few and far between as not to matter much. My dad would have more to say there, and I've only heard well smile.gif I know dad loves his bear claw pieces that he's picked up while in the area.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

Welcome from another newbie! I think you'll enjoy it here when you can be on!

Just an out-of-the-blue question - do you find similarities between Native American and Celtic traditions/music etc. I've recently been studying Celtic spirituality and have found some (perhaps surface!) similarities. Just interested.

Anyway, welcome!

--------------------
user posted image Just a wee deoch an dorris user posted image
"Not all who wander are lost"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the late reply, but I too wish to welcome you to CelticRadio. I think you will find this a great retreat away from the pressures of the day, and I would suggest the Kirk and Chapel for a wonderful place to share thoughts, ideas, and inspirations, or just to fellowship with others.

So nice to have you here!

Robert

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (gallesjrrt @ 01-Nov-2005, 09:27 AM)
Just an out-of-the-blue question - do you find similarities between Native American and Celtic traditions/music etc. I've recently been studying Celtic spirituality and have found some (perhaps surface!) similarities. Just interested.

I can't really speak for other tribes and I would not claim to be an expert with regards to the Navajos, but here are some observations. This is based on 20 years of contact with he Navajo people and nine years of living on the Rez.

It seems that both cultures have a clan system. The Navajos believe there were four original clans. I believe there are over 60 now and some are considered extinct. I don't know how the clan system in Celtic culture works, so the similarity may end there. One of the cultural rules of the clan system here involves marriage. Even if you are not considered a direct blood relative, it is a taboo to marry someone who is in your same clan. Also, being in the same clan automatically makes a connection between individuals. As a white guy, it has been hilarious for me to try and figure out the concept of "cousin-brothers" and "cousin- sisters." Every time I think I've got it figured out, I get confused again!

The Navajos in the old days did not have one "chief" as did some other tribes. There were men like Ganado Mucho, Manuelito, and Narbona, who were heads of their particular bands. That is why treaties out here were so confusing, because no one man represented the entire tribe.

With regards to music and spirituality, I cannot say whether there are similarities or not. I do not know if there is a Celtic equivalent to Skinwalkers and Medicine men. Also, the Navajos left virtually no written record. Everything was handed dow by oral tradition. Today, the lines can often be blurred between Navajo Tradition and the Native American Church (NAC). Musically, the Navajos used the drum (usually something that might look somewhat like a bodhran). Most music was related to their belief system, though I am sure there were social songs and love songs.

I took a lot of space to say alot of stuff that may not be helpful, but I hope you found it informative Take care and have a great day.
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

Actually, that's pretty much what I thought! The Celtic equivalent of the Medicine Man would be the Shaman, or one of the three branches of Druids (which I've, of course, forgotten!). While the Celts had/have music for social occasions, I believe that much of it was for spiritual matters, as well.

Just confirms a suspicion I've had for quite a while now - we're all more similar than we are different wink.gif

Glad to have you with us! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

For some other interesting showing similarities and tie-ins, check ouw http://www.newworldcelts.org and click on Celtic Indians.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (subhuman @ 02-Nov-2005, 03:06 PM)
For some other interesting showing similarities and tie-ins, check ouw http://www.newworldcelts.org and click on Celtic Indians.

Fascinating read. Thanks for the link!
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]