Posted on 28-Jan-2004, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I am of the opinion that the title should be bestowed only on the military caste as it was originally intended in order to show the solder as an example. By giving it to people outside of the primary intent of the award (recognition for experience valor and fealty to a leader) you cheapen the decoration, I feel that a separate order should have been created for those fulfilling social functions on society. This is similar to the US civil war when familys with money were able to purchase officer ranks primarily Col. or Cpt. this then actually created a corps of (civilian) soldiers that were able to affect policy creating a bueaurocracy and inefficiency.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 01:24 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ Jan 28 2004, 09:35 AM)
I am of the opinion that the title should be bestowed only on the military caste as it was originally intended in order to show the solder as an example.

While originally true of knighthood in the middle ages, honorary knighthoods in the modern (post-1500) era have been handed out like 'ludes at a Grateful Dead concert. wink.gif The Order of the British Empire was created in 1917 to reward civilians. See this website for further information on the order.

I guess it should really only be awarded to ham radio operators as we are about the only real "solders" left! laugh.gif

And for the record, no, I don't think that Gates deserves a knighthood, any more than any of the earlier robber-barons did. Of course, some of them got awards as well.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Bill Gates deserves nothing that he doesn't pay hard cold cash for.
He's had a monopoly going for years and it hasn't stopped.

As for The Knighthood, why should an American accept a "Honorary Degree" from an country that he's not from? Is his family English, Scottish or Irish? If so and the Queen wants to give it to him then it's her call. If she gives it to him I can assure you he'll call himself "Sir" whether he has permission or no.
It would suit his ego.
Now as far as the America's evidence goes to ask Tony Blair to commit the British forces to help in Iraq that comment is not necessary to post in here and should be kept in the political Forum where it is welcome.

But I do believe This war is not just America's war so don't pin it on America.
We are not the rest of the world's escape goat. I'm proud of the close ties America and The British World have stood proudly together to battle many wars side by side. So if you'd like a discussion about the Iraq war keep it to the Political Forum please.

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Oh, c'mon Annabelle - the words 'pot, kettle and black' come to mind when you post such sanctimonious comments.

You mean YOU have never steered a thread off topic......?
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 29 2004, 06:36 AM)
Bill Gates deserves nothing that he doesn't pay hard cold cash for.
He's had a monopoly going for years and it hasn't stopped.

As for The Knighthood, why should an American accept a "Honorary Degree" from an country that he's not from? Is his family English, Scottish or Irish? If so and the Queen wants to give it to him then it's her call. If she gives it to him I can assure you he'll call himself "Sir" whether he has permission or no.
It would suit his ego.
Now as far as the America's evidence goes to ask Tony Blair to commit the British forces to help in Iraq that comment is not necessary to post in here and should be kept in the political Forum where it is welcome.

But I do believe This war is not just America's war so don't pin it on America.
We are not the rest of the world's escape goat. I'm proud of the close ties America and The British World have stood proudly together to battle many wars side by side. So if you'd like a discussion about the Iraq war keep it to the Political Forum please.

Annabelle

Annabelle, you just stated your entire opinion on something completely off topic and then told everyone else not to. unsure.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,021 Gold!

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 29 2004, 09:36 AM)

In life you will often be called upon to back-up your statements with facts. At times, it is necessary to provide examples to validate your opinion. I do not consider Cat?s comments off-topic. I may not agree with them, but they are certainly not off topic because the are used in support of her on-topic comments. In fact, I think this board is very liberal in dealing with off-topic subjects. Sometimes I get off-topic myself, but I like to think that it is more important to have discussion than to worry about staying strictly on topic. Let?s try not to point out off-topic items when you do not agree with someone, instead, base it on substance. If you think something is off-topic and does not belong in that topic, contact one of the mods or myself. Thanks!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
scottish2 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well said Paul!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Jan 27 2004, 11:21 AM)
Bill Gates should be strung up by his toes. Being the richest man in the world he's also one of teh greediest. You don't get the spot of richest in the world without being greedy. disgust.gif

I see nothing wrong with being greedy. I am greedy myself! laugh.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

There's greedy though and then there's GREEEEEDY and Bill is in the second class. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted on 29-Jan-2004, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Jan 28 2004, 09:00 AM)
I still say we should petition the UK Government to reverse this dicision. I mean their honoring greed. huh.gif

They're not only honoring greed, but also vicious contempt towards everyone else, cold-hearted calculating deliberate and continuous dishonesty, arrogance, pride, conceit, hypocrisy, ----need I go on??

They should be deeply ashamed for even considering such an Honor to someone like him. Anyone with this Title should feel deeply mortified to see it dragged down to this extreme. I certainly would.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Dreamer1 
  Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (Catriona @ Jan 27 2004, 06:09 PM)
Bill Gates will be granted an HONORARY Knighthood. This means as a foreigner, he cannot call himself 'Sir' William......

The Govt recommends names to HM The Queen to grant awards, including Knighthoods, for various reasons: service to charity etc. (In effect, this 'recommendation' is always put into effect)... The Labour Party has made some strange bedfellows, look at Sean Connery... - as well as, for instance, the way your President has managed to persuade my country (via Tony BLIAR) to go to war on very flimsy evidence.... Why shouldn't they recommend Bill Gates? After all, in my opinion, it's about par for the course for a corrupt political party cool.gif

Catriona,

I'm sorry that you don't agree with your government's decision to go to war. I know that there are people on both sides of the "Pond" who agree with you. You're entitled to that opinion, but I don't feel that this is the right forum for this comment, either. Also, I can't imagine that anyone in your government would take too kindly to the notion that the U.S. Government had managed to pull the wool over their eyes and trick them into something (anything).

I'm sorry. Please, let's go back to bashing the whole idea of Bill getting awarded Knighthood, and not look for opportunities to bash each other. That's not why we're here.

Dreamer1
scottish2 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Dreamer 1

If you read above Paul has already approved of Cat's political comments in this thread stating

QUOTE (Macfive Posted on Jan 29 2004 @ 12:44 PM)
In life you will often be called upon to back-up your statements with facts. At times, it is necessary to provide examples to validate your opinion. I do not consider Cat?s comments off-topic. I may not agree with them, but they are certainly not off topic because the are used in support of her on-topic comments. In fact, I think this board is very liberal in dealing with off-topic subjects. Sometimes I get off-topic myself, but I like to think that it is more important to have discussion than to worry about staying strictly on topic. Let?s try not to point out off-topic items when you do not agree with someone, instead, base it on substance. If you think something is off-topic and does not belong in that topic, contact one of the mods or myself. Thanks!
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Oh, I see. Okay, I agree to disagree on the political front. angel_not.gif
Let's keep the tomcat.gif aimed at Bill - he deserves it!!

Dreamer1
Aaediwen 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

AMEN!

tank.gif tank.gif

Let's head for Seattle! I want dibs on the computers (which would soon get reinstalled, of course)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]