Posted: 02-Jul-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

female

Is Dancing Becoming a Beauty Pageant?
By Jon Myles

Trendy young Irish dancers may be all the rage on stages across the world ? but they?re are out of step with Ireland?s Minister for Education.

Parents are used to paying out thousands of pounds for the essential wigs and expensive dresses to make their dancing children look good.

But they?ve fallen foul of Minister Mary Hanafin over the latest fad ? make-up and tanning creams.

And what?s more she wants to orchestrate a backlash against the trend for dolling-up young dancers.

The former teacher said she was hopeful parents everywhere would voice their objections to the spend, spend, spend culture which has grown up around Irish dancing competitions.

?The sooner parents object to it the better,? she said.

Her comments came after watching an Irish dancing presentation performed by girls at a new ?2million all-Irish school in Carrickmacross in Co. Monaghan.

She said she pleased all the girls were wearing colourful traditional costumes and hadn?t the slightest tinge of make-up on their faces.

And Ireland?s National Parents Council backed the Minister?s comments ? warning that covering children in blusher and mascara risked reducing Irish dancing to a beauty pageant.

Spokeswoman Eleanor Petrie said: ?It would be dreadful if we saw traditional Irish dancing taking on the role of an American beauty pageant which has more to do with mum and dad?s ambitions than the child?s enjoyment.

?I think any kind of stereotype is dangerous. Dance competitions are supposed to be concerned with how you move and hold yourself not how you look.

?The colour of your skin should not influence a judge one way or the other.?

But not everyone is in agreement ? especially in Britain.

One young Irish dancer from Manchester taking part in a competition this weekend said dressing up was an essential part of the enjoyment of Irish dancing.

?Most girls like to dress up and wear make-up to look their best,? she said. ?it?s part of the enjoyment and atmosphere of the event.

?I can?t see anything wrong with wearing make-up when dancing and all my friends agree.?

What?s your view? Should Irish dance contestants forego the make-up and elaborate costumes? Write to the Irish Post, Cambridge Grove, Cambridge House, Hammersmith, London W6 0LE.

Lily O

--------------------
"You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are, and you will not find that person anywhere.
~Buddist expression~
user posted image

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Oh Boy! You've hit on a major peeve with me! laugh.gif

I hate the direction that Irish Dance it going for the girls. I think it's over kill to have a $2,000 dress that sparkles so much it blinds you. The NAFC rules state that you should wear "traditional celtic dress". There's nothing traditional about the majority of those solo dresses. I'd say at least half of them don't even have any kind of celtic knotwork or anything else celtic on them. One thing I'm glad they cracked down on here in the US is that girls under 10 years old are no longer allowed to wear make-up, wigs, or tanner. I'd love to see them go back to the more traditional celtic dresses as well. But I doubt if it'll ever happen. unsure.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
catlynelizabeth 
Posted: 28-Aug-2005, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Boston

female

It's funny that you should mention that this issue is a pet peeve of yours. I don't dance with a competitve school and so we don't have the thousand dollar dresses and wigs and tanner. We have very simple very classic dresses and we have actually gotten compliments and people have said that they like us because we don't have wigs and the like. We love dancing in our simple classic dresses because they flatter everyone and aren't blinding or stiff.

--------------------
To watch us irish dance is to hear our hearts speak!
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt
PMEmail Poster               
Eiric 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

I totally agree with ye on this point! For goods sake; is it dancing or a beauty contest? And when I see lasses that young wearing all that crap on their faces, but with a dress I wouldn't even consider Celtic, I always feel sad, so sad. For goods sake they're kids, not some sort of sex symbols!!!
Being a boy is a little easier (I promise you no lads would even consider wearing make-up when dancing Irish wink.gif )
Anyway, I think that a lass should be natural, and if, I say IF, she wants to wear make-up she should be at least old enough.
In Sweden they sell bras for babies, how sick is that?!!! Is it dancing or sex, are they kids or symbols?

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an còirichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu chòir dhaibh a bhith beò nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 07-Sep-2005, 04:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Well, that's one thing I love about being an adult dancer. We have nice simple black velvet dresses with capes. Nothing crazy or outlandish! I've seen some adults dancing with solo dresses, and they really look rediculous. The girls are one thing, but adults? Unless you're competing with the other teenagers, then give up the solo dress and go for a simpler style. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Eiric 
Posted: 07-Sep-2005, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

I totally agreee with you!
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 01-Apr-2006, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Simplicity is definitely the way to go. That is one of the reasons I decided to wait on possible dancing lessons, I couldn't stand the way the school had the dancers dress..

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]