Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

No, there is no trouble with your computer. Highlander Radio has been brought down temporarily for an indefinate amount of time.

We have recently been made aware of certain license fees that need to be paid by webcasters in order to stream music as a digital radio broadcast. I am not going to get into all of the details, but clearly, we need to research and learn more about this aspect of web broadcasting before we continue to stream 1 more byte of data.

Tonight we had a discussion with a very knowledgable person from the industry who does not want to see Highlander Radio end up being shutdown. Our conversation was a real eye-opener for us and after some reflecting on our goals for Highlander Radio, we decided that we need to insure that Highlander Radio is going to be around for the next year, 5 years, 10 years down the road.

We will provide more details on the license issue in the days and weeks to come. Until then, our live365 stream appears to have the proper licensing through live365 (although we are going to confirm this). We will change the rotation of this stream to be a reflection of the songs we played on our live broadcast. Here is the link:

http://www.live365.com/stations/celtichearts

We are also going to be in need of donations to continue our live broadcast to pay for these license fees. I don't know the exact price tag yet as we are going to be reviewing all of the music we have received from artists and comparing those songs to the current laws. We will appreciate anything you can do to help!

http://www.celticradio.net/php/service_mod...?type=donations

Thanks again for your continued support. By faith and work we will return better, stronger and prepared to take on new challenges and adventures in the exciting world of digital radio broadcasting.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I could be mistaken here, but I thought I'd read somewhere that the shake down of internet only radio stations for licensing fees was found to be .... ummmm wrong or not applicable or something that translated to ``they will threaten and bluff and throw lawyers at you but they don't have a true legal leg to stand on.'' Sorry I can't back it up with a related reading but I sure hope I remembered it right. Perhaps a lawyer could provide more insight than I have. Best of luck with the fight and the fund raising (my donation's in).

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
pneumandro 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Greenville, TX

male

Unfortunately that is not the case.

My local Christian rock radio station, 98.7 Power FM in Dallas, TX used to have a webstream going. I used to listen to it, until they yanked it one fine morning after the "shake down" rulings came across.

They also are supported by listener donations, and they realized that they would be unable to continue providing this service, as the back-costs already are going to be in the millions.

You see, the way the ruling works, is that there was a rule made back in '98 (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), saying all web broadcasters had to pay similar fees as typical radio broadcasters (actually I THINK, don't quote me, the web broadcaster fees are even worse!). They also have to keep logs of all the songs they play. Tracking it all (25 pieces of info per song played). This costs beaucoup bucks.

Then a moratorium was placed on that ruling, to allow web broadcasting to flourish (similar to Web taxation ban in the US).

Then in May 2002 that moratorium was overruled/lifted, and the ruling authority said that it was as if that original ruling never went away! AKA now all the web broadcasting that was allowed to flourish, had to back pay for all the songs they played all the way back to '98! Talk about setting people up for a fall!

So stations began yanking their webstreams, en masse. None but the "big guys" could afford it, and most of them typically didn't even want to!

Side note: Internet taxation ban in the USA just expired Jan 31, without renewal. And now the web commerce that was allowed to flourish will go down the same path.

But no, there has been no ruling (except by common sense of the mass population) overturning this ruling. I almost said "ridiculous" ruling, but it DOES make sense. If radio broadcasters have to pay, why shouldn't web broadcasters?
Mind you, it just turns web broadcasting into the same multi-billion monopoly structure as radio/tv broadcasting is.

Just because it makes sense though, doesn't mean I support it wink.gif

Anyway if you want a link:

http://anti-dmca.org/
http://www.educause.edu/issues/issue.asp?Issue=DMCA
http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/DMCA/

And the DMCA itself:

http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/DMCA/hr2281_dmca..._pl105-304.html

Just another implementation of a stupid WTO treaty....

--Pneumandro (gettin' politicky wid' it!)

--------------------
My biological mom is English, Irish, Scottish.  My biological father is English/German.  Guess that makes me 1/5 German, 1/5 Irish, 2/5 English and a fifth of Scotch!
PMEmail Poster               
silverdragon 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

Very sad news. sad.gif

Paul, I have in the past and will continue to support Highlander Radio with donations, and I will switch my at-work listening to the Live 365 stream. Since at home I do not yet have broadband, I hope you can provide a modem-quality stream via Live 365. If not, I'll... survive somehow (snivel).

I'm glad to know you're continuing to look at this. Illigitimi non carborundum! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
Aaediwen 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

/me looks for something that makesthe DMCA a good idea and fails to find anything.

Think I'll start a thread in the politics forum and vent before I explode like I was ready to this morning in a PM to Paul (Sorry about the foul language, my friend)

Hmmm, I don't have the PW, ohh well. Why should anything good happen right now? The best Celtic radio station on the planet just went offline :'(

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
mingkee 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

what the heck why all the junk stations on FM/AM can live forever
this is pretty annoying
even I want to listen to WFUV (which plays celtic weekends), some reason I don't know that make it impossible to listen in Brooklyn (the station located in just Bronx)
thank T-Mobile, that I use GPRS in order to listen to radios from my hometown, and WFUV
the policy is gonna to kill ALL THE LISTENER'S FREEDOM, THIS IS TERRIBLE!
then what's different from living in Communist countries? (no freedom to listen)

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
dbarnhart 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Glendale, AZ

male

I am heartbroken. You guys play the finest collection of Celtic music ever to grace my humble ears. Whenyou get it all sorted out and need contributions to keep Highlander Radio going, just say the word. I will be there for you.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

Ok, here is a quick update. This by no means is etched in stone:

We are looking for a quick return to streaming via utilizing the services of LIVE365. Now I know this is not the best streaming service, but it looks like the most viable way for us to return quickly. I am not sure how quickly we will be able to return, because we are going to need to review the hundreds of CD's we have received from artists to insure that they are covered under LIVE365 licensing agreements. Music from countries outside of the U.S. will need to be verified. It is possible we may need to contact the artist, recording studios and record labels of these CD's for authorization.

The bigger job is returning to our previous manner of broadcasting through shoutcast and windows streams. This will definitely require the purchase of yearly licenses from certain music organizations. It will cost a minimum of $500 a year to cover most of the music. But that is not the only cost. There is something called royalty payments that we need to pay for every song we play times the number of listeners. I have already done the math and there is no possible way we could pay for those type of additional fees. We will need to review and determine if the artist, record label or studio will give us permission to play the music on our stream. In some cases, the artist can give us that release; in other cases it might come from the studio and or the label.

We are fortunate in one aspect, there is a wealth of Celtic music by independent artists across American and Canada. We already have alot of independent music, so it is just a matter of verifying and obtaining written or electronic permission to broadcast these songs. Going forward we will need the artist to printout a form and obtain the proper authorization. Of course, we are going to get some legal advice on this at some point down the road to insure we are ok.

Obviously, there is alot of work to be done on our end and I am sorry that this has effected our stream. The Highlander way has always involved honor and integrity and we are sure that if we take the necessary steps to protect our little niche on the internet, we will be here for years and years to come. It is just very unfortunate for the musicians and listeners. We have been responible for countless unrecorded CD sales, new gigs and networking between agents/musician in the music community. We have never asked for anything in return for this valuable service, yet that is not considered in any of the rules or regulations.

We thank you for your continued donations and hope that we can find the best balance to make those donations go the longest way for us all.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.

The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.

Ayn Rand
Russian-born American Author

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
CelticRadio 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

QUOTE (stevenpd @ Feb 11 2004, 09:38 PM)
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all.  Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.

The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.   

Ayn Rand

Those are words not only for this plight, but for life's trials and tribulations. I am printing this one out! Thanks for sharing that one Steven!
single speed 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

HMMM. That paid membership idea sounds mighty good tight now. I would fork over some cash for it. I love the station, the music, and the family. Keep uis posted, and thanks, Paul for the forum for us "celtamaniacs".

Terence

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

QUOTE (Macfive @ Feb 11 2004, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (stevenpd @ Feb 11 2004, 09:38 PM)
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all.  Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle.

Ayn Rand

Those are words not only for this plight, but for life's trials and tribulations. I am printing this one out! Thanks for sharing that one Steven!

Back in Scotland, Scotsman William Wallace - Hammer of the English - raised his head holding true to his family motto: "Pro libertate" - "FOR FREEDOM".

Sir William Wallace of Elerslie
Pro Libertate - For Freedom. Part II
© 1994/98 Highlander Web Magazine
mingkee 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I like it here
the sound is more balanced than others (and celticgrove keeps killing my winamp and sound device in computer)
and this one is the ONLY has user forum
I have been looking for the ppl has same taste
sigh...it looks almost impossible for me till I found it here
I don't want the station get shutdown

actually, Highlanderradio is more like community netcast service, not commericial radio, then ASCAP and BMI should leave you alone, or just pay less license
if the record industry has gone that far, and if they go more further, it will crumble the WHOLE industry, and ALL WILL LOSE
spare a way for such community radio service to give us more choice
I DON'T WANT B&W TV
I DON'T WANT B&W TV
I DON'T WANT B&W TV!!!

wish everybody understand what I'm yelling about
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
silverdragon 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

I DO understand, mingkee. I remember B&W TV... :-)
PMEmail Poster                
silverdragon 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

I too would consider a paid membership. I'm considering subscribing to Live365 if, and only if, it will help y'all out. Let us know what's best, there, please!

I've made a small donation and will be changing my avatar and signature for the duration. ranting.gif
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]