Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Stone of destiny
scottish2 
Posted: 13-Jan-2002, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

For any needing more info as do I on this here is 2 different sites the first is to my usual google results page which has over 4,000 hits on this subject and one of these pages which I found in the search which deals alittle with what Maggie was talking about in the 1996 issue.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Stone+of+destiny%22

http://www.aboutscotland.com/stone/destiny.html
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 13-Jan-2002, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Same here haven't heard of this till Maggies post.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 14-Jan-2002, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,656 Gold!

Thanks for posting this message Maggie. I found the articles about the Stone of Destiny very interesting. To think that this stone goes back perhaps 2600 years to biblical times is truly awe inspiring. And I must point out that the history of this stone not only covers Scotland?s history, but Ireland and the ?Celts? that brought the stone to Ireland. It is hard to conceive why the British Monarchy would want to hold on to this artifact for so many years. Atleast Prime Minister John Major had the courage and maturity to advocate the return of the Stone of Destiny. Still it just does not seem right that the Queen ?permanently? leant the stone to Scotland and can recall it at any time. This leads to another hot subject ? Scotland?s Independence movement. Speaking as an American, it is hard for me to say whether Scotland should remain in the U.K. or gain independence. Perhaps there are many social and economic factors that just are not clear to this American. But I can not help but say that if I were a Scottish citizen it would bug the heck out of me if during the return of the stone to the castle in Edinburgh that the Union Jack was flying instead of the Bonnie Blue Flag! We have seen the walls come down in Eastern Europe to reveal the individual countries that once made up the soviet block, why does Britain want to continue to hold on to a 700 year old robbery of a crown and country! It would seem to be that Scotland would have more to gain from independence for it?s people and it?s future economy. But, then again, I am seeing this from the other side of the Atlantic and do not have full knowledge of all of the politics of the land. Would love to hear from some people that are knowledge about this subject!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 16-Jan-2002, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,656 Gold!

Excellent poetic commentary Nighthawk! It has been said that a poem can say more than a 5 paragraph written essay! I especially appreciate the Gaelic - English translation!

(d)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 13-Jan-2002, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I would like to open up a discussion on the Stone of Destiny.  Where do you think it came from?    Who do you think brought it to Scotland?  Do you think it was the stone that Jacob laid his head on (the Old Testament).   It was finally returned to Edinburg Castle on St. Andrews Day November 30th, 1996.  The Stone of Destiny is one of Scotlands most historic treasures.  I guess it wasn't enough for the English to steal the land from the Scots but every stone also.   :{   All comments appreciated.   maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 13-Jan-2002, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,656 Gold!

As always Dave, thanks for these great links. I can't wait to read about this topic I have not heard about yet! :)
NightHawk 
Posted: 14-Jan-2002, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Frankfurt/M - Germany

concerning the 'Stone Of Destiny' aka 'Stono Of Scone' just try this link

http://www.durham.net/~neilmac/stone.htm

Have fun reading

Slŕinte

NightHawk
PMEmail Poster               
NightHawk 
Posted: 15-Jan-2002, 05:01 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Frankfurt/M - Germany

Hi all,

concerning the Stone Of Destiny
I found this poem on following url:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens....tml#top

Cinnidh Sgoit saor am fine
Mur brueg am faisinte;
Far am faighear an Lia-Fail
Dlighe flaitheas do ghabhail.

Scots shall flourish strong and free
Unless proved false the prophecy,
That where the Stone shall yet be found
A Scot by princely right is crowned.  

Slŕinte

NightHawk
PMEmail Poster               
ShortBit 
  Posted: 16-Jan-2002, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Rienzi, Mississippi USA

I turned on BBCAmerica to watch "Hamish MacBeth" and it was about the Stone of Destiny!!!!!  Of course it was fictionalize...based on fact but it sure brought to life to me how sacred the Stone is to the Scottish. More and more I learn what passionate and proud people the Scottish are!!!!  Oh I love being Scottish :)

--------------------
ShortBit from Mississippi

PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 22-Jan-2002, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Thanks to everyone that commented on the Stone of Destiny. Scotland has such interesting history. The people who fought to keep their freedom and lands. Wouldn't it be something to do something and be remembered with great admiration  centuries from now. (time permitting of course)

I cannot understand why the Bonnie Blue wasn't flying during the ceremony at Edinburgh Castle when the Queen "permanently" loaned the Stone back.  

Back in the 1950's some college students tried to steal it back and return it to Scotland.  They were caught but I don't think they were punished.  

Again thanks to all!!!    maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Aragorn 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

The Stone of Scone, the Coronation stone is a very interesting and what an awesome history. With the diefferent stories I have read on each website I am wondering is the Stone of Destiny the real one or is it a replica? I would think the Scots would have hid the real stone from possible capture, being such a valued and honored stone. What did the actual stone look like? Are there any documentations to describe it's characteristics? Being on indefinate loan from the Queen of England was not a good deal. It seem almost like a slap in the face more then anything. It is almost like she said here you can have it back but it is still England's property. I am not impressed with the way England handled the whole deal. Just like Paul, I am a Scottish American so not knowing the whole story what can I say about English polotics.

Aragorn.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 28-Feb-2005, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Yeah, and it's only on loan until they need it again! Scottland has to send it back to the Abbey when it's time for a new coronation. Then I guess it'll be up to Charles, or William, or whoever gets crowned king to send it back again. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aragorn 
Posted: 01-Mar-2005, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Yes, I decided to bring this post back to life...It really is messed up though. Let Scotland, who had it first, borrow it back until it is needed by England again. Pretty sad and does not rate at all for their popularity.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]