Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Draft
Bookmark and Share

Do you think Bush will institute the draft?
Yes, in less than six months [ 1 ]  [8.33%]
Yes, in six months to a year [ 3 ]  [25.00%]
Yes, in a year or two [ 1 ]  [8.33%]
No [ 7 ]  [58.33%]
Total Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
MDF3530 
  Posted on 15-Jun-2005, 12:29 AM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

OK, here's the dreaded question: Do you think our esteemed President (the liberal said sarcastically) will call for the draft for military service?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, young men here in the US are required by law to register for selective service (aka the draft) when they turn eighteen. Recruiting for the military is down 40%. The thought of getting killed in a war most young people see as pointless tends to do that to recruiting numbers. Military recruiters (particularly Army and Marines) are practically tearing their hair out.

The question Shrub is now facing is How am I going deal with this? I bet right now the draft option is looking real nice to him right now, which means that Canada is looking real nice to a lot of the young men.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
erickbloodax 
Posted on 19-Jun-2005, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

No, there will not be a draft. As a former Marine recruiter I can tell you the last thing we want is a bunch of spoiled, pot smoking little punks who have been raised by their liberal mommies and daddies to think of themselves first and foremost in the armed services. The manpower needed to keep the little tuds from bolting home to moma after the first week of boot camp would be too great. And what job are we going to give to these slackers? What postition of trust?

The real proplem is that those individuals who we would want, are not sure if their sacrifice would be in vain. It looks like we don't have the guts to see this thing through. We don't see in the news that power was restored to homes in Bagdad, or water and sewer. We don't hear that girls are alowed to go to school, and are no longer are afraid of Sadam's rape rooms. The MSM is giving hope to the thugs; just one more senseless bombing and maybe we will call it quits, cut and run. After all, didn't and American Senator liken Americians to Natzis and Pol Pot? furious.gif

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
Fiddler 
Posted on 19-Jun-2005, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAsh

male

I understand where you are coming from Erick, but the best thing we could do for these whimpering, snot nosed kids is reinstitute the draft. separating them from their mommies at the earliest age possible and giving them a taste of the real world would do wonders for them and the future of this country. Brig time for the true nonconformists is ok by me!

--------------------
Support the brotherhood Everyone goes home
PMEmail Poster               
BDougher 
Posted on 19-Jun-2005, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: USA

male

If it was alright for my father to be drafted, then it is alright with me. I am also saying that as I am just outside of the draft age. I think sometimes we get to used to a good thing and don't understand why we must defend out liberties and freedoms, no matter what or where they are. The draft would never be approved by Congress, so the President can request all he wants. He is having a hard enough time just trying to get Judges on the Bench.

--------------------
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted on 19-Jun-2005, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Interestingly enough, recruiters in the Fayetteville, NC area (Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base) are meeting their quotas and more. This is an area that sees first hand every day the homefront consequences of the war on terror, not to mention the casulties. Folks around here also hear about the progress that is being made.

A local paper (whose editorial stand is against the war) ran a survey among families of wounded soldiers (including families of some KIA). Although not unanimous (what is in this country), the families were overwhelmingly in favor of a continued US presence in Iraq. When the majority of folks who see the conflict first hand think we're doing a good thing and accomplishing something worthwhile, who am I to argue.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt