Avonlea22 
  Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Well, starting on Tuesday I will be learning to play the bagpipes!

I've been wanting to do this for some time, and I just recently found a group affiliated with North Carolina State University. I asked a few weeks ago if they would have any classes, and earlier this week I was sent an email stating that they would be starting on Tuesday. The fee is only $100 and the cost of a practice chanter. You'll never have to pay again as long as you continue to participate.

I'm so excited!!!!!

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Fantastic! Let us know how it goes!

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Aaediwen 
Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I assume you can later use a full set too smile.gif Sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Arien 
Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 09:56 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacVine

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

I'm jealous. That's something I have always wanted to do.

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 05-Jan-2006, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I am so happy for you Avonlea22... Good luck in your new adventure..

Dreams can come true.... thumbs_up.gif

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
bob4328 
Posted: 07-Jan-2006, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

male

I have wanted to try it too, but have been afraid of the cost of the instrument. How much did a "chanter" cost if you don't mind telling? Does playing one translate into being able to pipe?
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 08-Jan-2006, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Good luck on your adventure Avonlea. My 15 year old started taking lessons this past summer. She goes on the pipes this spring sometime.

bob my daughters chanter cost 60 dollars. When she goes on the pipes her teacher will be looking for a used set. Her instructor is with the Atlanta Pipe and Drum Band. So I'm sure she'll find us something. As far as the chanter goes that is something you will always use. Now how that translates into playing the pipes I'm sure there will be a lot of practicing.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Emmet 
Posted: 08-Jan-2006, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

Congratulations Avonlea22; sounds like an ideal opportunity! Best of luck! If you have any questions or would like any suggestions, please feel free to email me off list.

I have wanted to try it too, but have been afraid of the cost of the instrument. How much did a "chanter" cost if you don't mind telling? Does playing ne translate into being able to pipe? Where can you obtain one?

My McCallum AB2's in their current configuration would cost a minimum of $1400 to replace ($975.00, plus a blackwood Naill chanter, selling new for $350.00 (I prefer an older, lower pitched one), and Selbie Mk II drone reeds, $75.00). Of course, the chanter and reeds that come with a new set are perfectly fine, especially for a beginner.

Practice chanters cost about $50.00-$150.00 and up; most students get the polypenco $50.00-$75.00 models. Naill makes a very nice one; I would assume Kron and McCallum do too based upon having played their pipe chanters.

Pipers of all skill levels learn and practice technique and new tunes on a practice chanter, but that in and of itself generally isn't sufficient; you really need a tutor. The bagpipe has a reputation of being one of the most difficult instruments to learn, and is well-nigh impossible alone without the help of a competent piper. Many bands offer lessons, or know who does...do a web search for your area.

Check with your tutor (when you find one); they probably have a preference. The Pipers Hut has really good prices on pipes, chanters, etc.; the College of Piping in Glasgow offers a practice chanter, book 1 of the College of Piping tutor books, and an accompanying CD-ROM for $52.75 plus shipping.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 08-Jan-2006, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Thanks everyone! The first class is getting close, and I'm getting real excited.

I haven't purchased my chanter yet. I will probably buy it at the class, and I'm looking at the Dunbar Millennium chanter. It'll be $85.00

I won't even start looking for a set of pipes fro at LEAST 6 to 8 months.
bob4328 
Posted: 09-Jan-2006, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

male

I too thank you for the replies. this is certainly the finest web site I have ever found. So much information and camaraderie. Very unlike some other places on the net. Not to mention the music, which was how I found the site to begin with.
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 11-Jan-2006, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Well, I had my first class last night.

I ended up buying a Dunbar extra long PC, and with tax, it was $90.00

I'm having some issues with my fingers. My pinky on my right hand has a hard time reaching the hole in the chanter, so my hand is getting sore when I practice. I think I just need to practice and it will work out.

I also have issues with controlling each individual finger. This may be my biggest obstacle. For example, when I lift my ring finger, my middle finger want to lift along with it. It's a bit frustrating, but again, I think practice will make it work.

Well, gonna go practice right now.
MiLadyCeilidh 
Posted: 11-Jan-2006, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: The Buckeye State

female

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 11-Jan-2006, 07:06 PM)
Well, I had my first class last night.

I ended up buying a Dunbar extra long PC, and with tax, it was $90.00

I'm having some issues with my fingers.  My pinky on my right hand has a hard time reaching the hole in the chanter, so my hand is getting sore when I practice.  I think I just need to practice and it will work out.

I also have issues with controlling each individual finger.  This may be my biggest obstacle.  For example, when I lift my ring finger, my middle finger want to lift along with it.  It's a bit frustrating, but again, I think practice will make it work.

Well, gonna go practice right now.

clap.gif Good for you! We will always be on that darn practice chanter for life. note.gif

--------------------
Cuimhnich na daoine òn d'thàinig thu!
Gun cuireadh do Chupa thairis le Slainte agus sonas!
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 12-Jan-2006, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

I'm having some issues with my fingers.  My pinky on my right hand has a hard time reaching the hole in the chanter, so my hand is getting sore when I practice.  I think I just need to practice and it will work out.

Getting the low G is a bit of a stretch for folks with small hands (just be glad it's a chanter in Bb and not low A). Work on s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g your hand wide open, holding it for a moment, then relaxing; it'll limber up.

I also have issues with controlling each individual finger.  This may be my biggest obstacle.  For example, when I lift my ring finger, my middle finger want to lift along with it.  It's a bit frustrating, but again, I think practice will make it work.

Something else you can do (like at work when you're not on the practice chanter) is place your hands flat on a table, and practice lifting your fingers one at a time, only as fast as you can do so perfectly. Precision, not speed (you're about to hear that a lot!); speed will come in time. Pretty soon you'll get it.

Here's a web site you might like; Hand Care for Musicians

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 12-Jan-2006, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Thanks for the info and the link, Emmet.

I realize that not all is lost, and practice, practice, practice will help out in the end.
kiltedlover69 
Posted: 14-Jan-2006, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Saline Michigan

male

I have trouble with my Taorluath and my grip toC. But I still have a long way to go.. pipes have to be played everyday and some. Since my first love is Heavy events..I will do that till my body can't handle the stress of heavy objects.. good luck..

KL69
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]