> Happy Earth Day
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Apr-2008, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Hope you'll do your part to better the earth today!

Earth Day is a name used for two different observances, both held annually during spring in the northern hemisphere, and autumn in the southern hemisphere. These are intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment.
The United Nations celebrates an Earth Day each year on the March equinox, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969. A second Earth Day, which was founded by US politician Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in the late 1960s, is celebrated in many countries each year on April 22.

Heres a site where you can add what your going to do or get ideas from what other folks are doing.

Earth Day

Slainte

PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 22-Apr-2008, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 22-Apr-2008, 01:33 PM)
Hope you'll do your part to better the earth today!

Earth Day is a name used for two different observances, both held annually during spring in the northern hemisphere, and autumn in the southern hemisphere. These are intended to inspire awareness of and appreciation for the Earth's environment.
The United Nations celebrates an Earth Day each year on the March equinox, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969. A second Earth Day, which was founded by US politician Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in the late 1960s, is celebrated in many countries each year on April 22.

Heres a site where you can add what your going to do or get ideas from what other folks are doing.

Earth Day

Slainte

You know Rindy, I remember the first Earth Day. I was making things up at some ad agency on Madison Avenue, and 40TH Street, when a couple of friends and I decided, that in honor of Earth Day, (in order to save fuel.) That we would all go by Clamp on Roller Skates, and skate down to Union Square Park, where the First Earth Day rally was being held. Anyway, needless to say we had a blast, especially when we all skated out of the elevator, and back to our offices, around quitting time. Back in the day, you could get away with doing stuff like that, but I’m not sure you could today, (but I’d do it anyway).
Later,
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Apr-2008, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Johnny, thank you for that wonderuful story. You rebel you! wink.gif

I was amazed as a lot of people had never heard of it. I planted a peach tree but it was a week or so ago, had to get it into the ground. I have planted trees along the river as well.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 22-Apr-2008, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

Happy Earth Day, I did my share and picked up some garbage along the highway, gotta love our earth! wink.gif have a good day all!

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Apr-2008, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Way to go jime307!!

I thought this was cool.

Top 10 music acts going green with compost and biodiesel

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Going green has become a focus in recent years for many artists who are trying to help save the environment with everything from carbon offsets, to giving away autographed compost bins, to philanthropy.

With Earth Day celebrated on April 22 each year to mark the anniversary of the modern environmental movement, music publication Billboard published a list of 10 acts that have tried to make a difference to the environment over the past 12 months:

1. JACK JOHNSON

Hawaiian-born singer/songwriter Jack Johnson, a lifelong surfer, recently built a recording studio insulated with used denim and powered in part by solar panels at the Los Angeles HQ of his Brushfire Records, a cozy single-family home. Trucks and coaches on his 2008 tour will run on biodiesel, and venues are required to comply with his rules on cutting waste and recycling.

2. WILLIE NELSON

Country music star Willie Nelson's BioWillie biodiesel fuel, which is already sold in about six U.S. states, will add a key location when Willie's Place at Carl's Corner, Texas, opens this year. The truck stop, off the truck route from the Mexican to Canadian border, is billed as the biggest green truck stop in the United States with all fuels having some percentage of biofuel.

3. MANA

Mexican rock group Mana's nonprofit Selva Negra foundation, launched in 1994, has projects ranging from saving endangered species like the sea turtle to reforestation efforts. The group's most ambitious proposal to make environmental and ethics classes part of the curriculum for all of Mexican schoolchildren.

4. DAVE MATTHEWS BAND

The U.S. rock band, through environmental nonprofit Reverb, has calculated the CO2 emissions from every stop on its upcoming summer tour and purchased the renewable energy credits to make up for the footprint left by each venue, hotel, flight, tour vehicle and even fan travel. Fans can sign up online for a carpool.

5. KT TUNSTALL

Last September, Scottish singer/songwriter KT Tunstall partnered with record label Virgin to create a 100 percent post-consumer waste recycled and chlorine-free booklet for her CD "Drastic Fantastic." She also began work on the greening of her London home, as well as completing a carbon-neutral U.K. tour.

6. PEARL JAM

Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron last year played a January benefit for flood victims in Central Washington, while guitarist Stone Gossard helped plant vegetation in a Seattle park ravaged by English Ivy.

7. SERJ TANKIAN

The "System of a Down" frontman-turned-solo artist has founded Web site skyisover.net to connect fans to environmental and social justice organizations. He also founded a nonprofit, Axis of Justice, with former "Rage Against the Machine" guitarist Tom Morello and is working with environmental nonprofit Reverb to ensure his current tour leaves only a small carbon footprint.

8. RADIOHEAD

Delivering their album "In Rainbows" as a price-optional digital download before putting a physical product in stores last year prevented the manufacture and disposal of thousands of CDs. The British band travels unwillingly and when they do leave home, Thom Yorke and his bandmates partner with consulting firm Best Foot Forward to help reduce their carbon footprints.

9. MISSY HIGGINS

Australian singer/songwriter Missy Higgins spent two weeks traveling across the United States in a hybrid Prius this year, posting Web documentaries of stops at locations like the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, and the Mountain View Montessori School, a green elementary school.

10. THE ROOTS

The Roots have taken autographing to a new level. At this year's edition of their annual pre-Grammy Awards all-star jam session, the Philadelphia-based hip-hop crew gave away signed compost bins in an effort to promote the practice.

PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 18-Jun-2008, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Recently I posted a Poem called: Atrocity Sea. I wrote it because of a massive garbage dump recently discovered floating in the North Pacific. It is said to be maid up of anything that will float, and is predominately plastic bags and bottles. It can easily be seen by satellite, and is estimated to be twice the size of Texas. If that doesn’t make your day, I don’t know what will.
JC

http://www.physorg.com/news112248742.html
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 18-Jun-2008, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

Yup, it is there. It is called " The Great Pacific Garbage Patch" .
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2007/...here-reall.html

From discarded waste , to container ships losing cargo, illegal dumping, legal dumping its all out there floating about.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]