gwenlee 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Hi everyone. I hope you are having a great 4th of July. I had to work last night so I have slept part of the day. We are going to to go and see the fireworks tonight at the park.

Rindy please wish some cooler weather this way. It is so humid. And yes I am very thankful for the air conditioning. What kind of event is this mountain man rendezvous? Sounds like it might be interesting.

Emmet how do you cold press pleats?

Moonchild I hope you get your car working so. I am so thankful I have a husband that can fix our cars it saves us time and money.

Well I have to go. Be safe!!!!!!!!!!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CoyoteMoon 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

Realm: between Arizona & SW New Mexico

female

Ty, CR; at least I'll have the house closed but still need to find that elusive property for my dad & I. Decided Benson/Mescal is too hot & not in favor of the Wal-Mart mindset for such a small town. The right place will present itself when the time is right, of that I'm certain.

Will miss our wonderful neighbors in NM once all is done, brother & sister, 65 & 60, one with a bad heart, the other dying of MS. Their cat was attacked on Friday by another neighbor's two pitbulls, which have killed other cats & attacked a 4-yr-old girl. We're pushing to have the beasts euthanized while their owner has incurred an enormous vet bill for the poor cat. We didn't think he'd make it but he's surprising all, which is quite good since this cat has kept Sandy going for a number of years now. My d-i-l watched the whole thing as the cat had just left after his evening visit for love with my grandsons. The town is SO backward & the PD such a comedy, I will be quite thankful to be rid of the place.

I will also not miss the crazed fireworks six times per year, being thankful they are not allowed in AZ. The grandsons spend two weeks evey year this time with little sleep & migraines while the locals blast off, setting fires on private & public property. Most don't even know what they symbolize but, then again, that probably requires more than a third grade reading ability (50% of local h/s grads can't read at this level). Hoping they don't mess up my d-i-l's surgery on Monday; they almost killed her 2 yrs ago & the boys need their mom. I'll not return until a week from Wednesday, so posting is apt to be nonexistent.

Hoping all have a terrific & safe 4th & happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors!
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

"Emmet how do you cold press pleats?"

"Periodically, you will need to press the pleats of your kilt; this is best done by a method called cold pressing. This is not hard to do and will present the best appearance if done correctly. You will need a spray bottle of water, a fine-weaved dishcloth, and a weight of some sort; like a brick wrapped in tin foil; an old-fashioned cast-iron clothes iron is ideal. Fill your steam iron with water and set it for wool, with the steam on. Lay the kilt out flat on a hard surface; most ironing boards simply aren't big (or sturdy) enough. Starting at your left, arrange your pleats so that they are perfectly straight at a right angle to the kilt; below the stitching there should be no flare-out to the pleats, or it will look like a poodle skirt. This is fairly easy to do with a tartan kilt, as your eye naturally follows the line of the sett. Spray an area with water, cover with your cloth, and press with your steam iron. Do not drag the iron across the cloth, as this may disrupt the arrangement of the pleats underneath, but pick it up and put it down. Do not iron your kilt without a cloth, or the surface of the wool will develop a sheen. Working methodically from one side to the other, press with the steam iron for a few moments, then place your weight atop the area you just steamed. This will trap the steam within the wool as it cools; setting the crease. Once you get the hang of it, it takes no more time to cold press your kilt than to iron your dress shirt."

HIGHLAND DRESS; The correct wearing of the kilt; the national dress of Scotland, by Emmet Bondurant

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Rindy 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi just stopping in to see what everyone is doing.. Hope your 4th is going well..
I haven't heard many fireworks today. However there were many the last three days.

Moon Child- more power to you.. That is something I think everyone on this earth should know. I don't know anything when it comes to engines.

Mike- did you get to go to a ball game? I think its awful when you can't get a room somewhere I tend to panic.. Hope your fourth went well.

Emmet- thanks for all the info on cold pressing very interesting.. I have a lot to learn.

gwenlee- I do hope you get a bit of our cool weather. It wasn't nearly as warm here as it has been in the past.. Usually the 4th of July is hot.. 100's. Take care..

Hi Coyote Moon, Dreamer, DR, and to anyone else I might have missed. Well I am headed to Deadwood S.D. tomorrow wish me luck.. I have a feeling I am going to need it.

Happy 4th Everyone!
Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 12:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Hello all and Happy Fourth! Sorry I haven't been around as much, so gotta a lot to catch up in here.

Emmet! Great to see you in here so we can get to know you better. smile.gif Goodness, I had no idea what all was involved in pressing the pleats, but then I can imagine. have you played your pipes anywhere recently?

Rindy, have a wonderful trip and will be thinking of you and missing you muchly.

Hey Dreamer! Have not seen you in here for a long time. Sounds like you had a great trip. We have a White Mountains here in AZ. We are thinking seriously about buying a cabin up there for when we retire.

Hey Mike! I had a very quiet Fourth as my subdivision is full of police living here and no one dares pull out the fireworks that are not allowed in AZ. laugh.gif

Moonchild! You will not believe this. I got a notice from my bank last week saying that a hacker had gotten in there and did some damage to some people's accounts. As a result, we all have to have new debit cards and pin numbers. What an awful world, eh? I thought of you when I got this letter.

Hey CoyoteMoon. Good luck on the house hunting. Wal-mart is essential in the town I live in! Just ask Mike! laugh.gif

Hello to Gwenlee and SB! Hope all is well in GA now.

My SIL was released from the hospital yesterday. Really took a toll on her. She and the family really was concerned if she was going to make it or not. She thought she was really going to die! ohmy.gif Being in the hospital for 13 days really took a toll on her emotionally as well. She is doing better and we are thankful she is home to recover now.

Sorry this is short. So much to catch up in here. Take care y'all and have a great Fourth!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

No, I didn't get to go to a ballgame sad.gif . We went to my sister's house and had a cookout. I had a cheeseburger that was the size of a hockey puck ohmy.gif . I only take catsup on my burgers, so it wasn't too big.

Rose, fireworks are contraband in Arizona? Same here in Illinois, so of course the border towns in Indiana are littered with fireworks stores. Cops in the Illinois border towns (including Chicago-the southeast tip of the city shares a border with Indiana) sit on the Illinois side just waiting to catch offenders. I didn't buy any this year, but when I do, I do it smartly. It's a combination of three ways:

1. I never go to any of the stores in the border towns.
2. I take a different route back than the one I went out on.
3. I buy 'em in March or April when the police aren't looking too hard.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh Mike! Sorry to hear about your lack of fireworks. We used to do the same three things you do to buy them, but now that we live in a subdivision full of cops so we had to get rid of them! laugh.gif

sounds like you had a great hamburger though. I had pizza...........pepperoni at that and I hate pepperoni. But the only kind hubby will eat. rolleyes.gif When I eat a hamburger I want everything on it! biggrin.gif
MDF3530 
  Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 01:03 AM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Heck, I have cops as my immediate neighbors on both sides. When we got home, I saw one of them setting off bottle rockets and the other lighting a Roman candle.

My favorites are Roman candles and these .99 cents a bag impulse buys called ladyfingers. Roman candles shoot fireballs and ladyfingers are loud.
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 05-Jul-2005, 02:03 AM)
Heck, I have cops as my immediate neighbors on both sides. When we got home, I saw one of them setting off bottle rockets and the other lighting a Roman candle.

My favorites are Roman candles and these .99 cents a bag impulse buys called ladyfingers. Roman candles shoot fireballs and ladyfingers are loud.

eek.gif What?! You gotta be kidding! well all was quiet on my street because of our cops. I have one living next door to me and a narc agent living across the street. I found that out because I accidently got his mail! laugh.gif
3Ravens 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 03:45 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Rose, you better walk the straight and narrow! You're suurounded, come out with hands up.
Mike,count digits.......still got ten? Then you are OK til next year!
Emmett, doesn't matter if you get those A-pipes tuned right, all the tunes are in D anyway! Besides they aren't supposed to be in tune, are they? Being just far enough off to make your fillings buzz is part of the mystique........ wink.gif I do have a lil bitty A whistle tho, hmmmmmmmm.

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Emmet...have you played your pipes anywhere recently? "

I piped a huge formal wedding Saturday at the Vinoy where they'd specifically requested an Irish piper. Groom was an Irish-American Jew, bride was an Indian Catholic, they had both a priest and a rabbi, and at least 3/4 of the wedding party was in saris, kurtas, and turbans, apparently mostly Sikh and Hindu, with a smattering of yarmulkes, and of course me in my kilt, doublet & caubeen. Kind of like piping for the U.N. That evening I went up to our local Irish pub to pipe my friend Brendan's birthday; lots of old friends and other guys in kilts, and a full house that by the time I stepped up was very receptive to the pipes; a great evening. I also piped a big public memorial service last month for a 20 year old killed in Iraq; one of the hardest gigs I've done in recent memory. I'm piping another memorial service tomorrow on smallpipes, indoors in a tiny chapel.
valpal59 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

We sat on the front porch last night and watched all of the kids on the block set off their fireworks. There are some really cool fireworks. We are on vacation this week. Taking it easy.We couldn't go anywhere because of the dogs. They are so old that no one wants to take care of them anymore. They are afraid something will happen while we are gone. Also 2 of them are deathly afraid of fireworks. I finally weeded my flower bed yesterday morning. Thanks to the mosquitos, I had let it go. Didn't get in the pool, still a little burnt from the day before. We are going to Borger today. Wal-Mart and Ace lumber. Getting the lumber to put the perghola top on the patio. Also going out to the local greenhouse. They are having their end of the year sale. Since my flower bed ended up alot bigger than I had planned, I still need alot of plants. Hope everyone has a good day. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
gwenlee 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Hi everyone I'm glad you had a safe 4th of July. This is the first year that Georgia allowed fireworks to be sold to the public. I know there was some restrictions of the kind sold but I didn't keep up with it because I won't buy any.

Emmet- thanks for the info on pleat pressing. I'll have to try it on my sons kilt. Right now I have to get it altered. He lost some weight and now it is too big in the waist. I told him I'm proud he lost weight but couldn't he have done it before I decided to get his kilt? Anyway I told my friend about the problem and he took a look at it and said it could be done but if he loses anymore he would need a new kilt. Right now it rides low. Someone suggested suspenders but Aaron said no way. I don't blame him. My 14 year old daughter is interested in learning the pipes. So I guess I'll ask the pipers that practice at the church on Thursday about where we start. I think its neat she wants to learn. Anyway if you have any suggestions about learning the pipes let me know.

Rindy- we got some cooler weather last night but with it came terrible thunder storms. But it cleared up for the fireworks and it was so beautiful. I got real teary during the tribute to our troops and when the song God Bless the USA was sung.

Well I have to go and get some housework done take care everyone.
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hello 3 Ravens, Valpal, Emmet, gwenlee!

Emmet, so funny when you said it was like playing for the UN. Sounds like you keep pretty busy piping.

3Ravens, hope work went well last night! You and gwenlee could compare nursing stories!

Val, it is hard to leave the dogs when they get older. I know how that is.

Glad all had a good Fourth! It is 111 degrees here right now. Very sunny, hot and dry. We are anxiously awaiting our monsoon season here. We need it bad as it has not rained since March and we are having all these brush fires still.

Anybody seen Old Raven? Haven't seen or heard from him in a long time.

Hello to all! Have a good evening!
Emmet 
Posted: 05-Jul-2005, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

"Emmet- thanks for the info on pleat pressing. I'll have to try it on my sons kilt. Right now I have to get it altered. He lost some weight and now it is too big in the waist. I told him I'm proud he lost weight but couldn't he have done it before I decided to get his kilt? Anyway I told my friend about the problem and he took a look at it and said it could be done but if he loses anymore he would need a new kilt. Right now it rides low. Someone suggested suspenders but Aaron said no way. I don't blame him. My 14 year old daughter is interested in learning the pipes. So I guess I'll ask the pipers that practice at the church on Thursday about where we start. I think its neat she wants to learn. Anyway if you have any suggestions about learning the pipes let me know."

Depending on how much weight he's lost, you might be able to get by with just moving the buckles farther back on the hips. The deciding factor will be the inner apron, and the location of the slot for the inner apron's tab. Sometimes kilts are pleated with a deep pleat on either side, where they can be taken in (or let out) as necessary.
Almost the only way to learn to play pipes is from another piper; the great Highland bagpipe is reputed to be one of the hardest instruments to learn. Best is 1:1 tutoring, but many bands have programs for beginners. If they don't they should know who to refer you to.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt