> So What's New With Your Search
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jul-2005, 03:40 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

I heard about this and it is indeed very fascinating . Keep us posted on all this, eh? wink.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

It's been an interesting week. laugh.gif

I called my second cousin in Ireland on Saturday and she had more names for me. We just didn't have enough time to cover everyone during my visit to Ireland. She gave me another 15 names and birthdays and other info.

Then, on Monday evening, I received an e-mail from another relative, who got my e-mail address from the web master of Shrule.com. Since I have become very good friends with Martin, he knows that anyone who sounds legit and claims that they are related to me, he passes my e-mail address on. Now, this lady turns out to be the grand daughter of my mothers cousin. She gave me enough names to put our family tree over the 1000 names. clap.gif clap.gif band.gif cheers.gif partytime.gif martini.gif

On to the next 1000!!!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Aug-2005, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Goodness, Mike! That is incredible! Maybe you should consider moving to Ireland and hang out with all these new found relatives. That would be tempting to me! Good on ya! thumbs_up.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 10-Aug-2005, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

The newly found relative of Monday, passed my responses on to her cousin, who was gathering information for their side of the family tree. Neither of them knew anything about us. When I e-mailed a copy of my version of the family tree, they were both blown away.

Anyway, they sent me another 25 names.

I have also come across another relative that lives about 25 minutes from me and they will be adding many more names also. Haven't had a chance to really talk with them yet.

Rose, as much as I would love to go back to Shrule, most of the names that I have added in the last week, are here in the U.S.

I have 3 cousins, in the next two months, that are heading to Shrule for the first time. They can't wait to meet the relatives that are still in the area.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Aug-2005, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh very exciting, Mike! I hope it all works out! thumbs_up.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 21-Aug-2005, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

smile.gif I'm in a groove right now. Just got a letter from another relative with a list of more names. In the last 3 weeks, I've added 56 names and now the family tree is at 1054. The nice part about this, they found me. Just proves that you need to post your information everywhere on the genealogy pages.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Jan-2006, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well I keep working on my genealogy as well. The further I get back, the more English I become...hence my new English crown! laugh.gif Well I know the English were not Celts but I do have some Scots-Irish to claim some Celtic blood! wink.gif I had really hoped for more Scottish ancestry, but it all is revealing English. My family on both sides were Quakers who originally emigrated to Ireland and then to the colonies and settled in Chester County, Pennslyvania or in New Jersey. They eventually left there and settled in North Carolina and GA. This is where it gets odd as I wonder why the southern states (not that that is bad, please don't misunderstand) as I am just wondering. They eventually all left the Quaker faith and became staunch Baptists when they relocated south! From what I have read, the Scots-Irish settled in the southern states and greatly disliked the English...oops! Guess my ancestors weren't too welcome, but then I hear they married the Scots-Irish eventually! First you hate one another then love! LOL So what a world we live in, eh? laugh.gif That's my story and I am sticking to it! wink.gif tongue.gif
dfilpus 
Posted: 02-Oct-2007, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

My latest discovery is that I am related through marriage with three passengers on the Titanic.

Reverend William (30) and Mrs Anna Lahtinen (26) were Finnish-Americans who had been visiting Northern Finland in order to assist Anna's cousin, Miss Lyyli Silven in immigrating to America. When the Titanic sank, Anna had first jumped into a lifeboat, but somehow decided not to leave the sinking liner, obviously because she wanted to stay with her husband. Miss Silven (18), however, got in a boat and was rescued. She later told that Anna Lahtinen had looked very nervous, while William had calmly smoked a cigar. Neither of the bodies were found.

Reverend Lahtinen was one of best known Finnish preachers in his day. He, his wife and daughter Martha and cousin Lyyli had been scheduled for an earlier trip back to America. Martha came down with brain fever and died. This delayed their departure from Finland and caused them to be on the fateful cruise.

Survivors describe Reverend Lahtinen as praying with others on deck, comforting whom he could.

One of my great-grandfather Filpus's sisters married Anna Lahtinen's brother, which gives the connection into my family.

Many Finnish immigrants died on the Titanic. The normal immigration route from Finland was from Hanko Finland to Hull England. The immigrants then caught a train to one of the Atlantic ports, usually Liverpool, but sometimes Southhampton, to cross the Atlantic third class in the great ocean liners. The Lahtinens were traveling second class.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
dfilpus 
Posted: 17-Nov-2007, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

One of great-grandfather Filpus's brother and his wife joined the Communist Party during the Great Depression. In the early 1930's, the Soviet Union recruited communists of Finnish ancestry to settle in Karelia, a former province of Finland, now part of the Russian Federation. The intent was to create a Red Finland, to create connections to influence the Finnish state. The Nils Filpus family took the offer and emigrated to Karelia in 1933. Their daughter Paula decided she wasn't going to Karelia, so she went to Trieste Italy and eventually moved back to the United States. In 1938, her parents disappeared and Paula never found out what happened to them.

In 1937-1938, the Soviets decided that the immigrants were a bad influence, since they had connections outside the Soviet Union, so they arrested the immigrants and executed them. The Soviets used a forest in the Sandarmoh woods near the town of Medvezhjegorsk as a execution ground. They dug trenches and lined up prisoners and shot them into their graves.

The existence of this secret massacre was hidden in the files of the KGB until after the fall of the Soviet Union. According to the KGB archive data, from August 11, 1937 to December 24, 1938 more than 9,500 people of 58 nationalities were executed by shooting and buried in the death trenches. The victims were Russians, Karelians, Finns, Ukrainians, Belorussians, Tatars, Udmurts, Jewish, Gypsies, Germans, Polish, Americans, and other nationalities.

A list of Finnish-American victims is at http://www.levonius.com/Laiho_List/Karelia...ictims_List.htm
The Filpus family now knows what happened to Nils and Elvira Filpus. Unfortunately, their daughter Paula died in 1987, never learning the truth.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 17-Nov-2007, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Just found out through a family friend that my great aunt was dating a very famous gangsters brother for a while. He had even given her a small pearl handled gun as a present and for protection. Wonder what became of it. Hurley has a bit of a ganster past but both her and her husband are long gone now along with the rest of the family secrets on her side.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]