> A Great Celt Passes On, Ronald Reagan Dies 6/5/2004
Sea Dog 
Posted: 14-Jun-2004, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

male

Actually from Sea Dog, Kassia hasn't heard it yet. I don't think she could make it through it yet.

West Point cadets sing hymn for Gibson film
Song will run during credits

By Lee Park
© Poughkeepsie Journal- 14 January 2002

Karl Rabe/ Poughkeepsie Journal
The United States Military Academy Cadet Glee Club warms up with help from director Connie Chase, at piano, in the basement of the Cadet Chapel at West Point before recording a song to be used in the upcoming Mel Gibson film "We Were Soldiers."

Mel Gibson's upcoming Vietnam War film, "We Were Soldiers," has a special meaning to the West Point Cadet Glee Club.

The film, opening March 1, features the cadets singing a hymn during the closing credits. The hymn, also called "We Were Soldiers," is a fitting song to complement the true story of about a group of 400 troops from an elite combat division who become surrounded by 2,000 North Vietnamese soldiers.

"We Were Soldiers" was written, directed and produced by Randall Wallace, who also wrote "Braveheart," directed and produced "The Man In The Iron Mask" and wrote the screenplay for "Pearl Harbor."

The story is based on a book by retired Gen. Harold G. Moore and Joseph Galloway. Gibson stars as Moore, with a supporting cast featuring Madeline Stowe, Sam Elliott, Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper, who portrays Galloway.

Maj. Augustus Fountain, officer in charge of the glee club, said the West Point superintendent received a phone call from Moore, asking that the cadets sing for a recording for the closing credits. Paramount sent engineers and recording personnel to West Point, where they set up in the Cadet Chapel.

"It's probably the best location for a choral performance at the academy," said Fountain. "The choir area is acoustically designed to boost choral sounds."

The Glee Club was a natural choice for the film, according to Michael Dalling, spokesman for Wallace.

Looking for right feel

"It was more to do with (Wallace) wanting to have the right sort of feel at the end of the film," said Dalling. "Moore was a West Pointer himself and he was very much involved in the film."

The West Point Cadet Glee Club recorded the hymn for the soundtrack last Wednesday. The music was written by Nick Glennie-Smith, who also did the scores for "Home Alone 3," "The Rock" and "The Man In The Iron Mask."

The lyrics to "We Were Soldiers" were penned by Wallace. The words include this verse:

"To fallen heroes let us sing,
where no rockets fly nor bullets wing.
Our broken brothers let us bring,
To the mansions of the lord."

"It's a hymn of dedication to fallen soldiers," said Fountain, noting that the glee club was rehearsing the song for several days.

--------------------
Give me a fast ship for I intend to sail in harm's way. - John Paul Jones

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 14-Jun-2004, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

We are saying goodbye to a great man.

A father
A husband
A relgious man
A leader
An actor

He will be missed greatly. Farewell to one of the greatest President we have ever had!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]