maggiemahone1 
Posted: 25-May-2002, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I hope everyone has a good Memorial Day Week-end.  The start of the summer season here in the USA.  

maggiemahone1

::sunsmiley  ::daisy   ::flower
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
ShortBit 
Posted: 25-May-2002, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Rienzi, Mississippi USA

Thanks Maggie and I am wishing the same to all.  I hope you will take the time to remember those who have sacrificed so greatly for our freedoms.  It is so hard to come up with the words so everyone uses the same ones over and over.  Then they become common place.   Take the time to really think about the words and phrases you will be hearing this weekend.

DON'T EVER FORGET.

Pauline...One very proud American

--------------------
ShortBit from Mississippi

PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 26-May-2002, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

What is Memorial Day??? :(
The question may be stupid but I'm german and I don't have much knowledge about American Festivities... ::confused

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 26-May-2002, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,684 Gold!

Quote (Aon_Daonna @ May 26 2002,09:55)
What is Memorial Day??? :(
The question may be stupid but I'm german and I don't have much knowledge about American Festivities... ::confused

Hi Aon!

Well, Memorial Day is in the US, atleast this monday, so we don't expect you to know all of the US holidays! ;)

It really started during the civil war. A way to remember people that have died in battle. It is also a day that people usually visit the graveyards and pay respect to people that have pass, especially vets and such.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
ShortBit 
Posted: 26-May-2002, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Rienzi, Mississippi USA

Your question is NOT stupid...and if you don't ask questions you don't learn.   May I humbly suggest a page from my website.....Memorial Day: A Day of Remembrance
http://www.rienzihills.com/mday/birthplace.htm
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 27-May-2002, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Yes, I too am glad to be an American. I am thankful for all the men and women that have fought to keep this nation free.  I have traced relatives in my genealogy, who fought against the Brits in the Revolutionary War. My gggrandfather died in the Civil War not from a wound but from measels. My Dad fought in World WarII and he had brothers that fought in the Korean War. That's just a few who have fought to keep this nation free.  I'm sure each of you have your own similarities, no matter what country you live in.

maggiemahone1
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 27-May-2002, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I like to be German although I'm not proud of it. I think this really is a matter of the History.
Germans aren't allowed to show patriotism in the form American people are doing it because othes would be suspicious about it.
Because patriotism here always led to Nationalism and terrible wars.
Perhaps this is why I can't understand Patriotism. I mean, I too am proud of what my forefathers built up. But somehow I just can't.
The fact that Germany (and the fact how the History worked into it) brought up 2 terrible wars made us realize and appretiate that there are other ways than war.
That's how I explain my anti-patriotism. It is not offensive but I think alot and I know that Patriotism means strong feelings and if these feelings are hurt it comes to terrible reactions. This can be seen between persons and also if the national pride/feelings are hurt.
I lost 2 ggrandfathers (I didn't even know them...) in WW2 and my ggrandmother had to give up all what they had because some insane demagogue managed to control the whole people of Germany.
Maybe wars were necessary to some people in other times, but at least today when we can try to make others understand and we can talk, war shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Please excuse the emotional outburst of an idealistic 19 years old.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 27-May-2002, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I am really not anti-American (and I hope you do not see all I posted here as Anti-American. But today it is so difficult to critizise eg: Israel) but I just saw a report on cnn of the Memorial Day Festivities in New York. It looked like war itself and being soldier was celebrated...
why???
I thought it was for those who fell. It should be a day to remember not to celebrate war!
When victims should be remembered children shouldn't be tempted to buy plastic guns & rifles
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 28-May-2002, 10:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

Aon, I like what you had to say.  And no I don't think of you as being anti-american.  Memorial day should be a day set aside to remember all those brave young men and women who died so we as Americans have the freedoms we have.  Now adays it's just another holiday to have cook outs and have a 3 day weekend.  We as Americans have lost site as to why this day was sat aside.  My gfather fought in WWI, my dad was in the Pacific when the WWII ended.  My brother was in Veitnam and my Hubbie was in combat.  So this day means alot to me because I could of lost the ones I love to war.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 29-May-2002, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,684 Gold!

Yes I agree with you AOn, your not being anti-American. Like AK said it is just another holiday. Even all the malls are open!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 29-May-2002, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

Well our house hold is proud of being German. We carry a German sir-name. We are just as proud of our Scottish, Irish and Apachie bloodlines.  Kinda Hienz 57 aren't we?  We remember those of our family who fell in war or served in the military to keep the freedoms Americans take for granted.  My husband's great, great grandfather was in the Civil War for the north. My Apachie great, great grandfather was a guid for a southern gun runner.  My uncle Sam was assigned to the Arizona. He died before war was declared for the USA. My husband's uncle servied in Italy during WWII. He never lived to have children. My husband was in Navy during the Veitnam War. My son was in the Navy during the Persian War.  War is not to be praised, but those who fought should be remembered.  Do not be ashamed of those in your line who fought on the loosing side.  My Apachie line fought on the loosing side, but the name USA service men yelled for courage, in WWII was Geronimo, an Apachie warrior.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
  Posted: 30-May-2002, 05:32 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Somehow it is difficult today to critisize.
If you're critisizing Israel Sharon speakes of a "wave of Anit-semitism that is rolling throughout the whole world"
If you're critisizing Japan for their whaling politics they feel attacked...

Here in Germany is a heavy anti-semitism crisis right now. A FDP (liberal party) member spoke of the "Nazi-methods" of the Isreal Government in their fight against the Palestinian terror.
To say that in a country which has to live with it's "nazi-history" is heavily wrong.
Now there is a debate how the germans feel about anti-semitism. I myself am highly interested in the jewish culture and everything that happened with them in history.
I really don't think I am anti-semit but I'm third generation after WWII but I really hate it to be made responsible for what happened before my birth.
But somehow that is still happening.
And this is what is happening now. The "Zentralrat der Juden in Deutschland" now is now stating the members of the FDP are all anti-semits and after a poll a german professor made at his university (which stated that 36% of the students want to let history be history) now there is a debate if all germans are anti-semit.
I really don't like what was happening in the time of the Nazis and I never want to let something like this happen again but somehow I really don't feel responsible for what happened before my birth, even my parents weren't born in that time.
Am I anti-semit because I don't feel responsible for what my ggrandparents did?
I don't think so. But I don't want to made responsible for that too.
And to be made anti-semit only because I critizise the politics of a state i don't want to be made an enemy of that state.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 30-May-2002, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Aon,  About criticism,  people are always going to find fault about something.   Here in the US, we are still criticized about certain issues that happened over 150 years ago in the south. I can't help what my ancestors did way back when. To me, that is water under the bridge, we just try to do better for today and the future generations.  

Try not to let this issue bother you too much. This is a big world and everyone has an opinion.  Politics, religion or whatever.  

I'm sending some (rose) (rose) your way.  Lots of (note) (note) too.  

maggiemahone1
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 03-Jun-2002, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Just came back from the Black Forest...
Quite a lot to read... =)

A note on the Discussion going on atm.
I hate it to be critisized for something I've never done but I can understand it. The Things happened in Nazi-Germany where cruel and they were for real.
But now there are synagogues burning in France and Le Pen has a great success. And the Washington Post titled about the things going on in Germany "Endlösung, Part II).
Something isn't right here.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 03-Jun-2002, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

Aon,  I figured you was on a trip.  I have a cukoo clock made in the Black Forest of Germany.  In fact My hubby bought it for me our first Christmas as married folks.  That was a long time ok.  Longer than you are old.  Good to have you back!

maggiemahone1
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]