MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

My dad just upgraded one of his client's computers to Windows 7 and said it's the best thing Microsoft has made yet. So for all of you that hate and curse Vista, either wait a month or two for the final Windows 7 version. Or upgrade to the Evaluation version (BETA) now.

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 09:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

QUOTE (Patriot1776 @ 04-May-2009, 04:29 AM)
I most recently put Ubuntu Linux on the laptop of a friend of my brother's. I completely destroyed the Vista partition in the process, AFTER backing up all of his music onto a single DVD. He loves Ubuntu now and is a Linux convert.

I enjoy Linux for most average computing tasks. If all I did was check e-mail, surf the web, and occasionally use Word Processing and Spreadsheets, I'd go Linux all the way. However, that's not all I do:

1. Gaming - While many games are free on Linux, and some are amazingly awesome like Battle for Wesnoth. Mainstream games are not easy to get running on Linux. Yes, there's WINE and WINE-X that with many tweakings, can play some of the higher end games. Regardless, I do IT for a living. If I wanted to come home and work for hours just to be able to play a game....well, I'd never leave work. smile.gif Gaming is not a fantastic experience on Linux.

2, Photoshop - I own a professional Photography business. We're entirely digital, and Photoshop is the industry standard. I know that GIMP is out there, and *I* use GIMP for everything. However, my wife does all the photography editing, and we've used the programs side-by-side. GIMP does not hold a candle to Photoshop. All of the instructional material that's out there assumes photoshop or some other proprietary software, and the new versions of Photoshop just blow GIMP away.

So I like Linux. I have a soft spot in my heart for it, and wish I could use it. But I'm not going to sacrifice the convenience that Windows gives me. Couple that with installed antivirus, and safe computing practices, and you get the fact that I haven't had a single major problem with Windows in over a decade. (Apart from the pain in the BUTT that RAID drivers were with Windows XP. However, Vista took care of that perfectly.)

That being said, I'm not saying that Windows has no problems. They do. So does Linux, and MacOS. I like the fact that we all have choices on what OS we can run. Competition is good for everyone involved.

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Taliesin 
Posted: 06-May-2009, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

QUOTE (MacDonnchaidh @ 06-May-2009, 07:47 AM)
My dad just upgraded one of his client's computers to Windows 7 and said it's the best thing Microsoft has made yet. So for all of you that hate and curse Vista, either wait a month or two for the final Windows 7 version. Or upgrade to the Evaluation version (BETA) now.

For the record, Windows 7 will not be a panacea for all Operating System problems. There are bugs even in the Release Candidate of Windows 7 that have not been discovered yet. I repeat, there will be bugs and security holes. To expect otherwise, is folly.

That being said, I've heard really good things about Windows 7, and won't have a problem upgrading when my current Vista machines need hardware upgrades.

Here's an interesting study I remember reading about. Link follows:

Microsoft gathered a group of Windows XP users, and were told they were test-driving the new version (after Vista) of Windows code-named Windows Mojave. They were asked for their response to a couple of Mojave demos, and the results were positive. XP Users indicated that they liked Mojave. They were then told that Mojave was actually Vista.

From the article:

"Microsoft's rationale for the project was to show that people's negative perceptions of Vista have been influenced more by what they've heard than by what they've experienced, and Webster suggested that the positive results of Mojave were a form of vindication for Microsoft.

'And the hypothesis was confirmed when across the board, participants concluded that they needed to take another look before simply accepting what they'd heard,' Webster wrote. 'Again, we know from lots of user and non-user data that the closer they look the more they will like it. We just needed to give them a reason to take another look.'"

What's more, Microsoft originally planned to have a fun section of the website, showcasing people who refused to budge on their anti-Vista stance even after the demos, but they had to scrap that, as they had no one that did.

My point isn't that Vista doesn't have its problems, or that manufacturers didn't drop the ball in putting Vista on machines barely meeting the minimum system requirements. My point is that a great deal of many people's perception of Vista is based on what they've heard, rather than any concrete complaints about the OS itself. I am not speaking of Camac, of course, or anyone who has a valid complaint about the OS. Just that there are a great many people who have an impression of Vista that is based on what they've heard through blogs or the news, and not with a trial or experience of their own.

Article about the Mojave Experiment: http://www.crn.com/software/210201062;jses...LRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

The Mojave Experiment Official Website: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mojave-experiment/
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]