Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A Celtic-vedic Connection?, check this out. . .
stoirmeil 
Posted: 21-Jun-2006, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I don't know how feasible this is, but it's an interesting theory.

The Celto-Himalayan connection
by Barry Dunford

Could it be that the the European Celtic racial streaming originated, at least in part, in the remote recesses of South Asia, in the region of the high mountain range of the Himalaya ("Abode of Snows")? The following information suggests this may have been the case.

Under the heading "Common Ground of European Celts & Indian Vedic Hindus", published in the May 1994 issue of the magazine Hinduism Today is related: "Like two rivers cascading from the same mist-shrouded mountain, Celtic and early Vedic culture share astonishing similarities....Celtic cosmology cognizes four interrelating worlds of existence: netherworld, earth realm; heavenly realm of dead and demi-gods; white realm of supreme Deities and energy source of stars. Vedic cosmology perceives three interrelating worlds-physical; astral world of dead and demi-gods; causal universe of Deities, Supreme Being and primal energy; plus a fourth netherworld....Imagine a wide swath from Iceland, Ireland, the European west coast across southern Russia, the Caucus mountains, through Afghanistan and into India; that is the common ground for this unnamed mutual spiritual/cultural system....

Whole article is here:
http://www.sacredconnection.ndo.co.uk/holy...tohimalayan.htm
PMEmail Poster               
ShadowDarkFyre 
Posted: 21-Jun-2006, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

ur-Lord of the Domain and Realms

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Caer RivenMyst, Fantasia I.D.

male

That would put into mind a certain mountain in the Himalayas that's intrigued me for quite some time.

--------------------
user posted image

There's magick in believing...

The Domain and Realms
http://www.thedomainandrealms.com
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 21-Jun-2006, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

oh please be a little more vague...

which mountain oh wise one?????

I can see where several cultures share the same similarities...but then again the definition of celtic has become so widespread in recent years that it could cover just about any culture at this point.

So we now have another set of mountain celts....would they be of the same mindset that some here living in the hills would be? Let me explain this a bit. I see different versions of the celts than what you found Stormeil.

I see celts as being divided into three primary groups myself...you have the sea-folk (fishermen, those that thrive on the waters), you have the mountain-folk (the miners, those that love the heights), and you have the explorers (the wanderers, the ones that never feel happy living in one place for any long period of time).

While individuals in each of these groups can feel like they are part of any of the other two, there is always one lifestyle that they feel most comfortable with and will always revert to. I myself am most comfortable on the waters and feel most sympathetic to those that work and travel the waters. While ShadowDarkFyre I have a sneaking suspicion he is truly an explorer because he's never one to stay in one place for very long (except infront of a computer maybe). He's always off finding new places and seeking new things where I'm just content to be.

I've found these three groups to be fairly common amongst those that claim to be celts...they always find their home (or drawn to it) in one of those three areas.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
ShadowDarkFyre 
Posted: 21-Jun-2006, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

ur-Lord of the Domain and Realms

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Caer RivenMyst, Fantasia I.D.

male

QUOTE (Senara @ 21-Jun-2006, 09:30 PM)
oh please be a little more vague...

which mountain oh wise one?????

I can see where several cultures share the same similarities...but then again the definition of celtic has become so widespread in recent years that it could cover just about any culture at this point.

So we now have another set of mountain celts....would they be of the same mindset that some here living in the hills would be? Let me explain this a bit. I see different versions of the celts than what you found Stormeil.

I see celts as being divided into three primary groups myself...you have the sea-folk (fishermen, those that thrive on the waters), you have the mountain-folk (the miners, those that love the heights), and you have the explorers (the wanderers, the ones that never feel happy living in one place for any long period of time).

While individuals in each of these groups can feel like they are part of any of the other two, there is always one lifestyle that they feel most comfortable with and will always revert to. I myself am most comfortable on the waters and feel most sympathetic to those that work and travel the waters. While ShadowDarkFyre I have a sneaking suspicion he is truly an explorer because he's never one to stay in one place for very long (except infront of a computer maybe). He's always off finding new places and seeking new things where I'm just content to be.

I've found these three groups to be fairly common amongst those that claim to be celts...they always find their home (or drawn to it) in one of those three areas.

Was that necessary... What's supposed to be so wise about what I was saying anyway...

PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 21-Jun-2006, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

was being sarcastic dear one...if it skipped past you in a bright pink and yellow polka-dotted dress then I'm sorry....thought you could figure that out.....

so which mountain are you thinking of already...give us a whole answer not just some musing....
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 24-Jun-2006, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Interesting Stoirmeil. I'd thought such a connection was mostly linguistic. Speaking of which, the article mentions a close connection between Welsh and Sanskrit. Here's a related article from the BBC - The article mentions a closer connection between Hindi (derivative of Sanskrit) and Welsh than other IE languages. I'm not sure about this, especially since numerals show distinct similarities for all the IE languages as do words for mother, father, brother etc, but as you said, its interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4328733.stm

One wonders about this stuff. I saw an article in Archeology magazine where someone discovered a Mayan style step pyramid in Bosnia that they want to excavate.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]