Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Serious Business: Fishing, What is YOUR approach?
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Mar-2006, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Shame on you Sir Richard slapping that water like that...lol and what was the cabin called again???? It is good to have you back..I couldn't find a fly fisherman but I thought of you when I saw this..

user posted image

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 09-Mar-2006, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 09-Mar-2006, 07:50 PM)
I couldn't find a fly fisherman but I thought of you when I saw this..

user posted image

Slainte

Thank you Rindy, I like that one just as well.

But if you would have seen me yesterday in the water, you wouldn't have thought that I was a Flyfisherman either. tongue.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 10-Mar-2006, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

"Yeah, the only bad day of fishing is when you don't go at all. "

I have had a long string of those. rolleyes.gif

Yes, the cabin is still there. I want to make it this summer. We will see.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 12-Mar-2006, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 10-Mar-2006, 01:40 PM)
I have had a long string of those. rolleyes.gif

Well Maisky, we must have been in the same boat. Oh, was that a Pun? wink.gif

Yes it has been too long for me too. But this year I am hoping to change that quite a bit.

I think my First Step if for me to start using an Ultra Light Spinning outfit. I am still going to be tying my own flies but they would be adapted to an Ultra Light. I have already been tying these and have given some to my Doctor, who uses Ultra Lights too. I am not really willing to give up the Flyrod yet but after Wednesday's Outting I think it may be time. sad.gif For one, it took me over 15 minutes just to tie one splice knot and all it was was just a simple Double Surgeon's Knot. As far at looking like a Rookie doesn't really bother me because I could fix that by just practising in my back yard. But when I can not manipulate my hand while tying knots then I think it is time to start looking elsewhere. At least I can still tie an Improved Clinch Knot. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 20-Mar-2006, 11:16 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Well I am going to give that Improved Clinch Knot a try in the morning. It is suppose to be snowing all day but what better time to go out and catch some Trout? wink.gif

I am going to be using my 7 12' Ultra-Light Spinning Rod with #4 Flourocarbon Line. Along with a Ulta-Light Jig I just tied up that looks so much like a Sculpin I almost bought an Aquarium to keep it in. rolleyes.gif Well it at least looks good.

I expect to come back with a Great Report tomorrow. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 21-Mar-2006, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

We will wait with baited breath!
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 21-Mar-2006, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 21-Mar-2006, 12:01 PM)
We will wait with baited breath!

sad.gif Sorry to say that I cannot report my day's Fishing Adventure. I don't mind going out when it is snowing but adding wind gusts of up to 25 MPH does not help my case. I will just have to try again in another 48 hours.

As far as waiting with Baited Breath dry.gif You might trying a Good Mouthwash like Maker's Mark thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 29-Mar-2006, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Well my report is not all that spectacular. I did go out and I did have one hit on the Ultralight but I was wishing that I had my Flyrod the whole time. sad.gif

It was a Beautiful day, Temperature was in the low 50's, mild South wind and mostly cloudy. The atmosphere was really nice. But I was glad just to be out there.

While I was on the River, there was a Blue Winged Olive Hatch going on all around me and the Trout was rising to them. It was Beautiful. thumbs_up.gif

So I have decided that even though I may look like a rookie and have trouble tying my knots I think I would have had more fun with the Flyrod than anything else.

To add another THORN to all of this, my Physical Therapist advised me to refrain from my Flyfishing until I have fully recovered. And I said, "Yes M'mam" wink.gif

Until the next report, Happy Fishing.
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 01-Apr-2006, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Well since my Therapist suggested that I take some time off from my Flyfishing I might as well do something productive towards my Future in it.

So I have started working on building a Proto-type of a Rod to simplify my Flyfishing. There is not much to it. Basicly it is a 10' Whip pole which I have permantely attached a 5' tapered Flyline where I can attach my 7 1/2' Tapered Leader to. There will be no Reel on it and it would be basicly an Izzak Walton fishing pole (Cane pole).

But this is much more than a simple Cane Pole. This is part of a Fishing style used in British Isles in the late 1800's (if not longer) called "Loop Fishing" using a "Loop Rod". There was a book written on the Subject in 1885 by David Webster called "The Angler and the Loop Rod". I have only read excerpts from it and it does fascinate me. I had been doing some research on this long before reading this article, as a matter of fact, for over 10 years and I think it is time that I start it now.
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 01-Apr-2006, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

This is all much to technical for me. I may revert to an earlier style, even though my father objected to it at the time: Dupont lures. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 02-Apr-2006, 01:07 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Well Maisky,

After today performance, those Dupont Lure sounds rather alluring.

The Loop Rod would be OK if you were using a heavier bait such as Live Bait or even Ultralight Tackle. As far as using it with very light flies such as a #14 Soft Hackle there is not enough punch to get the line to roll out as it needs to be. I was a little hampered by the 20+ mile an hour winds but I still could get it to lay out even with the wind at my back. sad.gif

I am not giving up the idea of the Loop Rod because I like its simplicity and you know how much I like the KISS System (Keep It Simple Stupid).

I have been tying some Jigs that should handle this problem, I just need more Research Time (More Time Fishing wink.gif ) I just hate doing Research. rolleyes.gif But I will keep you all informed.

Until the next report, Happy Fishing.
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 23-Apr-2006, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Well, I did it. I am a janeymae's "cabin". I went out for a while each of the last 2 days. Water is high with spring runoff, but not muddy. Yesterday afternoon, I caught a cute little German Brown: 18 " and about 3 pounds. I used a worm on a hook. biggrin.gif

We had it with tarragon and scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning. It was totally delicious. Sigh. I have to head back tomorrow. It was a glorious stay.
Shortly after my lone catch yesterday, I saw an osprey take a small trout about 50 yards from me.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 25-Apr-2006, 01:17 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

A CUTE LITTLE GERMAN BROWN OF 18 INCHES blink.gif

If that is what you call little, what do you call BIG???

Up at Janey's Cabin to boot. Well all I can say is that I hope you had a good time and that the Trout tasted good. tongue.gif

My only question is, was you using an Ultralight outfit?
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 29-Apr-2006, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Yes, 18 inches is a "small keeper" there. biggrin.gif Big is over 20 inches.
Yes, the fish was delicious. thumbs_up.gif
Yes, I was using an ultralite with 8# spider line.
Yes, I want to go back to Janey Mae's place.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 04-May-2006, 11:30 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

If you think that 8#, Spider Wire to boot, is ultralight then what do you call heavy??? unsure.gif

My ultralights I use either 2# or 4# and only will I use the 4# when I feel a Big one is near. I always carry two spools when I use it.

But I am already starting to miss my Flyfishing. I have been going out to our pond at our Caverns and picking up a Largemouth Bass or a Big Bluegill. It is getting late in the season for me to go out after Trout. sad.gif I am hoping next year to get out more than twice like I did last year.

So how long was you able to stay??? And the Big question is, when are you going back.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]