Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
252,683 Gold!

Background: The Maclachlans are of ancient origin and are said to descend from the 5th century Ulster Royal family of O'Neill. Aedh, a grandson of the King Flaithbertach married a Scottish princess who was heiress of Cowal and Knapdale. His descendant, Lachlan Mor gave his name to the clan. In 1292 King John Balliol erected Argyll into a sheriffdom, and Gillescop Maclachlan was named as one of the twelve barons of whose lands it was composed. His son supported Robert the Bruce and attended the Kings first parliament at St. Andrews in 1308. The Maclachlans also supported the Celtic church, because of Saint Columba's connection also with the O'Neill royal line. The Maclachlans prospered through their connection with the Campbells, through alliances and marriages, but feuded with the Lamonts, their neighbours in Cowal, supposedly being involved in their massacre by the Campbells in 1646. In 1680 the Maclachlan of that Ilk had his lands of Strathlachlan made into a barony and despite the distance of a few miles from the Campbell seat managed to retain its independence. The Maclachlans freedom of action continued as they loyally supported the Stewarts throughout their troubled years. They were probably at Killiecrankie in 1689 and Lachlan Maclachlan was with Mar at Perth in 1715. His son, Lachlan, the 17th chief was killed by a cannonball at the battle of Culloden in 1745 where he was acting as Prince Charles Edward Stewart's A.D.C. His son, only a young child, was also in the camp at Culloden and was killed by a chance shot. After Culloden, Castle Lachlan was ruined by a bombardment from the sea, but the estates were returned to the 18th chief by the help of the Duke of Argyll in 1749 and this remains today the seat of the Clan Chieftainess, Marjorie Maclachlan of Maclachlan.

Variations: Eunson, Ewan, Ewen, Ewenson, Ewing, Gilchrist, Lachie, Lachlan, Lauchlan, MacCune, MacEwan, MacEwen, MacGilchrist, MacKeon, MacKeown, MacKewan, MacKewn, MacKuen, MacLachlan, MacLaghlan, MacLaughlan, MacLune, MacOunn.

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=112

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]