> Trad Or Rock?, Which do you perfer?
Tarani 
Posted: 21-Aug-2003, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

female

There are so many types of Irish music out there now, which do you perfer: Celtic Traditional or Celtic Rock? Why? Ever heard Celtic Blues?
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 21-Aug-2003, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I'd have to say both. I like hearing new stuff, but I also like hearing "Scotland The Brave" and "Whiskey in the Jar".

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 21-Aug-2003, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

I prefer to hear traditional Celtic reels and jigs. With that said...
If it wasn't for the Celtic Rock bands, we would not be doing the business we are!!!
cool.gif
I don't mind going to Irish Pubs with traditional music, but going and acting-up with the Celtic Rock bands is unparalelled!!! The Hooligans, Blackthorn, The Real McKenzies, Wicked Tinkers, Stone Soup, The Dicey Riley Band, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, The Pubcrawlers, Bogside Rogues... all are friends of ours who really know how to carry on the Celtic music tradition through their own ways.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 22-Aug-2003, 05:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,871 Gold!

I like both. Depends on the mood I am in. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
barddas 
  Posted: 22-Aug-2003, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I like both. That being said, I would sometimes love to be able to do 100% trad. in my group. But, with there only being 2 of us...( that is impossible) it has morfed into a weird not 100% trad, not quite "rock" ( no distortion) . But VERY up beat. We do the old standards "BLACK VELVET BAND", I'll Tell me Ma"... and do the heavier "Follow me up to Carlow", or "The night that Paddy Murphy died".... I have noticed that the 100% Trad is nice, but people grow tired of it fairly quickly in pubs. The focus is not totally on whoever is playing. But, if you kick things up and drive it hard and fast 90% of the night. You'll have them up dancing all night. And that becomes a real PARTY! wink.gif thumbs_up.gif

I have seen a Celtic Blues group locally THE FLOCK. They are very good! But, with it having that slow blues drive, again I have seen people lose interest. It's great to listen to. But, if I'm going somewhere to listen to a group I want to be entertained. And that is my mindset when I play out. What would I think is fun, and keep me staying until the pub closes? So far, everyone at the live shows has agreed with what I think is fun. smile.gif

I've only been playing Celtic music a little over 2 years. I've been listening for years and years. But, my musical back round is Heavy metal and Classical. So I guess that's why I want to kick everything into 5th gear....LOL!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by barddas on 22-Aug-2003, 08:30 AM

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 22-Aug-2003, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

There is an old Celtic Blues group called Pentangle. Good group. Some may find them a bit odd. If I remeber the liner notes, they were out late 69's to mid 70's. You can find there stuff on Shanachie records web site.

here is a link to a web page about them

http://www.jacquimcshee.co.uk/

Here is Shanachies

www.shanachie.com

This post has been edited by barddas on 22-Aug-2003, 08:51 AM
PMEmail Poster                
Cailiosa 
Posted: 24-Sep-2003, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

I like a little bit of both. If I'm studying, I stick to traditional, but if I'm cleaning the dorm room up (on the odd and rare occassion that that happens) or if my roommates and I decide to have a little dance party in our rooms, I break out the rock.
It blows me away how popular both styles of music have become here lately. I've had friends that I would never have thought would have even heard of any Celtic music period tell me they love that style of music and I saw a music video for Dropkick Murphys the other day on CNT (College Network Television), which is like MTV. Now if I could just get the music store here in my hole-in-the-wall town to carry a decent supply of Celtic cds . . .
Jen

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
ranger 
Posted: 24-Sep-2003, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

Being that I didn't grow up with it, I prefer to hear the rock side. But I am listening more and more to the traditional, especially through this website. And to quote Cailiosa, there is not alot of Celtic tradition and culture around this area. I have to get most of it off of this site. We had a store in the local mall at one time that carried some Celtic music, but of course they closed it down after I bought the first two CD's. (Both Steve McDonald).

--------------------
"...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

'The Lord of the Rings' - Book one
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Nobody around where I live carries celtic c.ds, rock or traditional.. Although a lot of my friends like this type of music and a store could earn a lot of money selling those c.ds here, but no one had taken the clue. I prefer traditional, mainly, at times though I can prefer rock....
It almost always depends on the mood I'm in.. as macfive said

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I like classic music and traditional pubs type that is loud and fast and I like the Celtic Rock but I'm not to fond of those irish tenors and Lancelot and Guenivere stuff. I'm sure Heather Dale is a wonderful girl I just feel like she wishes she was back in the middle ages.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 02-Apr-2004, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I like both =)
Celtic Rock is great for kick **** partying, and keeping up the "I'l do it *MY* way" type mood, traditional works wonders pretty much anywhere else, while both do great for that middle ground.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
goaltndr 
Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Chicago, IL, USA

male

I like traditional tunes, especially if it has pipes. But some of the Celtic Rock stuff really sounds great. I'd never imagined hearing bagpipes along with heavy rock drums and electric guitar but it can really be pulled off well!

It gets me pumped up to go out and play hockey. Of course, the teammates hate it. Guess it may have to be in your blood.

Try listening to OFFKILTER. www.offkilter.net (I think). I guess they play at Epcot Center at Disney World, FLA. in the Canadian Pavilian year round. Friends that traveled there told me about them and I found one of their CD's at a highland games. I wish they were on highlander radio.

--------------------
"Think On"
Clan Maclellan
PMEmail Poster               
runbmg 
  Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAsh

male

Celtic Folk Punk!!!!

Punks doing trad music!

www.shitenonions.com beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Celtic Folk Punk at www.shitenonions.com
PMEmail Poster               
mingkee 
Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I think I am more open on style
like traditional (the Chieftains, the Tannahill Weavers, Dougie MacLean)
like rock style (Seven nations, The Wolfstone, earlier time U2)
like new age (Clannad, Enya, Sinead O'Connor, Ronan Hardiman)
like new style (Loreena McKennitt, Anuna, Steve McDonald)
no matter from Scotland, Ireland, England, USA, Canada, Australia/New Zealand

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 08-Apr-2004, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I like it all! To quote BB King,"There are 2 kinds of music, the good kind and the bad kind, I like the good kind."

I started playing Celtic music in 1999 and started doing some traditional pieces in 2000. The more that I get into the traditional the more I like it, but I usually like to play it in a non-traditional way. I listen to a lot of Bluegrass also which has it's roots in Celtic music.

We coined the term Neo-Celtic for our band when we started our website in 1999 and have since defined that in a broader sense as music done by Celtic people i.e. The Cranberries, U-2, The Corrs, Van Morrison. I realize that many who would fall into this catagory do not necesarily Celtic sounding, yet that is how we define the term. I did see Nazareth (from Scotland) do an interesting rendition of Hair of the Dog with Dan McCafferty playing the Scottish national anthem during the Bag pipe break. It was so cool that I suggested to their manager that it might behoove them to explore the possibility of exploiting their nationality and do more stuff like that.

My background is in Folk and Gothic as a musician previous to starting the Neo-Celtic thing. We have since redefined what we personally do as Celtic-Fusion. We now fuse traditional Celtic and Modern Pop sounds. A good example of how we do that would be either our original song Dreams or the 12th century Celtic piece that we do A Soulin. Plus we now can perform about 24 traditional Celtic pieces.

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]