flora 
Posted: 06-Dec-2008, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Camac this is beautiful. I have seen the mountains with the quiet snow falling. I have found were a beaver has felled trees but I cannot find the beaver or the dam. I have never ice skated or seen a lake or river frozen. Do people not gather anymore at a frozen lake to skate? Is it more the indoor arena type now? And if I may, why would you not see this again?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 06-Dec-2008, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Great tribute to our canadian winters Camac.

Yes I wonder, but winter last was one that I haven't seen for over 35 years at least where we were able to build tunnels in the snow in front of our house.
And so cold that we were not afraid to skate on lakes. I too thought that I would never see a winter like the ones I knew younger.

But even so here near our home every year husband and I go down to the River where they have taken out the snow and can skates on it for miles on end...a bit similar to the one on the Rideau Canal actually and so much fun.For it is as you describe in your poem...there are some logs where you can just sit and relax and inside where you can go get some hot cocoa or coffee and after go back out on the ice again.

Thank you for your poem.

LOA smile.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 06-Dec-2008, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (flora @ 06-Dec-2008, 01:51 PM)
Camac this is beautiful.  I have seen the mountains with the quiet snow falling.  I have found were a beaver has felled trees but I cannot find the beaver or the dam.  I have never ice skated or seen a lake or river frozen.  Do people not gather anymore at a frozen lake to skate?  Is it more the indoor arena type now?  And if I may, why would you not see this again?

Flora

Flora;

What my poems describes is mainly rural Canada. When you live in urban sprawl it kind of hard to see these scenes. As I don't own a car anymore its hard to get out of town without asking someone to take you. People in small towns still do all the things I wrote about and if you live in Ottawa (our Capital) there is the Rideau Canal the worlds longest skating rink. LOA is also fortunate that she lives in rural Quebec and the river near her town freezes over so people can go skating as it was meant to be. There is also the fact that I can't skate anymore as my legs won't take the strain. I miss it. I'll tell you a story of when I was a kid in New Toronto a small suburb west of Toronto. We lived across the street from Gilbeys Gin, Distillery and every winter the night maintenance man would flood the area just in side the back gate and make a rink for all the kids in the neighbourghood. We loved it and had a ball but the mothers didn't like it cause they couldn't get us to go home for supper or to go to bed as we were playing hockey all the time. After a few years someome complained to the company and the rink was closed down and the gate locked. While it was there though we were the luckiest kids in town. Believe it or not also the healthiest cause we got fewer colds that most other kids. I'm a small town kid at heart and when I got out of the Army we lived in a small town 60 miles north of Toronto, Orangeville. It was great and my youngest was born there. Alas it was just to expensive even in those day traveling to Toronto to work so we moved back down to the suburbs.

Camac

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]