DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 03:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

I need some advice....bad! This is going to be long so bear with me here, please?

I wrote a few months back about having purchased an Old English Sheepdog (OES) pup at 9 weeks of age. We have raised Shelties for over 25 years, but my hubby has always wanted an OES.

Well Connor is 8 months old now. He is very intelligent and has caught on to commands and house training much faster than any of my Shelties ever had. He can be extremely sweet, very protective, what the doggie world refers to as "a velcro dog" meaning he wants to be right next to his owners at all times. He was the best student in puppy school.

He is also extremely energetic, bores easily, can be very destructive, a mouther, biter and jumper. I have never been able to break the latter bad behavior due to his willfulness and mine and hubby's lack of inconsistency.

Connor wants to be the alpha dog in the home. My male Sheltie really loves playing with him, but can stand his own when comes to putting Connor in his place. My female Sheltie is 12-1/2 and is getting arthritis. She can be sleeping comfortably somewhere and out of the blue, Connor will go after her and turn her over on her back....and then the fight starts. There are only a few minor bite marks, but I am worrying those are too many.

Plus, when I am out in the yard doing cleanup, he loves to run and jump on me, sometimes knocking me down and ripping my clothes from his teeth. Keep in mind at 8 months he is only 60 lbs and will grow larger at 80-100 lbs. I already have a very bad back and he is a lot to handle. Since I have had him I have had cuts and bruises all over me from his mouthing. supposed play biting and rough play.

Well tonight's event is what concerned me. After tons of exercise from us tonight, he was still hyper!!! I gave him a rawhide bone to knaw on for his teeth and jaw and hyperactivity. I don't like my dogs to eat the rawhide, just knaw on it enough to work gums and teeth. When I saw that Connor OES was getting ready to eat a big portion of the rawhide, I tried to take it away from him. Something I have done tons of times with my Shelties. Well Connor turned around and bit me hard enough in the hand to draw lots of blood.

I am beginning to wonder if this is the right breed for us. Hubby wants to work with him more. It would break my heart as well to give Connor up, but with his obsession with food and his bones, I fear this form of aggression could escalate.

I have the OES Rescue wanting this pup bad as she says she can assess him, can work with him best at the age he is now to get him into the right home and she doesn't personally feel he is in the right home with us. After my big bite tonight, I am beginner to wonder. Hubby says it is my fault for having taking the bone out of the dog's mouth....I disagree!

Hubby wants to buy a bicycle and ride and run the dog till the dogs wears out and feels that will cure a lot of his problems.

Any of you dog experts out there want to weigh in as to what I should do?

I am very upset right now.

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

That is such a tough call, now that you have grown so fond of him. But if you want to have him with you, you may need professional obedience intervention. Some time will come, if he does not have that very strong and methodically installed mental "leash," that 100 pounds worth of him will be outside your ability to control. The little dogs can't be expected to socialize him. Of course, as long as he's a pup he is going to need a huge amount of opportunity to get exercise and other interesting things to do, or he's make his own entertainment.

I wish you luck. I'm sure he's a terrific dog.
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Stormeil! Connor is indeed a terrific dog. So loveable, sweet, but just don't mess with his food or bones. It is indeed a tough call, especially when I have the OES saying I am making a huge mistake by keeping him and that she can do a better job training him than me!! My husband is like...naught...as he feels he can do just as well and is determined to do so. After all he wanted this breed, which is highly favored by many.

Thinking it over, I may have provoked the whole bite thing cause he was extremely hyper and so into chewing his bone...but so have been my Shelties and I have never been bitten by them! But we're dealing with a puppy here who is needing to learn many manners. I know how to deal with Shelties. I think I just need to learn how to deal with the OES dog at this time. Perhaps take him back to training for difficult behavior issues?

When I scolded Conner for biting me and told him to drop his bone for me to have, he did do so. So I think there is going to take a lot more work there than I ever anticipated.

When I feed all three, I always do so in alpha order, my 12-1/2 year old female Sheltie, then the 3 year old male Sheltie and then Connor (the moose). I think that ticks him off as well as he wants to be alpha dog of us all! LOL

Thanks again. I appreciate it!
Patch 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (DesertRose @ 19-Apr-2010, 04:41 AM)
I need some advice....bad! This is going to be long so bear with me here, please?

It sounds like your pup has a strong pack instinct and a desire to be the Alpha dog. All that you describe goes on within the wild pack. I had those problems with my dog and he was two years old when I got him.

When I was ready to give him up I talked with my brother (a Vet) and he told me I had to act like the alpha animal. It took about 6 months but he finally learned. Mostly it was signals, downward pressure on the shoulders forcing him to lay down, grasping his muzzle and exerting downward pressure till he would roll onto his back, then putting my hand on his throat (gently) as other pack animals would in the wild to show their dominance. Your other dogs will have to find their place in the pack but you must be the alpha. You will probably then find that you have the smartest dog you have ever owned. I know I did.

Good luck with your pup.

My dog is over 8 now and he just had his yearly shots and checkup. My brother told me I should start thinking about training a replacement to carry on his guard dog capabilities. I am looking at a large breed now myself.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Patch! I have never owned a large breed in my life! so this is all a new experience for me. For the most part, Connor is the sweetest dog ever, but he has his alpha moments like I described earlier. Hubby and I are determined to work with him and get him to be one of the pack and not pack leader as he so much would like.

I appreciate one and everyone's comments and help. The last thing I want to do is get rid of this dog, but at times it is hard not to entertain that idea. I need patience, guidance and help. I have been told over and over that this breed will be the best I have ever had if I train him right. Sadly, we have not done a very good job his first 8 months of life.

Thanks all!
Patch 
Posted: 19-Apr-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (DesertRose @ 19-Apr-2010, 03:50 PM)
Thanks Patch! I have never owned a large breed in my life! so this is all a new experience for me. For the most part, Connor is the sweetest dog ever, but he has his alpha moments like I described earlier. Hubby and I are determined to work with him and get him to be one of the pack and not pack leader as he so much would like.

I appreciate one and everyone's comments and help. The last thing I want to do is get rid of this dog, but at times it is hard not to entertain that idea. I need patience, guidance and help. I have been told over and over that this breed will be the best I have ever had if I train him right. Sadly, we have not done a very good job his first 8 months of life.

Thanks all!

We can teach dogs to do "tricks" because of our superior human intellect but to make a dog part of the pack, or our home environments, you have to "become" the alpha dog. In all my years, I had trained dogs to do tricks. I could not believe how well this worked.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt