Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mayberry?
RavenWing 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I would rather not live in Mayberry. That is not my idea of a utopian society.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Nov 4 2003, 01:17 PM)

Ravenwing,

Then is your idea of a Utopian Society? It make me wonder about people who doesn't want a quiet and peaceful life.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

I would like a peaceful life, but not in a Mayberry type setting. I equate Mayberry with the closed-minded attitude my grandparents have about those who are different.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

If being Closed minded the Requirement for being "Mayberry" then I would have to admit that we are not.

Everyone here is different in his or her own ways, I do not now if any of the even go to the same Church. We don't care. Just as long as you don't hurt you neighbors. Then we do frown upon that.
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Nov 4 2003, 02:12 PM)
In my little corner of "Mayberry". If someone is in need or is ill. We just pitch in and help that Person/Family out anyway we can. Sometimes it is just mowing their yard for them if they are unable to, help work on the House, plus countless number of small thing we do.

I believe it was Elspeth, who mentioned about the Front Porch attitude. Just about all of us has a Front porch in wich we sit and the neighbors who are out for their evening walks usually stop by just to chat. It makes it kind of nice.

So if people think that I am living in a Fairy Land, then so be it. And when the next Deputy swings through the town. I will just remember of this Fairly Land that I live in and just wave and smile.

Richard you are one of the few that get to live the dream.
I live in a fairly large city, about 15 minutes from downtown. My street is nice, the neighbors are as well. It's nice to see people waving to each other. I hadn't seen it such a long time. Aside from driving out to my Gparents farm and everyone waves. No matter what they are doing.
But it is a large city mentality for the most part. Almost everyone is in a hurry to get somewhere faster, people are just rude, and the police don't really care unless someone gets murdered. If your car is broken into they pretty much say oh well..... and that is it.

But it is my city. It is where I live and play.... And I still have hope that some things will be corrected. As my generation starts having kids and becomes more involved with everyday political things... Cincinnati is a very conservative city. I hate that!!!! Mark Twain said that when the end of the world comes he wants to be in Cincinnati, because they are 20 yrs behind the times. And I hate to say that he was right, and it still is.
Don't get me wrong, it has it's good points too! ( Iknow we tend to focus on the negative) There are those that are trying..and I intend on voting for them today after work.

sorry about my rant

one day I'll have my farm in Tennessee....where it is slow paced and peaceful all the time... wink.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

I was just discussing this subject to a Neighbor who was walking by. She said she agreed with me about this being a "Mayberry" town. Once someone moves in, and that is few and far between, they never leave. The only time a House come available, is when the person living there has passed on. A few new homes pop up here and there but not many. I have seen the population climb from 56 to present 98.

And yes Barddas, I do count myself as one of the lucky ones.
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Nov 4 2003, 03:39 PM)

And yes Barddas, I do count myself as one of the lucky ones.

Good m'friend.

In a way it's a shame we are all so spread out over the globe.... It would be nice to have a highlander cookout wouldn't it.....

Cheers
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Nov 4 2003, 02:17 PM)

Just send me off to Waltons mountain. Not perfect, but close.... wink.gif thumbs_up.gif

sorry , I just had to talk about Waltons mountain again.... LOL!!!!!! laugh.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                
3Ravens 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Yeah, a cookout, or a weekend, or something. I'd love to see everybody face to face!

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

That would be interesting
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Richard makes a good point. His town is 98 people. I live in one of 17,000 and we still don't have all that much crime. The news is always good things the community is doing for others or fundraisers etc. I think that once you get to a certain number of people per area, the idiots increase dramatically and we have to lose our utopia. Why do we have them and how do we change them may be the question.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Nov 4 2003, 04:40 PM)
That would be interesting

to say the least m'dear wink.gif

PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

That reminds me of the town I grew up near. There have only been 2 murder cases in 12 or so years.

This last one was a 24hr convenience store robbery, and the one 12 years before that was a man killing a fellow who, along with his brothers, tortured the guy for years, and eventually killed his dog. So he went nuts and took the guy out.

I'd say that's a pretty good record for a fairly large University town.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (barddas @ Nov 4 2003, 02:23 PM)
Mark Twain said that when the end of the world comes he wants to be in Cincinnati, because they are 20 yrs behind the times.

Oh, that is so funny! biggrin.gif Gotta love Twain.

And I want Waltons Mountain too! When I was a new mother I found myself so often thinking.... now, what would Olivia or Grandpa Walton do. Corny, sure, but it worked for me! smile.gif

I like the cookout idea. Who's offering their backyard?

And I wonder what the size is where it becomes 'big city'? We are a city of about 55,000 adjacent to a city of 175,000, and yet we still have, if not a small town feel, a suburban one where crime is not prevelant.

I keep coming back to a study we learned of in college where rats were placed in a cage. When there were only a few, they lived peaceably. But when one too many was shoved in there, they began to turn on each other violently -maiming and even killing one another. That is how I think of cities. Just too many people too close. Then again, I want to live on Walton's Mountain or the equilivant in PA so I'm prejudiced.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I've got a back yard. biggrin.gif

I can even make a bonfire to fight the -22* (-7.6*F) temperatures we're getting tonight.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]