> Richard Sharpe, Does anyone else watch the Sharpe movies
faolin 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Just curious, but I was wondering how many people watch the Sharpe series. I started a couple of months ago after coming across it on the History channel (Fridays at 9pm EST, at least in Toronto) while I was sick one night. They are set around the time of the Napoleonic wars, and Sean Bean (I swear that all my sister drools everytime he says a single word) stars as Richard Sharpe. Here's a short blurb I found about the films: Richard Sharpe is a maverick British officer who rises through the ranks in Wellingtons Army, initially after saving Wellingtons life. His subsequent promotions are due to his daring and courageous exploits.The Sharpe Series is set during the 19th Century Napoleonic Peninsular wars, in the midst of the desperate battles and missions of these conflicts. There are 14 in all and highly entertaining (though very underfunded), and I recommend them to you all biggrin.gif

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Is this Dulls brother?

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Eamon 
Posted: 31-May-2004, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Sharpe is great. I love the fact that Cornwell is still turning out Sharpe novels, though he keeps screwing up my bookcase order. His last few books have been at the start of the series, so trying to read them in order can be a challenge. The movies are great, in a BBC sort of way ( and by that, I mean 'financially challenged')

And you have to love the theme song...

note.gif "There's forty shillings on the drum
To those who volunteer to come,
To 'list and fight the foe today
Over the Hills and far away.

(chorus)
O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away. " note.gif

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 31-May-2004, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Sounds like Horneblower (sp?) with out the water.. I will look for it and TIVO king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
faolin 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Peckery, the sharpe series is definitely in that same kind of genre. I know when we first came across it, it was our positive experience with the A&E Hornblower series that caused us to watch the entire movie, and from that point on we were hooked!
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 01-Jun-2004, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

thanks for the tip faolin!!

I will be on the watch for this show also.

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Eamon 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (peckery @ 31-May-2004, 09:53 AM)
Sounds like Horneblower (sp?) with out the water.. I will look for it and TIVO king.gif

Not a bad analogy Peck! The budget is about the same...you can really tell with the "Large Scale Battles" the BBC tries to cover the battlefield in smoke so you don't notice the fact that there only 60 soldiers (or 2 or 3 ship models in the Hornblower series). Sharpe's right hand man is a surly Irishman (think of my Avatar from Braveheart, Stephen, with a rifle instead of a broadsword). You can get the DVD's over here, but finding them on Cable can be a bit difficult.

Eamon
PMEmail Poster               
faolin 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

You can buy the DVDs in North America, but be warned; the boxed set of all 14 costs upward of $350 jawdrop.gif . The individual episodes are also for sale, and they are about $25-30 (I would recommend Sharpes Company or Sharpes Eagle). Most rental stores don't carry them, and they tend to give you blank, "what planet do you come from" looks if you ask. If you are to excited to wait until they are on the TV, I would suggest alternative methods . You definitely have to watch a couple of them to really get into it, so what ever you do don't give up after the first!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

So this series is good? Never heard of it. I did buy the Hornblower series and have enjoyed watching it immensely.
PMEmail Poster               
faolin 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ 02-Jun-2004, 10:30 PM)
So this series is good? Never heard of it. I did buy the Hornblower series and have enjoyed watching it immensely.

The series itself is a lot of fun, but what really makes it standout is Sean Bean. He did this while he was a relative unknown, so he is quite young and definitely in his prime. if you liked Hornblower, I think you will like this.

Random Sharpe Fact: apparently after doing Sharpe, Sean Bean did a series of commercials which hinged on him saying something along the lines of "that's sharp" or "how sharp", referring of course to the character he played. This tradition is even carried on into the Lord of the Rings, when Sean Bean as Boromir cuts his hand on Narsil and mutters "still sharpe[e]"

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]