Posted: 26-Jan-2006, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

I think all the Maritime Provinces, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland, should be considered the 8th Celtic nation. Just because all the cultures there, the Scotts, the Welsh, the Irish, the Bretons, and the Acadians all come from one of the 7 nations.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 26-Jan-2006, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

One of each Celtic nations is what I ment.
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 13-Feb-2006, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Would it be, though? No Celt actually stepped foot on American soil (that we know of). We are descendants of the Celts, but not Celts ourselves.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 14-Feb-2006, 06:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 13-Feb-2006, 01:28 PM)
Would it be, though? No Celt actually stepped foot on American soil (that we know of). We are descendants of the Celts, but not Celts ourselves.

Well yes. You're right however it seems that the maritimes have held onto the Celtic pride more so then anywhere else. One example is the Gaelic college at St. Anns in Cape Breton. It's the only place in the Western Hemisphere that teaches the language. I could name more but being an old Scotian yourself I'm sure you know. Actually I know a guy who's a fellow bagpiper, who use to pipe for FDNY, who actually thought the Maritimes were the 8th nation when I mentioned the idea to him.
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 14-Feb-2006, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Some sort of recognition as an off site haven for celtic culture would be nice. But to call it the 8th Celtic Nation would diminish the meaning of the seven true nations.

It's like calling myself Scottish, when I've never been to Scotland, let alone come from there. I don't, because that diminishes the meaning of a true Scot making the same claim. I'm a Canadian. A New Scot, perhaps. See what I mean?

I do understand where you're coming from, though. The truth is, the Maritimes are (were) Mi'Kmaq and Maliseet nations. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 14-Feb-2006, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 14-Feb-2006, 05:31 PM)
Some sort of recognition as an off site haven for celtic culture would be nice. But to call it the 8th Celtic Nation would diminish the meaning of the seven true nations.

It's like calling myself Scottish, when I've never been to Scotland, let alone come from there. I don't, because that diminishes the meaning of a true Scot making the same claim. I'm a Canadian. A New Scot, perhaps. See what I mean?

I do understand where you're coming from, though. The truth is, the Maritimes are (were) Mi'Kmaq and Maliseet nations. wink.gif

Funny you mention the Mi'Kmaq, did you know that down here in Florida we have an organization called the New World Celts. I'm not a member but my Pipe major is. They honor the American Indians as Celts since a lot of them intermarried with true Celts. Check it out at www.newworldcelts.org. It's interesting.
so how about "The New Nation" instead of the "8th nation.
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 15-Feb-2006, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Nova Scotian @ 14-Feb-2006, 06:25 PM)
So how about "The New Nation" instead of the "8th nation.

That I would go for. biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 26-Feb-2006, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

have you ever been to p.e.i.?they've got a pipers college in summerside

now there is another place that's got that celt history....and what about cape breton,holy man but they can boast scots roots not just being a new scot/canadian

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 28-Feb-2006, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (sisterknight @ 26-Feb-2006, 08:30 PM)
have you ever been to p.e.i.?they've got a pipers college in summerside

now there is another place that's got that celt history....and what about cape breton,holy man but they can boast scots roots not just being a new scot/canadian

I've been to both places. Love them both. I spend a few weeks every summer in Nova Scotia
PMEmail Poster                
sisterknight 
Posted: 28-Feb-2006, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

that's not all that far from where i spend my extra time...new brunswick!!!(my 2nd home)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Mar-2006, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Substitute Cape Breton with the Nova Scotian Highlands, as the Eastern mainland is very rich in in Celtic culture. The Scots actually landed in Pictou County, which is a good ways West on the North Shore. It is believed the first Europeans to set up camp in Cape Breton were, hold onto your hats wink.gif , the Bretons, who may have been fishing in the area even before Cabot made his first attempt at mapping the Southeastern coast of the island.
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 01-Mar-2006, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 01-Mar-2006, 01:24 PM)
Substitute Cape Breton with the Nova Scotian Highlands, as the Eastern mainland is very rich in in Celtic culture. The Scots actually landed in Pictou County, which is a good ways West on the North Shore. It is believed the first Europeans to set up camp in Cape Breton were, hold onto your hats wink.gif , the Bretons, who may have been fishing in the area even before Cabot made his first attempt at mapping the Southeastern coast of the island.

Actually, you are right about the Bretons. They are ancestors of the Cajuns in Louisanna, which I'm quite certain you all ready knew. I've been to some of the Acadian festivals and they are out and out Celtic in style. In all of the Maritimes, I think Cape Breton probably stands out the most as the "New Celtic Nation".
Pictou and all of the North Nova Scotia shore is very Scotish. I'd say just about everyone I've met from there is either Irish or Scott. A fellow firefighter and friend of mine my down here in the realm of Florida grew up in New Glascow.

Hey, before I forget, get the newest issue of National Geograph. There's an excellent article on the Celtic Nations.
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Mar-2006, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Nova Scotian @ 01-Mar-2006, 12:48 PM)
Actually, you are right about the Bretons. They are ancestors of the Cajuns in Louisanna, which I'm quite certain you all ready knew. I've been to some of the Acadian festivals and they are out and out Celtic in style. In all of the Maritimes, I think Cape Breton probably stands out the most as the "New Celtic Nation".
Pictou and all of the North Nova Scotia shore is very Scotish. I'd say just about everyone I've met from there is either Irish or Scott. A fellow firefighter and friend of mine my down here in the realm of Florida grew up in New Glascow.

Hey, before I forget, get the newest issue of National Geograph. There's an excellent article on the Celtic Nations.

You are right on every single account, except for one. The Bretons were not the Acadians (Cajuns are descended from Acadians, not Acadians themselves). They were the (next to expatriated) French. And I say expatriated, because they were first and foremost Acadians. Their allegance changed every decade, or less, from French to English (so say the Govs of the time, less the people themselves).

smile.gif Although the Bretons were fishing in Cape Breton, as well as the Canso area, they never really made any permanent settlments.

And thanks for the NG tip. smile.gif

beer_mug.gif Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0Ash0Tree0 
Posted: 09-Feb-2008, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 13-Feb-2006, 01:28 PM)

I was born in Canada but consider myself a Celt and NOT a Canadian. The First Nations are Canadian the rest of us are just displaced. And being decended from Celts makes you a Celt.

--------------------
Many times man lives and dies
Between his two eternities,
That of race and that of soul
And ancient Ireland knew it all.

" To a Scot, the past clings like sand to wet feet,
and is carried about as a burden.
The many ghosts are always a part of them, inescapable."
Geddes MacGregor

Hope, fear, false-joy, and trouble,
Are these four winds which daily toss this bubble,
His breath’s a vapour, and his life’s a span;
Tis glorious misery to be born a man.
~ from a Cornish gravestone

"Now I perceive the devil understands Welsh.”
"God defend me from that Welsh fairy,
Lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!”
William Shakespeare quotes

"Onen hag Oll", One and All (Cornwall's motto)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Feb-2008, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (0Ash0Tree0 @ 09-Feb-2008, 01:23 PM)
I was born in Canada but consider myself a Celt and NOT a Canadian. The First Nations are Canadian the rest of us are just displaced. And being decended from Celts makes you a Celt.

Good point. It all remains a matter of perception, though. I personally never pretend to be a Scott, or an Englishman, since I've never been to either of these homelands. I was born here and have never had any other home, so I'm pure Canadian. My lineage is a different story, as are my influences. smile.gif

I'm glad to see you getting involved so early on. Keep on posting, please.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]