Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Loss Of A Legend: Tommy Makem 1932-2007, Will ye go "laddie" go....
Senara 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

DOVER, N.H. -- Mourners said farewell yesterday to Irish singer and storyteller Tommy Makem, whose signature songs have become standard repertoire for folk singers around the world, with a final round of applause as his casket was brought out of church.

The two-hour funeral Mass began with the traditional Irish song "Minstrel Boy" and ended with Makem's old friend and musical partner Liam Clancy singing "The Bard of Armagh."

Speakers recalled Makem, known as the modern-day Bard of Armagh, for his brilliance as a performer, his rich baritone voice, and his humility. Even with his success, he remained a modest family man who would take his evening stroll and regularly attend St. Mary Church, said the Rev. Fritz J. Cerullo.

"He knew who he was and, more importantly, where he came from," Cerullo said. "Tommy was the salt of the earth."

Makem, 74, died Aug. 1 after a long bout with lung cancer. He emigrated from County Armagh in the late 1950s and achieved American and worldwide stardom by spinning tales of his native land.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hamps...bard_of_armagh/

We lost a legend in the celtic music realm this month. I only heard about it yesterday and was surprised there wasn't a thread already mentioning his passing. I have seen him perform several times in Milwaukee and have always been warmed by his music and crowd banter, to have met him personally would have probably just blown my socks off!

The full article from above can be found on the website for the Boston Globe. There is a Legacy guestbook set up for him as well.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Sorry got the birth year wrong I think...will have to find some way to fix it....
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 10-Aug-2007, 10:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

itsmewendylee posted one in the celtic music section. I also posted some videos there from youtubeand I think there may be some mention in the gathering place It's good to have aposting area with a titlel that mentions names and dates though. Maybe a whole section where we could post names of those who have gone before and their contributions. Ancestral pioneers of Celtic Music?

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted: 31-Aug-2007, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

So sorry about the loss of a great talent.

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]