> I Really Like The Music But...
Remise 
Posted: 09-Feb-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

male

Half the time, the "Celtic" music I hear on this station isn't. For example I just heard what sounded a lot like either something Tibetan, or Mongolian throat music. I hear bluegrass, Eastern European stuff, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I love it all, but I am not quite clear who defines "Celtic."

As I was typing this, a song entitled, "Asian Flower" began. I rest my case, I suppose....

B.C. Milligan
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 09-Feb-2012, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Hey Remise! Welcome to Celtic Radio.

There are a wide variety of stations that are promoted through Celtic Radio. There are various kinds of music that are either "totally" Celtic and some that trace their roots to Celtic.

My suggestion would be to take a look at all the music available on the Requests page. Some would be classified as Celtic Rock (which is not my personal favorite, but it is the favorite genre of many others). There is a good dose of Trad ( which is absolutely my personal favorite) and a host of others.

Give it some time and listen to a wide variety of the channels available and see what you find. I'll bet you find music that fits right into the categories you like. Some of the groups that I personally enjoy that I think safely fit into the Celtic Trad mode are Altan, Lunasa, Old Blind Dogs, Teada, Solas, Beoga, Bua, Cherish the Ladies, Jim Malcolm, Grada and a host of others.

Hope you'll stick around and see what all we have. And there are new CD's that are constantly being added to the mix. I know, because I am preparing to send some in that I think will fit nicely into what we are trying to do here.

Welcome aboard and have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 09-Feb-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,706 Gold!

If you are looking for a web radio that sticks strictly by the book, then Celtic Radio may not be the best place for that. We like to mix it up and the musicians that contact us play a wide range of Celtic Music.

During our experiment we realized that there is tons of Celtic Music in South America, Spain, France, Eastern Europe and yes - even in Hong Kong. From Bagpipe Rap to tradtional tracks from the old great musicians. You will hear it all on here.

Let along Celtic inspired music like BlueGrass, Applachian and the bar house pub music!

We have a number of flavors of Celtic Music on Live365. Just click the listen now link to preview some of the channels.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Vixie 
Posted: 10-Feb-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: SW Mountain Desert

female

I think the problem that a lot of people have is in looking at "Celtic music" as just one type of genre; i.e., thinking it all has to be Trad (skirl o' the pipes, fiddles, whistles, bodhrán, etc.). If we think of Celtic music like rock music, with all types of sub-genres, then we broaden our vision of what can be called Celtic.

All music evolves as the cultures change. What we might consider as Celtic Trad nowadays certainly was not traditional in the early part of the 20th century! It would be like trying to compare Little Richard with Ozzy Osborne tongue.gif

I personally love all types of music and find that the Celtic genre has a plethora of choices for all sorts of tastes! And our own Celtic Radio certainly steps up to the plate to provide a sampling of every Celtic sub-genre available wink.gif

--------------------
Slàinte mhòr agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!
(Good health and every good blessing to you! -- Scots blessing)

Victoria Dunn, author writing under the pseudonym Ria MacAlister
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Remise 
Posted: 10-Feb-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

Thanks for your replies. I just want to make it clear that I love all the music I hear on this station, as world music is probably my favorite genre. I was just hoping for a bit more focus on Celtic Celtic music. Music from Eastern Europe, even if played by the Battlefield Band, or from China, even if played by The Dogs Among the Bushes, doesn't sound all that Celtic to me. But I still like it!

That's all. It's certainly not a big deal to me, and I will certainly keep listening!

B.C. Milligan
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 10-Feb-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (Remise @ 10-Feb-2012, 09:05 AM)
Thanks for your replies. I just want to make it clear that I love all the music I hear on this station, as world music is probably my favorite genre. I was just hoping for a bit more focus on Celtic Celtic music. Music from Eastern Europe, even if played by the Battlefield Band, or from China, even if played by The Dogs Among the Bushes, doesn't sound all that Celtic to me. But I still like it!

That's all. It's certainly not a big deal to me, and I will certainly keep listening!

B.C. Milligan

Totally understand, BC! Your words were not taken as a criticism at all. Glad to have you listening and hope to have you with us for a long time!

Again, welcome aboard!
danielrey 
Posted: 12-Feb-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (CelticRadio @ 09-Feb-2012, 09:47 PM)
(...) there is tons of Celtic Music in South America, Spain, France, Eastern Europe and yes - even in Hong Kong. (...)

I've seen bagpipe music from northern Spain being performed on television but it's a big surprise to find out that one can come across Celtic music down here in South America, since that's where I've lived all my life. I do seem to remember a TV documentary showing some young people in Argentina, maybe, whose ancestors were from somewhere in Keltic lands, playing some kind of traditional European music, which looked out of place, but I can't remember the details. That's further down, anyway, more like around the Falklands, whereas I'm not that down under, really, but more like almost stepping on the bellybutton or equator (barely four degrees to the north). Those would be transplants, so it wouldn't count as South American Celtic anything, strictly speaking. I don't know. I'm just inquiring.
PMEmail Poster               
heartsong 
Posted: 13-Feb-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Chattanooga, TN

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #68
53,102 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

The great thing about Celtic music is that it has spread from a small area and can now be found in just about every corner of the world. Celtic Radio is a great place to be exposed to all of the genre's new faces.
tjbren 
Posted: 13-Feb-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Minnesota, USA

male

I also hear many types of music influences. I enjoy it. Pure or not, I like the variety, especially the Celtic DANCE music. Its energy keeps my blood flowing.
PMEmail Poster               
togo 
Posted: 19-Feb-2012, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

I had my preconceived notions of Celtic music (yes, the traditional Irish songs) and then as I started a hobby of going to Irish/Celtic festivals and the Celtic rock genre jumped out at me.
I then became very interested in the music and found Celtic Radio and it really opened up the wide expansive range of the Celtic Music world to me. I have learned a lot and thoroughly enjoy the variety and history of the whole Celtic music experience.
Thanks Celtic radio!
jmparrish 
Posted: 20-Feb-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacAlder

female

When I first started listening to Celtic music, it was a lot of traditional psalms and intrumental pieces. Celtic rock came next, then the cross overs like Celtic Thunder came onto the scene. I like these radio stations a lot because of the variety smile.gif I listen to it whenever I am working at a computor. My roommate is even slowly starting to get interested in the music! (She's still on the dark side concerning bagpipes, but it's only a matter of time wink.gif )
PMEmail Poster               
tjbren 
Posted: 20-Feb-2012, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Minnesota, USA

male

That's the spirit! Bagpipes for EVERYONE...! Let's blow the top of this joint!
PMEmail Poster               
dbsangel 
Posted: 20-Feb-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Wisconsin

female

I was surprised when I started to really listen to the music how much of a variety there actually is. My daughter was thrilled that I'm "broadening my horizons" and not listening to only one or two groups anymore!

--------------------
Donna
PMEmail Poster               
surfersully13 
Posted: 09-Mar-2012, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Venice, FL USA

female

People from the Celtic nations (especially the Irish) have moved all over the world looking for work, a better life, marriage, etc. One thing that even the poorest could take with them when they left their homeland was music. I'm not surprized that Celtic influences are found in so many places & genres. I love the variety.

I'm with tjbren & jmparrish - BAGPIPES FOR EVERYONE
PMEmail Poster               
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 18-Mar-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Maybe we should have a way to learn the history of music. What is Celtic music? What is Celtic? As far as I understand Celtic is Irish, Scottish, Welsh, etc. Celtic even goes back to the Vikings. Appalchian music fits very much in Celtic as most of the people of Appalachia, encluding my family, trace their roots back to Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]