Posted: 24-Jan-2005, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Interesting that we're being so quiet about something that is such a part of life and such a wonderful artform. Honestly, I've got enough against me I doubt I'd ever be any good. However, just curious, what are some of the basic concepts of it. What are some of the simple things one should know if they wanted to start this style of dance?

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
catlynelizabeth 
Posted: 24-Jan-2005, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Boston

female

I guess the basics would be the steps and the shoes. Soft shoe which is done in a ghille(ballet type) shoe is usually fluid and light. THere are at least three different types of dance done in soft shoe, jig, reel, and slipjig. Each school does different steps and so there really isn't a basic step in jigs, reels, and slipjig. Hard shoe is done in shoes that are kinda tap like, they have a built up fiberclass tip and heel with which to make noise. The basic move in hard shoe is the treble, which is a brushing out and then in of the toe. One can do a treble reel, treble jig, and the hornpipe in hard shoe. When I started to learn Irish Dance I began with the jig, although this may also be varied from school to school. My school doesn't compete so if you have questions about that I can't help. Then there is ceili dancing which is group dancing. There are four, six, eight hand dances and many that are large group dances that are progressive. Personally my favorite ceili dances are the eight hand jig and the sweets of may. To the best of my knowledge these are the basics. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

--------------------
To watch us irish dance is to hear our hearts speak!
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 01-Feb-2005, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

You're correct about the set dances. The various 4, 6 and 8 hand ceili dances are the same no matter where you go in the world. When competing, these dances are done "by the book". You can also do 2 and 3 hand reels which are 48 bars long. These are usually choreographed by your teacher and are only required to open with a "lead around" and a "side-step". The rest of the choreography is open to whatever you want to do after that.

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gwenynen 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

catlynelizabeth, I'm continuing this thread from the other place. I found another video called Irish Dancing Made Easy by Seamus Kerrigan. Do you know it?

Does anyone elese have recommendations for beginners (solo dancing?) I prefer soft shoe dancing. I'm completely new to Irish dancing but I used to take ballet and Western line dance lessons (quite different!) This time I'd love to try Irish Dance.

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Jean Butler's Irish Dance Mastreclass is easy to follow and it is in a very easy format which breaks down the steps and movements.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]