Elspeth's Journal

Index -> Journal-> Progress...

Journal Entry

Add Entry   

Progress...
Posted by Elspeth on Mar 18th, 2007 9:23 PM
If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles, how can it be called progress?

This came to me as I was thinking back to my days working in Conservation. It certainly is true of our natural resources, our open green space, clean water and air. We've learned that lesson, almost too late, but seemingly we've been blessed with time to remedy our mistakes.

But the danger for today isn't what we belch into the air and dump in the water, it's what we are doing to the human resource.

The intangibles we abuse today are those of relationships. Relationships with loved ones and relationships with ourselves.

The self seems to need to be either worked to a frazzle or entertained constantly. The self is rarely challenged or nurtured. The scripture says - Be Still and Know I am God. Does society embrace stillness? Is it even respected? God gave us the Sabbath not only to Worship Him, but to be recharged. It is a gift from our Father that we throw back in his face.

Do we any longer hold in esteem integrity? Is our word to be trusted? Is the workplace a place of truth, integrity and responsibility?

Do we love our children enough to give them the time it takes to expect the best from them? To expect them to be responsible, trustworthy? To discipline them?

Feeding the wellspring of our being, believing in truth - even when it is uncomfortable, expecting the best our children have to give, taking the time to give guidance and discipline, being pure of mind and heart, sincerity.... All these are intangibles I see society trampling upon.

Please post your comments below.

Add Entry   

Number of times Journal has been viewed:

Homepage Journal is a service of CelticRadio.net!