Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Do You Think We Have A Constitutional Crisis?

Do you think we have a constitutional crisis?
Yes (Meaning 100%) [ 4 ]  [50.00%]
Maybe (Meaning 75%) [ 1 ]  [12.50%]
Maybe Not (Meaning 50%) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No (Meaning 25%) [ 3 ]  [37.50%]
Definately Not (Meaning 0%) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 
scottish2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Swanny @ Nov 27 2003, 11:37 PM)
I think we may be drifting off topic here.

C'mon Scottish2 - we've been debating often and long enough now that you can't get away with this common political fallacy. You're obviously a knowledgeable person, and I'm sure that you know as well as anybody on this board that the U.S. Declaration of Independence has no legal standing whatsoever. It is a position statement, but not a legal document.

Well I consider the 2 documents sort of linked being both spell out rights.

While the declaration may have no legal standing like the Constitution tell me this.
  1. Do you think you have a right to life?
  2. Do you think you have a right to liberty?
  3. Do you think you have a right to pursue happiness?

legal or not you have these rights and no government can deprive you of them because they did not give them to you they are suppose to protect them through the constitution.

The rest I agree in fact I would go even further to ask another question of Highlander

Can you show me where in the Constitution you have the right to get married?

As Swanny pointed out it doesn't exist in the Constitution.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Of course these are rights, but the authors of the declaration clearly stated, as you affirmed, that they are endowed by our Creator, NOT by government. Indeed the reasoning behind the declaration was the general and widespread feeling in the American Colonies that those rights were behing trampled by the British government of the time.

For those who haven't read (or don't remember) the U.S. Declaration of Independence, a copy can found online at the Indiana University School of Law website.

I think it's well worth reading (I do so every fourth of July to refresh my own memory), but it's also important that we recognize that it has no legal authority whatsoever.

What it does offer is a precedence that can be claimed the next time a revolution against an established government is necessary. The French thought it useful when it was their time to revolt. giljotiini.gif

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
  Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: New York, USA

male

Scottish2 - Actually the 1st and 9th amendment outlines the right of marriage by not outlining the rights based through religion and its ceremonies. Read them with the ideas of the founding fathers intentions in mind, and you will see that the Constitution actually does give the right to marriage. But also through the founding fathers eyes of intentions gay marriages would not be allowed.

Jim

--------------------
Highlander, 2004

"Fortune favors the Daring"
Neither draw me without cause, nor return me without honour
Clan MacKinnon
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

Here is and interesting website concerning the IRS, the Constitution and our laws.

http://www.supremelaw.org/sls/31answers.htm

It is now a government site but a legal website. So infer what you may..
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

Another interesting fact or tidbit for Swanny and Scottish2...

The Constitution contains the rules of our government. What official document contains the philosophical underpinnings of that government? The Declaration of Independence. M of A 781-83.

http://www.nccs.net/moa_questions.html
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Swanny @ Nov 28 2003, 08:59 AM)
Of course these are rights, but the authors of the declaration clearly stated, as you affirmed, that they are endowed by our Creator, NOT by government. Indeed the reasoning behind the declaration was the general and widespread feeling in the American Colonies that those rights were behing trampled by the British government of the time.

Well I was refering only to the rights listed there in and these would still be considered legal right rights which government cannot legislativelu control. As for the rest of the document you maybe right but depends I have to reread myself it's been awhile. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Highlander @ Nov 28 2003, 01:49 PM)
Scottish2 - Actually the 1st and 9th amendment outlines the right of marriage by not outlining the rights based through religion and its ceremonies. Read them with the ideas of the founding fathers intentions in mind, and you will see that the Constitution actually does give the right to marriage. But also through the founding fathers eyes of intentions gay marriages would not be allowed.

Jim

well as for the first amendment this is patently wrong because not every person is religious. I for instance am atheist my wife being Japanese is Budhist (non-practicing). All the first amendment does is give you a right to chose to worship as you please without fear of government controling how you worshipped similar to what happened in parts of Europe which forced the emmigration to America by those who felted controled in how they worshiped.

The 9th amendment you might be able to make a case but then again there is no exact list of those rights for the 9th amendment. Are we to say that murder is one of those rights? Certainly not so you would have to be able to prove that the founders considered marriage as part of this amendment and then prove that government has the right to control who marries whom which is impossible since government has no such power.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Highlander @ Nov 28 2003, 02:03 PM)
Here is and interesting website concerning the IRS, the Constitution and our laws.

http://www.supremelaw.org/sls/31answers.htm

It is now a government site but a legal website. So infer what you may..

Have a look at the website at my WWW link right below each message is the little WWW button. I have what amounts to roughly 28 pages (MS Word page count) that cover a number of issues with the IRS and it's illegal operation I even have proof that there is a corporation in Nevada that managed to get the official title Internal Revenue Service because the state of Nevada searched and could not legally find any such entity if they could have found then this company would not have gotten such a name as it would be in violation of federal law.

I also cover a few other interesting topics.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 28-Nov-2003, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Highlander @ Nov 28 2003, 02:11 PM)
Another interesting fact or tidbit for Swanny and Scottish2...

The Constitution contains the rules of our government. What official document contains the philosophical underpinnings of that government? The Declaration of Independence. M of A 781-83.

http://www.nccs.net/moa_questions.html

Have bookmarked it and will read it as I find time as it looks rather lengthy. Don't expect a fast reply as I am finishing up reworking a website for a client so that is filling my time quite a bit last week or so.
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

Scottish2. Read at your leisure, it was just another interesting website that I posted for yours and swannys perusal.

You say you are an Atheist and your wife is Buddhist, do you not feel that the Constitution under the first amendment protects your rights to be what you are? When someone reads the Constitution it should, not should, but must be read with the founding fathers intention in mind. What they where trying to do and say, is as important as what was written, and while this is true it in my opinion will be the ultimate down fall of the Constitution.

In society today, there are many factions that are dedicated to its destruction, and the UN Charter being put into its place. The world movement today is a movement for a single government to "rule" the world. This is not just my imagination, but is coming to fruition. The US constantly put her military under the control of a foreign "nation" (the UN), it lets other governments to some extant decide how and where the military or governmental aid will be distributed, and to whom. So are we in a Constitutional crisis, you bet.

Along with what I just mentioned the very foundation on the Constitution is under attack, on and almost daily basis. These attacks come from special interest groups that enlist the aid of unscrupulous quasi constitutional scholars that will interpret the Constitution in anyways that the special interest groups need.

I did not mean to get off on a tangent, but the Constitution is my field of study as I work towards my Ph.D in Political Science...
Jim
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

If need be I will respond in depth later but heading out in about 30 seconds so quick reply that I realize may not respond to your post but something to think about.

If marriage is a religious cerimony then do you think atheists can get married being they don't believe in religion?

Religion has nothing to do with marriage though it is involved in a lot of the cerrimony but you can just as easily be married by a judge or a ships captain which are not religious cerimonies but civil.

Ok got to run will respond in more detail if need be when I return.

And no having had chance to read your post just know it's there but wanted to give you something to think about while I am out and you're on-line in case you want to respond.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Highlander

I agree with most of what you said I do agree thefre are forces both internal and external that are determinded to undermine our constitution and Bill of Rights. But this to some degree is getting sidetracked from the issue of gay married which I feel was sort of the start of this part of the thread. You had stated the following a number of posts back. Correct me if I am wrong after the quote.
HPD, My question is simple, "what rights"? Are homosexuals different than us in their rights that are afforded by the Constitution, are they so beset upon that they need special rights that are nowhere afforded in the Constitution. The Constitution affords no special rights to anyone, how do they figure they have "special" rights? Under the founding fathers perception and design, they would have no rights at all. Our country was formed under religious principles and there is no religious principle that supports homosexuality, in fact just the opposite. So if they are concerned with "Rights" then the only rights they they have a right to be concerned about is the rights of all people of the United States of America...

At least from your statement it sounds like you state that no one via the constitution has a right to get married and gays should not be allowed to have a special amendment to allow them to get married. Well as you stated also Amendemnt 9 gives us other rights not specifically written iinto the BOR's, one of those may very well be the right to marry. But as Swanny (I think) pointed out congress doesn't have the power in the constitution to deny or even allow for the matter a marriage between 2 people. It just doesn't exist and any new amendment that would try to bar gays fro marrying would be a violation of Amendment 10 because congress does not have this power and they cannot grant them this power because anything not granted to congress resides in the state and or the people. But any such law or amendment in my hinest opinion would be repugnant to the constitution and BOR's because it discriminates and does not effect all people equally.

How would you like it if the 1st amendment said all people have the freedom of speech and of the press and religion and to petition congress except people named James. You would not like this because it does not apply evenly to all people. So what right would congress have to deprive a gay couple be it men or women from getting married when 2 other people of the opposite sex could get married?

I for one support gay marriages because each person has the right to pursue happiness and so long as they persue it and not interfer in any one elses rights that are not a willing party should be free to do as he, she, they please. The minute they use their rights to effect another unwilling party then it crosses that line but until then congress does not have the power to control said activity. As I have mentioned what if the 2 gays are atheists? Religion doesn't play a part of their lives and I would stand to guess they do not agree with at least some of not a lot of religious ideas of morality and other such items.

Also marriage has zip to do with religion as I have mention because obviously if 2 atheists get married do you think it will be a religious cerimony that marrys them?
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 30-Nov-2003, 02:33 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

S2, marriage is a commitment between two people, whether under Gods laws or a simple legal ceremony just for the sake of legal requirements. However in my eyes, which matter only to me, I feel that Gays have no legal right to marry under our laws as written and interpreted. Many do not feel this way, and that is their own decision, but do not try and change the Constitution just to fit one class of people. There rights are defined as is everyone Else's, correct? So should they be made "special" just because their gay? Under our Constitutional laws as they now stand, that wold be racist. So by adding in a special amendment just for them we would need to reject another amendment that prohibits "racism", and protect a vast majority of people just to appease the gays, do you really think we should put other people in our country at risk just for a group of people that wish to marry in a land that forbids it, and wishes to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman under the eyes of God and Country?

Jim
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 30-Nov-2003, 06:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Highlander @ Nov 30 2003, 03:33 AM)
I feel that Gays have no legal right to marry under our laws as written and interpreted.

Fine so show us where congress has the power to control marriage? For any person straight, gay, or what have you.

Fact is they don't have the power to say you can or can't get married and they don't have a power to say gays can or can't get married either. Any such law would be repugnant to the constitution and void because they would be exercising a power they do not have in the first place under the constitution.

U.S. Supreme Court
MARBURY v. MADISON, 5 U.S. 137 (1803)
5 U.S. 137 (Cranch)
WILLIAM MARBURY
v.
JAMES MADISON, Secretary of State of the United States.
February Term, 1803

Certainly all those who have framed written constitutions contemplate them as forming the fundamental and paramount law of the nation, and consequently the theory of every such government must be, that an act of the legislature repugnant to the constitution is void.

An act which deprives only one class of person from doing something everyone else can do would be a discriminatory law and repugnant to the constitution especially since congress has no power written in the constitution (specifically A1, S8) to legislatively control this activity in the first place. See I know my constitution as well and I know this is why you can't provide Swanny and me with the part of the constitution authorizing congress the power to control marriage. Amendment 9 does not apply to congress that applies to the people and even congressman as individuals not as a body and there is no other part of the constitution authorizing such power.

And it is not about gays getting married that they would want a special amendment but for fair and equal treatment. Just like the blacks back in the 50's & 60's. They want to be treated just like everybody else without the discrimination.

Now do you think blacks did not deserve their special laws to give them the same protections as all white people?

They want the same rights you have. If you have a right (be it listed or not in the BOR's or DOI) then that right you have has to be uniform not just set to one class of people. And there are no special rights like you say for example having the right to view a top secret document or having special access to a private area these are right that all straight people have so there can be no law which would deprive another class of people the same rights that white straight people have and the 50's & 60's prove this case. Special laws were written to protect a certain class from being discriminated against. And these laws would not be regarding marriage but about equality.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted on 30-Nov-2003, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Actually, I think Section 1 of the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution is more applicable in this particular argument.

Amendment XIV.

Section 1.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

(emphasis mine)

Just a bit of background on the 14th amendment. The 14th amendment was proposed only year after the 13th, which abolished slavery. The intent of congress was to protect the rights of former slaves and citizens of the former Confederate States of America. It required more than 100 years and a major American Civil Rights movement to prompt the Federal Government to fully enforce this provision as well as the provisions of the 15th (giving African Americans the right to vote).

Highlander wrote:
I feel that Gays have no legal right to marry under our laws as written and interpreted.

If I read this section of the 14th amendment correctly, not only does the Federal government have no authority to prohibit the marriage between any two people, neither do the states. Although I don't necessarily approve of gay marriage, and would personally prefer the formation of 'civil unions' I strongly feel that if I am to demand demand that my own rights be recognized then I am also obligated to recognize the rights of others.

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]