Swanny 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Irish Stepper, here is a link to a kennel in Maryland who are running Sibes. Just drop them an Email or give them a call and explain your situation. Odds are better than even that they will help you out, even if it's only to help find someone else you can work with. http://www.huskypowerdogsledding.com/index.htm

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Thanks Swanny!

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 26-Sep-2006, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

The two "new" dogs just came home from the vet yesterday. I took them in for a baseline health examination and to have identification computer chips installed. The shelter was out of chips when I got them, but with dogs that love to run through the brush and brambles often loosing collar tags in the process, chips are one of the most reliable methods of ensuring a lot and recovered dog makes it back home.

Dee, my vet, was delighted with their health and condition. She was especially pleased with their teeth. I was delighted with their behavior. Both dogs were just super troopers, and never so much as lifted a lip.

According to Dee's scale, Daisy weighs a mere 73 lb and Sheenjek weighs 83.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 22-Oct-2006, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

How are Daisy and Sheenjek doing? Has Chinook escaped recently?

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 23-Oct-2006, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I've been stuck at work or work-related activities the past 3 weeks, but Mike says they are doing just fine, hanging out with their buddies in his yard. He's been really pleased with their behavior and interactions with the other dogs.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 29-Oct-2006, 10:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I spent the weekend at the Alaska Dog Musher's Association Sled Dog Symposium and learned a TON of neat stuff.

Among other things, I found a lady who knows my newest two dogs very well. She has promised to send an Email with information about their history and background.

I also learned that Blackie (Sheenjek's sibling) was adopted from the shelter by Julie Collins (Miki and Julie are authors of several books, including Trapline Twins and Dog Driver. They are quite famous up here.

The reason Julie adopted Blackie is because my dogs and some of their dogs are closely related. They are running two of Daisy's siblings in lead - and both are performing incredibly well in much more difficult conditions than my guys will ever face.

One of those dogs was featured in a slide presentation she gave at the symposium and when I saw the photo I noted to myself that the dog looked almost identical to my own leader. Turns out there is a reason for that - they are sisters. I was warned - both Daisy's sibs LOVE to attack porcupines with very predictable results.

So, Blackie has found an excellent home where he will continue doing the work for which he was bred and trained while Sheenjek won't have to worry about being harrassed by his bullying brother. Meanwhile, given what I learned from Julie, I can expect Daisy to have several good years ahead of her on the trail.

As I learn more about the dogs I'll update my personal website and then post a link here.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 30-Oct-2006, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Ah, so we can rest easy about Blackie.

How is it that any intelligent dog would attack a porcupine more than once in a lifetime? You would think that would be a fast conditioning exercise -- the cause and effect are so strong and so close together in time. sad.gif Do the little sticklers smell so tasty they're irresistible?
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 30-Oct-2006, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

For some dogs, once is enough. They do indeed learn that a porky is something to be avoided.

Other dogs once quilled forever after attack every porky they can get. The theory is that they become so furious at the porcupine clan that they can't resist trying to kill as many as possible.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that some dogs just can't resist trying them out.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 24-Mar-2007, 10:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Hi guys. I just got two more dogs for my
Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs team.

The new dogs are Rose and Nells, named for Rose and Nells Hedlund, the people who founded the Hedlund line of Alaskan huskies. These two kids are young'uns, only nine months old, and were a gift from a freight dog driver who lives in Dillingham, AK.

They are SDIT (sled dogs in training), and once they get settled in the yard they'll go into "Sled Dog 101". By the time the snow flies next season they should be ready to run with my little team of big dogs.

First, let me introduce Rose:
user posted image

And now, Nells:
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 24-Mar-2007, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Absolutely beautiful dogs, Swanny! Thanks so much for sharing! How many dogs does that make you having now? wink.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Rose, the two new kids brings the total to 6. That is all that I can afford to keep, but it brings my team to full strength once these guys have learned their trade.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt