Posted: 23-May-2005, 05:04 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

No, you make sense. So many people give me explanations on why Americans are fascinated with geneology. I've slowly given up wondering!!!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 13-Jun-2005, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Good books to have over-all knowlege of Wales (and any countries) are ones for junior readers. They are short and written in a simple language. You can finish one book in one sitting.

The one I'm reading (again) is "Wales" in Enchantment of the World Series. It's by Ann Heinrichs. It has a great summary of history, politics, nature, land, culture with colurful maps and photos. I'm particularly grateful for the brief view on the politics as it's so hard to make myself read about politics! I'm taking notes! I've borrowed it from the local library. I'm sure any library carries one.

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 18-Nov-2005, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Wow, this thread has been collecting cobwebs!

Siarls, have you been to National Waterfront Museum there yet? (I hear it's admission free!) If you have, please let us know what you think of it.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 19-Nov-2005, 07:41 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I haven't had the opportunity yet, but you know what - that's terrible of me. I'll convince someone to go with me tomorrow.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 02-Dec-2005, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Hydrangea! I was so pleasantly surprised to see beautiful hydrangea in the background when I was watching "Talk about Welsh." Of course with the amount of rainfall, it's not really a surprise. But you see, hydrangea is everywhere during the rainy season (in June) in Japan.

By the way, a kind soul (Welsh, of course) sent me the program on s4c and I started watching it. Series 1 is pretty basic (Bore da and such) but it's interesting they could make a soap with characters speaking only those simple words (credit due to the actors' skill!) It's great to see the streets and houses in the background. The presenter is Gareth Roberts who gives comments now and then in the play. I like his English with wonderful Welsh accents!

I look forward to watching more today.

PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Gareth Roberts is now the sports commentator on S4C. Ever watching Wales v England in rubgy in Welsh- Gareth Roberts will be there!

I still haven't been to the National Waterfront Museum. I am swamped with work at the moment.

I do recommend Talk About Welsh.

By the way, Gwen, my Italian friend Sara who speaks Japanese was teaching me some that I could say to you, but I am sooooo sorry - I've forgotten it all already! My brain is a bit frazzled for the time being!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 08-Dec-2005, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I can't watch s4c here. I hope he'll be on the radio. He looks like he was a rubgy player. Talk about Welsh is very interesting. I'm still watching parts for very beginners wich are a good review. I want to watch more!

This kind Welsh soul gave me dvds with highlights from yr Eisteddfod Casnewydd. I'm simply impressed with the young people's performance (under 15.) My, there are young Aled Joneses and Charlotte Churchs everywhere! I got goose bumps listening to them sing!

I'll be glad to give you simple Japanese phrases if you want but I'm sure you're too busy now.
PMEmail Poster                
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

The King is now in Wales. The American king-Elvis Presley or rather just his face showed up on a rock in some garden today in the exact area where his ancestors are from. At least his mug didn't appear on a double whopper. Here's the story.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-...91466-20845224/

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 01-May-2008, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I must have missed something, I don't see any resemblance to the King of Rock and Roll on that rock, but of course I have a Suspicious Mind! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
iolanda 
Posted: 17-Jun-2008, 04:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

wink.gif Hallo,I'd like to know something about the Welsh traditions,music and some typical dishes,if is possible,please.I was in England, many years ago(wonderful time...)I knew lot of people e many of my friens were Irish and Scottish (one of the best of mine was), but never knew Welsh people;so I'm really ignorance about that fashionable place and people..I saw something on books and wonderful photos.....so I !would like to know something more. Can you help me,Please??
Thanks a lot biggrin.gif
Slainte
note.gif iolanda

--------------------
]Happy who, hovers over the life..feels the language and the fragrance of the simple things and the flowers.. (C. Baudelaire)

If you lose, don't lose the lesson ... (XIV Dalai Lama)
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (iolanda @ 17-Jun-2008, 06:39 AM)
wink.gif Hallo,I'd like to know something about the Welsh traditions,music and some typical dishes,if is possible,please.I was in England, many years ago(wonderful time...)I knew lot of people e many of my friens were Irish and Scottish (one of the best of mine was), but never knew Welsh people;so I'm really ignorance about that fashionable place and people..I saw something on books and wonderful photos.....so I !would like to know something more. Can you help me,Please??
Thanks a lot  biggrin.gif
                   Slainte
                                note.gif iolanda

Hello iolanda,

Although I know nothing of the language in itself because it's a hard dialect, while visiting this beautiful country we stayed and met wonderful and mostly very friendly people that talked with us in their own language.Actually one was a teacher at school.

Wales is the only part of the U.K that is the most populated place with castles and quite impressive and massive they are.
From north to south to east and west it's pack with them. Also in a well preserved stated some are of course in ruins but most are very well preserved.

The countryside is fantastic in the north it is really beautiful. You would find it almost like the french riviera in the middle it's like the highland of Scotland and in the south it is both mountains and plains.

One typical dessert that we enjoyed was the Welsh "bara brith" bread with raisin and the dish called the Welsh "rarebit" and they have also a tradition dating back from centuries ago which is the giving of the Love Spoon. You can always look it up on google for the history of this tradition. There are a lot of them carved with different things and every carvings has its own meaning. I bought two of them for myself while there. They are quite unique.

If you're interested in seeing some pics of Wales I invite you to look at the few ones in my profile.

Thanks LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
iolanda 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

:DDear Lady Of Avalon,
thank you very much for your news about Welsh!
I'll follow your council to look for it by Google; I've saw your photos in your profile: they're really beautyful and suggestive and nice quality, too!
I'll also look for the typical dishes you've mentioned ...I'm a bit curious ...
thumbup.gif Slainte
Iolanda
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]