Posted: 26-May-2003, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Canada

female

Do ye have a green thumb?
When it comes to gardening, mine is a pale shade of brown with a slight tint of green when I'm lucky. tongue.gif But I'm trying!!

Just wondered what everyone was doing in their yards or gardens this year. Any stories to tell?

We've got a big odd shaped triangular flower bed in front, it would cost a fortune to buy flowers to fill it...so I started working on a wildflower garden about 3 years ago. Last year was the first year it really took off....am hoping it will look even better this year. Very little maintenance...yay!! biggrin.gif
We're also making a little crushed rock sitting area in one corner of the yard where we'll put a bench. Am hoping to put a lattice on the wall of the house behind this area with a flowering vine. I have no clue at all about what flowering vines are nice, if anyone has any ideas....that would be great!

--------------------
~ Daonnan agus a chaoidh ~
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 26-May-2003, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (CelticAingeal @ May 26 2003, 02:43 PM)
Do ye have a green thumb?
When it comes to gardening, mine is a pale shade of brown with a slight tint of green when I'm lucky. tongue.gif But I'm trying!!

When it comes to flora & fauna, my thumb is doodoo brown biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 26-May-2003, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

*lol*..... laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 26-May-2003, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

My idea of gardening is to pour myself a big tall glass of lemonade and watch Groundforce on BBC! Let those guys do all of the sweating! I like to watch them take the worst strip of back alley real estate and turn it into something really pretty - a bit like Trading Spaces, except it is out doors rather than in. It is funny to watch them trudge around in the muck during the rain (which it laways seems to be raining there!). cool.gif

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 26-May-2003, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

My idea of gardening is to pour myself a big tall glass of lemonade and watch Groundforce on BBC!

.....sounds good to me!! wink.gif

I'll have to see if we get that outdoor show here....I know on TLC we get that one BBC show ( can't think of the name right now blink.gif ....the one with Handy Andy), it's just like Trading Spaces.

Oh and speaking of TLC, this Friday on 'While You Were Out'...they are re-doing a back yard into a 'Celtic' garden.....now this I gotta see!! ohmy.gif
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 26-May-2003, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Well, the show stars Alan, Tommy, and Charlie and is done on locations throughout the British Isles... the website can be found at

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/home_livin...round_force.jsp

It appears they plan to do an American version of that too, just like they have done for Trading Spaces (BBC version is 1/2 hr program called Changing Rooms).

I have to admit that I am also hooked on this BBC show called House Invaders in which they take a bunch of leftover paint and lumber scraps from the garage and use it to redo three rooms of a house. I often wonder if they really did have all of that stuff just laying about, or if they go out and scrounge it up special just for the program? At any rate, it is a great way to see recycled goods used to create a fabulous interior design without costing any money to do it!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 26-May-2003, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Not wanting to brag, tongue.gif Actually my thumb is turning greener by the minute! I started a wee bit of gardening back in Feb. I had pots of dirt and seeds scattered in the main living area of my home. I was so glad when the weather warmed up and I could put them outside. I raised tomatoes, lemon balm, begonias, echinecea, chives and a hydrangea in the house, since then I have bought a peace rose, which is one of my favorites, a climbing rose, 2 butterfly bushes, a pink weigela, a Little Princess Spirea, a Pink Althea Hibiscus and a gold Flame Honeysuckle. I have a Va. creeper running up my deck and lattice. I have a clematis, which is beginning to bloom and also a wisteria, which is beautiful when it blooms out. In my one flower garden which is probably about an 8x 10 I have the wavy petunias, bee balm, 3 more roses, plus 3 miniature roses, calla lillies, canna lillies, coral bell, verbena, allysum and several other flowers, also I have glads and my irises are blooming out now. I have day lillies and flowers I don't remember the names of. I have pots of flowers, I have hanging pots of flowers. I have flowers and more flowers. I have one more plot of ground I am planning to work on this week, weather permitting! I bought a celtic planter at Wally World , it is beautiful. It has a real deep bowl and I plan to put some water lillies in it. I plant flowers that the hummingbirds and butterflies like.

I hope I don't forget to watch While You Were Out, this Friday! I do want to see how they fix up that celtic garden. wink.gif

You did ask, CelticAingeal! rolleyes.gif

maggiemahone1

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Knightly Knight 
Posted: 27-May-2003, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

King of the Kowboys
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri

male

Garden? would that be the 6 new blackberry plants and two tomato plants in my back yard. I have a deal with the wife I plant and tend what she wants and she and our daughter eats it.

She got some flowers for Mothers day which the dog waters at least twice a day. I think Ill put a cage aroung the blackberries and tomatos laugh.gif

Speaking of Ground Force = I believe Ground Force is better for us than we know. It is a testament to hard work with great results as the reward. biggrin.gif

--------------------
If Jimmy cracked corn and no one cares, Why is there a song about it?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Not wanting to brag,  Actually my thumb is turning greener by the minute! I started a wee bit of gardening back in Feb. I had pots of dirt and seeds scattered in the main living area of my home. I was so glad when the weather warmed up and I could put them outside. I raised tomatoes, lemon balm, begonias, echinecea, chives and a hydrangea in the house, since then I have bought a peace rose, which is one of my favorites, a climbing rose, 2 butterfly bushes, a pink weigela, a Little Princess Spirea, a Pink Althea Hibiscus and a gold Flame Honeysuckle. I have a Va. creeper running up my deck and lattice. I have a clematis, which is beginning to bloom and also a wisteria, which is beautiful when it blooms out. In my one flower garden which is probably about an 8x 10 I have the wavy petunias, bee balm, 3 more roses, plus 3 miniature roses, calla lillies, canna lillies, coral bell, verbena, allysum and several other flowers, also I have glads and my irises are blooming out now. I have day lillies and flowers I don't remember the names of. I have pots of flowers, I have hanging pots of flowers. I have flowers and more flowers. I have one more plot of ground I am planning to work on this week, weather permitting! I bought a celtic planter at Wally World , it is beautiful. It has a real deep bowl and I plan to put some water lillies in it. I plant flowers that the hummingbirds and butterflies like.

blink.gif ...wow, wow.....and WOW!!!!!
*lol*....aye, I did ask.....and boy am I glad I did. I know who to come to with any plant/garden questions. I bet your yard looks JUST incredible. It would be great to see some pictures when it's all in bloom. That lemon balm plant ye spoke of sounds so interesting. I've never heard of such a plant, what does it look like? The Celtic planter sounds so beautiful, I wish we could find things like that up here. I'll have to keep my eyes out. Your flower garden sure is a good size too. I tried adding hyacinth (sp?), daffodils and tulips to my big triangular bed three years ago, but the only thing that ever came up was the tulips......I'm not sure why. Do ye have any recommendations for a pretty flowering vine? It's for the west side of our house....the house is brown on brown (drab sad.gif ) so it would be nice to have something colorful. Any advice ye could give Maggie would be soooooo appreciated. Thanks again so much for sharing. smile.gif

Garden? would that be the 6 new blackberry plants and two tomato plants in my back yard. I have a deal with the wife I plant and tend what she wants and she and our daughter eats it.

.....yep, that's a garden. Sounds like a great deal for your wife and daughter. *lol* And, isn't it so considerate of your dogs to do that watering? laugh.gif

free2Bme, thanks so much for that link. I went and had a look and ....oh m'goodness!! Those yard make overs are incredible. Ye are definately right Knight when ye say, ' It is a testament to hard work with great results as the reward.' There was one particicular picture that really caught my eye....it was when they did this tiny area off an alley way. It looked like a concrete dump, and they turned it into the most beautiful sitting area.....just amazing!!

I have to admit that I am also hooked on this BBC show called House Invaders in which they take a bunch of leftover paint and lumber scraps from the garage and use it to redo three rooms of a house. I often wonder if they really did have all of that stuff just laying about, or if they go out and scrounge it up special just for the program? At any rate, it is a great way to see recycled goods used to create a fabulous interior design without costing any money to do it!

.....aye, I must admit that is quite something to always find enough around to be able to re-do three rooms of a house. Certainly would give people a lot of good ideas on how to use old stuff. If it ever comes to North America I'll sure watch it. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I like Groundforce too - but now that Alan Titchmarsh has left the series, it's nowhere near as good as the earlier series. Both my husband and I are keen gardeners. Granted, he does most of the 'gardening'.... I see my role as more 'supervisory'... wink.gif

I've got quite a large garden round my house - I thought you might like to hear about plants that flourish well in our wet and sometimes very cold climate....

Rhododendrons and azaleas - I must have about a dozen of them - the colours in springtime are just wonderful.

I have a collection of about 30 different clematis plants - everything from the bog standard 'The President' (big, deep purple flowers in mid summer) to the more delicate Viticellas. My favourites are Etoile Violette and 'Minuet'.. their delicately nodding flowers look so wonderful and they flower prolifically throughout our (admittedly short) summer!

Wallflowers are just great in the early spring, too.

I have weigelas, Ribes and climbing roses on various fences and walled areas... my favourite climbers are 'Compassion' and 'Buff Beauty'. I also have a small rose garden with about 25 rose plants - which are all the 'old' English damask style roses.... I grow these mainly for their scent.

Our summers are usually short, but I am able to grow peaches against a very sheltered southfacing wall - most people would find it hard to believe we could do this in Scotland!

I have loads of tubs and hanging baskets - also a huge rose arbour which has 2 'old fashioned' roses and 3 different clematises entwined through it - in the height of the summer the smell is delicious at that end of the garden.

I also have a small veggie garden - mostly runner beans and french beans, salad leaves and spring onions.

I have a herb garden within a small 'knot garden' (plot is edged with bay) with parsley, mint (4 different types), tarragon, sage, coriander, rosemary, thymes and oregano. Most of them are not 'hardy' but they are easily replaced each year. I love to cook and I get through loads of herbs throughout the summer. I use them in all themarinades I make for barbecued food!

Sometimes I wish we had a 'kinder' climate - but our garden is living proof that we DO have summers in Scotland, honestly laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticAingeal 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Our hubbies have a lot in common. wink.gif

Sometimes I wish we had a 'kinder' climate - but our garden is living proof that we DO have summers in Scotland, honestly 

*lol*.....well, I'd say that amazing garden and yard of yours is MORE than proof that ye can. smile.gif

Peaches, now that is something I would have never guessed. I know here in Mid Canada we are very limited as well. We tend to have a great big long winter, skip through fall and spring and quite often an intensely hot summer for two months.....poor plants don't stand a chance. I'm slowly learning what works and doesn't....I think it takes a lot of trial and error, we have so many different growing climates here.

Your yard sounds just beautiful Catriona....it would be great if you could share some pictures sometime. It also sounds like something that you've put a lot of years into doing. I have a small vegetable garden as well, but keep pretty much to the basics. The kiddies are still small and quite picky, so I plant things I know they'll eat for sure. smile.gif I would love to try growing some herbs, too. I must ask what is a 'knot garden'? And did ye mean, by ' plot is edged with bay' ....meaning bay leave plants? Sounds very interesting!!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

CelticAingeal, have you tried a wisteria for a flowering vine. They grow hardy in zones 5-9 here in the states. I think they like a southern or western exposure. They are beautiful with a long cascading purple flower. One of my favorites. The lemon balm is a herb, I like to pinch a little off and put in my tea. I pot my herbs and put them outside for the summer.

I hope to post some pictures probably the end of June. My daughter is getting married June 21st and it is going to be an outside wedding in my flower garden.

As far as your hyacinths and daffy's not coming up, the only thing I can think is maybe something might have stolen your bulbs. Maybe a mole or some other critter! ohmy.gif I know if you plant them to deep they won't bloom.

My husband does do the plowing up or digging a hole I need maybe for shrubbery, but I do not let him loose planting or tending. That is something I like to do. I like to plant a little seed and watch it grow.

Catriona, Here in WV we have had the most beautiful rhododendrons in bloom this spring. I think they must like the wet weather that we have been getting. One of my favorite climbing rose is a Sir Thomas Lipton. It is one of the most fragrant roses that I have smelled. The roses are white. The only trouble with my roses every year I have to fight the Japanese beetles off. They can devour a rose in no time flat. They bunch up and eat away! ph34r.gif

As far as a veggie garden, I haven't planted one in several years. I did plant some lettuce, mesclun mix and I have some tomato plants that I raised from seed. Tomatoes are one of my favorite veggies. A fresh picked ripe tomato from the garden! Yummy!!!

maggiemahone1

PMEmail PosterUsers Website                View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Here's a picture of a very 'grand' knot garden in England....... I can assure you, mine is very much downmarket from this one! Yes, mine is edged with small bay plants, but I am thinking of pulling them out and replacing them with the more traditional box hedging.

http://www.martens-foto.de/nt/hanbury3.html

Mine is about 20 feet by 20 ft..... nowhere near as grand as the one at Hanbury in this illustration

I don't know the Sir Thomas Lipton rose, Maggie - but one of my most prolific climbers/ramblers is the rose called American Pillar - it has pinky red flowers with a white 'eye' and vivid yellow stamens. No scent and it is a single flowering plant - but the flowering is so prolific that I feel it is worth keeping, even though it only flowers once a year.

Some of my pot plants have done exceptionally well.... I have very large terra cotta pots that I bought in Tuscany a few years ago - luckily they have proved to be impervious to frost damage (so far!) I have planted a number of agapanthus plants - both blue and white and another plant called 'Angel's Fishing Rod'........ just amazing when it flowers.

I also have bamboos in large pots (the pots are about 4 ft in diameter and about 5 ft deep) - a bamboo nigra - the one with the black stems and another one which is a more common form. I have to take them into the conservatory during the winter months. I even grow an oleander - which I pinched as a cutting from a hedge in Cyprus, about 8 years ago.... It too, has to live in the conservatory during the winter.

Some of my trees are doing well. I have 3 large plum trees, as well as two or three (depending if the third has come through last winter, it doesn't look too well!) apple trees. I have a goat willow, and a huge flowering weeping cherry. I also have a large magnolia that we put in about 20 years ago. Each winter I wonder if it will survive..... it always seems to, although the early morning frosts often blight the blossoms. sad.gif

As you can tell, as well as cooking, gardening is a real passion of mine! cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 28-May-2003, 05:18 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ May 28 2003, 04:56 PM)
Catriona, Here in WV we have had the most beautiful rhododendrons in bloom this spring. I think they must like the wet weather that we have been getting. One of my favorite climbing rose is a Sir Thomas Lipton. It is one of the most fragrant roses that I have smelled. The roses are white. The only trouble with my roses every year I have to fight the Japanese beetles off. They can devour a rose in no time flat. They bunch up and eat away!  ph34r.gif

As far as a veggie garden, I haven't planted one in several years. I did plant some lettuce, mesclun mix and I have some tomato plants that I raised from seed. Tomatoes are one of my favorite veggies. A fresh picked ripe tomato from the garden! Yummy!!!

maggiemahone1

All I have here are hostas, peonies which still don't have any buds on 'em even though it's past Memorial Day, some other perennials I can't name, and an apple tree which either doesn't bloom or the squirrels eat all the apples mad.gif . I need to buy some squirrel repellent or a BB gun biggrin.gif .

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 28-May-2003, 05:20 PM
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 28-May-2003, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

Since I'm getting over this cold, I have a green finger. Is that close enough?
huh.gif
I'm so bad at gardening, I couldn't grow mold!

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt