> New Cap Badge Of The Royal Regiment Of Scotland
EBondurant 
Posted: 20-Aug-2005, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

The Colonel Commandant of The Scottish Division and Scotland's most senior serving Army Officer, Major General Euan Loudon, has unveiled the new Cap Badge of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

The new badge will be worn by all Battalions of The Royal Regiment of Scotland when it is formed in spring 2006. The badge, which will replace all the current Regimental badges, was recently approved by the Army Dress Committee and granted Royal Assent by Her Majesty the Queen.

The new Regiment will consist of the six regiments of the Scottish Division which will each form a battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The six regiments are; The Royal Scots, The Kings Own Scottish Borderers, The Black Watch, The Highlanders, The Royal Highland Fusiliers and The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

In Autumn, 2006, the Kings Own Scottish Borderers Battalion and The Royal Scots Battalion will merge to form a single battalion, leaving 5 Regular Battalions in the Regiment. The current TA infantry regiments in Scotland, 51st Highland Regiment and 52nd Lowland Regiment, will also form part of the RRS and will be re-named 7th and 8th Battalions of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

General Loudon explained the symbology of the new badge and why it was chosen:

"Our new Regiment needs a new symbol, one that is designed on the principles of simplicity, style, smartness, Scottishness and, above all, something of which the soldiers can be proud. It has been our priority to design and gain approval for this new symbol as quickly as possible."

General Loudon also explained the thinking behind the design:

"It incorporates two of the most recognisable symbols of Scotland ? the Saltire and the Lion Rampant. In addition a Scottish Crown surmounts the Lion as is incorporated by right as we are to be a Royal regiment. The motto on the scroll of our new capbadge is 'Nemo me impune lacessit' ? 'no one assails me with impunity'. This is one of Scotland?s mottoes, so this badge concentrates and represents the very essence of Scotland.

"The design work has been a collaborative effort, led by Brigadier Andrew Mackay. It is the culmination of several months of discussion and consultation both with those who are serving and those who have retired. The serving officers and Regimental Sergeant Majors who have been involved in this work very quickly came to the conclusion that this crisp, bold design passed their tests of style and simplicity (with flying colours).

"Brigadier Mackay has been ably supported with both advice and ideas by the staff of the Lord Lyon, who is responsible to the Sovereign for Scottish heraldic matters. The design was submitted to Her Majesty The Queen through the Army Dress Committee and Her Majesty has graciously given our new capbadge Her royal assent."

For General Loudon the new design is a real step forward:

"This is a bold new design ? it unifies all of Scotland?s line Infantry regiments and it incorporates the key symbols (icons) of Scotland. One capbadge for the Nation?s new Regiment."

All officers and soldiers, in both the Regular and TA battalions, of the new Regiment will wear the new capbadge from Formation Day. This will be no later than the end of March 2006.

user posted image

news.mod.uk
PMEmail Poster               
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 20-Aug-2005, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

I was just reading about this on Scotsman.com - it is interesting to say the least! I do like the final badge though.....

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Aug-2005, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I think I'd like it a little better if it were less an "X" and more on the real saltire angle, more horizontal. Probably they tried that, and this fits the space in a cap better for some reason.
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1793222005

I dunno about collapsing all the regiments into one in the first place:( . . . but if it had to be, this is certainly very Scottish in spirit.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]