> Indisclosed Message
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 01:25 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

How the heck do you send an email with many folks and yet do not disclose anyone's email' addy's in the process? I thought I did right by putting in the cc section: bcc and then all the addy's, but I greatly screwed up! Someone told me she could see everyone's email addy's...EEP! I feel so badly as I thought I was doing right....Help!

dweeb of the net! Rosemary
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,529 Gold!

CR, I keep the addys in my address book under first names (and last intial if needed). When I click the names in the address book, that's what shows, the names, no addresses. I also put them in the bcc section (not the cc, this won't hide names or addresses).

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 09:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

"bcc" would be the first thing I would think of too, but Rose is saying the bcc'd addresses showed when her friends got the message. It may be that you can't bcc a group, for security reasons (it would be too easy, if you could hijack someone's account, to use it to mass-mail spam, maybe), and it was really only a cc. It's a good question to ask your e-mail provider.

It is a good idea, I guess, to keep addresses under only first names. Other than that, I guess you would have to send them all out separately.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

BCC is how it would be done. Sounds to me like she also listed everyone under cc, which is where the mistake would have been. If you BCC folks, then for all they can tell, they are the only recipient. if you CC, then everyone is listed in the header. (And I believe that includes all the info, no matter how you list it in your own address book)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok, my next dweeb question is where do you find bcc on outlook express to use it? I put all the addresses in cc: but put in bcc and then all the addresses, cause I couldn't find where to use the bcc. All I have in my Outlook express is To, cc, and subject line. I looked in tools, help, etc., on top and can't find it!

That's a real good idea, CarolinaScotsman, about putting them all in first names, but someone could still take that name and use it. Right, Aaediwen? That's what I got out of what you were saying. Thanks! smile.gif
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 05-Sep-2006, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

CC - Carbon Copy would show all the addresses of other people.
BCC - Blind Carbon Copy shouldn't show them at all. So my guess is that she put it under CC and BCC which still would show them all.

I usually put one of my junkmail addresses in the top and then everyone in BCC. works usually for me.

Can't think of anything else how to avoid giving out addresses.

Isn't it usually when you see the name in the addressbar you can find out the e-mail after pointing the curser over it? At least when I do it, the e-mail address is shown next to the curser.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 06-Sep-2006, 05:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,529 Gold!

You'll have to use the address book to use bcc. On your new message form, click Tools then Select Recipients. A new box pops up with all your contacts on the left and a choice of To, CC or BCC on the right. Click a name, then click the box you wish to send it to. (I put my own name in the To box just so something will be there.) When you have entered all the names, click OK and you'll be back to the new message form and all the addresses should be taken care of.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Sep-2006, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 05-Sep-2006, 08:07 PM)
Ok, my next dweeb question is where do you find bcc on outlook express to use it? I put all the addresses in cc: but put in bcc and then all the addresses, cause I couldn't find where to use the bcc. All I have in my Outlook express is To, cc, and subject line. I looked in tools, help, etc., on top and can't find it!

That's a real good idea, CarolinaScotsman, about putting them all in first names, but someone could still take that name and use it. Right, Aaediwen? That's what I got out of what you were saying. Thanks! smile.gif

I can't say for sure where it is in Outlook Express, since I haven't used that since something like 1997. But I know in Outlook 2003, there's an options list in the toolbar where you can select the BCC field to be shown when composing a new mail.

Typically, what I do if I just want to BCC everyone I send the mail to, is I'll put my own E-mail address in the TO: field, and then everyone else in BCC. Ad for the addresses, every machine that mail goes through will need to know where the mail is going, Just saying the mail goes to CelticRose and CarolinaScotsman for example, means nothing to machines that have never heard of these people. They have to know that it's CelticRose whose account is on CelticRadio.us, for example. Although I don't have a sample mail in my in-box right now, where someone has used CC< instead of just putting several addresses in TO.

I don't have a mail in my box right now I can use to verify what I'm saying, so I may be wrong (*gasp*) But I do believe that unless you BCC< all that information would have to be in the header of the E-mail in order for it to be delivered.

a BCC basically sends out the mail seperately for everyone.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Sep-2006, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks so much all! I discovered that if I click on the "To" that it comes up with bcc! So there you go! I never knew this before!

thanks so much for everyone for your help and I apologize profusely to those that I sent emails to (visually) concerning my address. I never meant to do this. I thought I was sending out a bcc on all parties. My extreme apologies again.

I just got word this week that our area is up for broadband and so I am signing up! I have been waiting for this for 6 years! Finally it has come! I wish I had known sooner, but did not. I am so very sorry. I will be getting the broadband all set up next week and thus another new email addy. Most very apologetic to all you! thanks for your help!
Aaediwen 
Posted: 09-Sep-2006, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Broadband for CR! YAAAY! And there was much rejoice! smile.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Sep-2006, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Many many thanks to everyone here for your help! And Yay! I finally get broadband! I am so excited! They guy is coming out tomorrow (Monday) to set it up. But then hubby opted to install the modem which we have not received yet, so not sure how long all this will take. But it all means another email address for me and how embarrassing is that? unsure.gif But I should be able to get Highlander radio all the better now, eh?

Anyway, thanks so much for your help, everyone. I just hope all forgives me for what I did in sending out their email addresses publically...EEP! It was never ever intentional...just dweeb here who goofed again!

Many thanks all! thumbs_up.gif
fiferbob 
Posted: 08-Feb-2007, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHazel

male

[was just browsing through the sectios and realised i had never sent anythng bcc usin aol but the comment to use the address book which would then give the option to cc or bcc was spot on
thanks tou i just learned something new today many thanks

--------------------
This is my country,
The land that begat me,
These windy spaces
Are surely my own.
And those who here toil
In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh,
And bone of my bone.

Sir Alexander Grey
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Feb-2007, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Learn something every day, eh? Well I sure do! wink.gif Glad we could all be of help to you!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]