Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are We By Nature Good Or Evil?
maryellen 
  Posted: 21-Oct-2003, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Star to oldraven for "good" definition of good and evil. sweet, simple and to the point. most cultures can agree with them. I might add that good is pursuit of peace and happiness for others and yourself. People can get very corrupt pursuing happiness for themselves.
I think everyone is pretty optimistic here with on average we all become good. 200 years ago, everyone was taught that children are born evil and they had to be molded. It was called something.... I forget what. Perhaps it is reflection of our times. Or we do believe that most people are good, or else the world would be a big mess.
I know not people like Dr. Laura, but she had a good analogy she mentioned once. She said that if we had no traffic signals, then it would be chaotic. Bad things would happen. Same as rules and morals. We only have the freedom to live when everyone abides rules.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 21-Oct-2003, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ Oct 21 2003, 07:57 PM)
if we had no traffic signals, then it would be chaotic. Bad things would happen.

thumbs_up.gif yes.gif

Automotive analogies always make more sense to me. wink.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 21-Oct-2003, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Oct 21 2003, 06:11 PM)
Nice.

Way to quote Harry Potter. tongue.gif

Hey, if the shoe fits...

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
McHaggis 
Posted: 22-Oct-2003, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

If the shoe fits.....you're name is Cinderella?

You're a woman who puts comfort above style?

Your farrier does a good job?

Your mechanic got the right parts for that brake job: meaning the parts for your International finally got here from Ft. Wayne, Indiana (IHC and Scout owners everywhere are nodding their heads in agreement....)?

RON

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 23-Oct-2003, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Oct 21 2003, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (oldraven @ Oct 21 2003, 06:11 PM)
Nice.

Way to quote Harry Potter.  tongue.gif

Hey, if the shoe fits...

laugh.gif

cheers.gif

McHaggis, doesn't it feel odd to be driving a vehicle named Harvester? tongue.gif I know your story well. Try finding PRC (Programmed Ride Control) shocks for an '87 T-bird Turbocoupe. sad.gif Let alone a damned replacement tailight. It's like my parts guy lives on e-bay.
PMEmail Poster               
McHaggis 
Posted: 30-Oct-2003, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

The Scouts and IHCs are all in the past now......and yes, driving a 4 cyl Scout across the country was like driving a tractor.....very noisy!! Had to put a big amp on the stereo just to drown out the sound the engine! Used to tell passengers "Don't EVEN try to converse, just buckle up and shut up 'till we get there!" After a 3-day grind the operative word was SHELL SHOCK..if you could hear anything at all!!

Back on topic: The Scout was GOOD!!! (Not EVIL.) It saved my bacon many times in the Upper Midwest and The Rockies!!

RON
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 30-Oct-2003, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I believe that the vast majority of people are by nature good-hearted and well-intentioned, but I have met a few who are evil through and through. Not just criminal (I've met many of them, too but don't necessarily equate 'criminal' with 'evil'). In this context I'm referring to people who are seriously and soul-deep intent upon upon doing as much harm as possible to as many as possible. I won't go into detail as it's much too depressing.

I can think of a couple of people I've encountered during my career who I honestly believe were born without a "soul", just as some children are born without a limb, or without sight or some other sense. That indescribable something that some call the 'spark of humanity' wasn't there. I do sincerely hope and pray to never encounter such a person again.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
bhalilama 
Posted: 30-Oct-2003, 11:56 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

McHaggis,I don't know 'nuthin 'bout good or evil automobiles,but I did see "Christine".And it's always good when my jaloppy gets me where I'm going.

--------------------

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Drink thee fast, the ale grows old!
PMEmail Poster               
bhalilama 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 12:08 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

On a serious note, it seems to me that society dictates the body of what is considered "evil",so it must by default dictate what is "good". I personally would like to believe that if mankind had no type of "law" we would be loving and kind. We all know that would not be the case.That's a utopic dream.There is a cut of the population that will be the ones to torture animals when they are kids,then grow up to be serial killers. This is regardless of environmental influence.So in closing,like religion and if you like to eat cabbage,good and evil has to come down to personal decisions. Blessed BE
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 01-Nov-2003, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

So I guess your answer is yes and no? I do agree though- some would not hurt others by some innate "instinct?" and others would go killing. I hear this a lot from the boys at our school. Not to put the male sex down or anything. I think perhaps since males no longer hunt and kill for their food, then the aggression gets channeled in other ways.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 01-Nov-2003, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I think perhaps since males no longer hunt and kill for their food, then the aggression gets channeled in other ways.

That's an astute observation, Marryellen, but I'm not convinced that it's entirely accurate. It may be applicable in urbanized areas to some extent. It is documented that boys who hunt are less likely to commit violent crimes than those who do not. I wonder if that might not be because boys who hunt have more exposure to, and experience with, potentially lethal weapons and probably a more realistic understanding of the finality of death.

In Alaska's bush regions, where subsistence hunting is an absolute necessity (not just a life-style choice) the per-capita homicide rate is rather astounding. In the vast majority of homicides committed in bush villages alcohol abuse is cited by LEOs (law enforcement officers, sorry) as a major contributing factor.

When vexed by human behavior I often find that the explanations that finally make sense in my brain are based on a biological model. I'm willing to accept as fact that we humans are large, hairless, omnivorous, gregarious primates and at some level much of our behavior is based on primal instinct. Sometimes comparing human behavior to that of other species helps me sort things out.

In most gregarious species males aggressively defend territory and compete for dominance within the "troop" (tribe, pack, pod, group, whatever term you wish to use). When a bunch of boys get caught wrestling around in the schoolyard and the teacher asks "What are you boys doing?", don't they often reply that they are "just monkeying around?" (sorry, couldn't resist injecting a bit of humor here). I've read that sociologists think that like immature apes, wolves, puppies and any other young gregarious creatures, the boys are subconciously competing for dominence which in nature is determined by physical size, strength and coordination. Through play most dominence issues in animals are resolved prior to adulthood, so that when fully mature males face off in dominence disputes the fight can end with a show of submission, rather than the death of a combatant.

Using the biological model of human behavior, it seems to me that most physical altercations are disputes over territory (wars, gang-fights over turf, &c) or dominence (especially domestic violence).

Where we humans vary somewhat from other gregarious species is that it seems as though a larger proportion of our altercations result in fatalities. This is not unheard of in nature. Territorial disputes between packs of wolves or prides of lions often end with a fatality, but it's rare in nature for disputes among members of the same group (pack, &c) to have a fatal result.

I believe that the reason more human intra-tribal disputes have fatal results is due to a disfunction within the assailant's brain. Most commonly due to alcohol or other mind/judgement altering substances, but sometimes due to other mental disorders. (bi-polar disease and sometimes schizophrenia)

I can appreciate someone killing another in order to survive, hunting for food or in self defense. I can even understand how someone might kill another in a fit of rage. We have all been angry enough to harm another had we not exercised a great deal of discipline.

Those I can not understand, and who I most closely associate with 'evil' are the true sociopaths, who have no apparent conscience at all. There is nothing in nature that explains people like Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy or other sociopaths. I believe that may be why they are so facinating to physchiatrists and physchologists. Thankfully, they are rare but if you are at all spiritually sensitive and you encounter one you will feel their 'evil' as a palpable force.

Hmmm. I wonder if mental illness exists in animals? I s'pose it must. I'll have to call up my wildlife biologist buddy as ask him.

Swanny

PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Nice points made Swanny!

I think many people are of the mindet that we humans are seperate from nature. Instead of being part of nature. And with our technology have lost some of our rituals that came with growing up closer to/with nature. Your example of young people hunting.... good example....
There are no real milestones in a childs life that they are growing towards adulthood... yeah, i guess highschool graduation could be considered... but I mean in the family unit....

But I also believe, everyone has that "rage" inside of them. But have the disapline to control it.... I guess I have heard it referd to as "inner demons" I personally like the theory of the Hulk. LOL! It's in *everyone*......potentially ... it just depends on the amount of psyhcological trauma one endures .....before it comes to the surface... or if it ever surfaces....
And then there are just the wackos ( technical term wink.gif ) like Daulmer, Charlie manson...and so on.... Could be just an overload of certain chemicals in the brain.....

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
McHaggis 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I agree with the biochemical construct theory. Just a buncha chemicals that can get out of whack and cause problems. Also agree that humans are not much different than the other "natural" critters....just larger prefrontal cortex than most.

Heck, even dolphins aren't all "Flipper-esque!" I've surfed with enough of them so see some pretty rowdy behavior out there. Juvenile dolphins that act like human teenagers terrorizing me just because they can! Like little school yard bullies.....dropping in on me, forcing me off the peak, racing away down the line and then turning on a dime to race back at me and button hook me just cause they can.....leaping out of the water close enough to splash me. Older ones are usually pretty mellow and just cruise on by but sometimes they surf with us or "rainbow" the top of us. Nothing cooler than looking up and seeing 300+ lbs. of dolphin soaring over head......and nothing scarier than hoping their timing is good and they don't land on you.

...and those boyz have pretty big brains! So they know what's up!

So, yeah, back on topic, humans are both good and evil, but the largest percentage of us keep the rage to a minimum because we know that's the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, some don't.

Like Swanny, I've lived in the rurals and the outdoors and have seen nature at its most raw on occasion. so I can relate completely to what he's talking about. Inner city is the same, mostly turf wars and competitive behaviors that aren't channeled in a direction that's beneficial to society at large. Seen the same thing in the surf line-up. Localism in surfing exists and is well documented even in relatively uncrowded conditions, like where I surf now. The cage doesn't have to be completely crowded before one rat bites another rat for infringing on territory.

RON
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 18-Nov-2003, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Maryellen
The title explains most of it: are humans by nature good or evil. if we don't have laws that make us conduct ourselves nicely, then what would happen. Or if religion never existed or found out to be a big sham, what would happen?

Better Yet Maryellen.....what would YOU do if it turned out to be a sham???

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
maryellen 
Posted: 18-Nov-2003, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

censored.gif

Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]