Annabelle 
Posted: 03-Jan-2004, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Well I for one hope I'm long gone before this world starts an atomic war!

A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
kidclaymore 
Posted: 03-Jan-2004, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

Lets all hope that this will never happen again. sad.gif

Thanks Heidi for a wonderful story. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 03-Jan-2004, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Jan 3 2004, 09:50 AM)
Well I for one hope I'm long gone before this world starts an atomic war!

A

I'll second that.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 05:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

What about your children and your grandchildren? Instead of hoping to be dead before why not work towards making sure it never happens even on your decendants. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Very well said, scottish2...it's our duty as we are responsible for what we're leaving to the following generations!

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Thanks! I like trying to make people think. I mean it's a shame that today it seems common sense is a dead device. I see that a lot out on some of the yahoo boards people who don't even bother to think before they post rediculous replies. I mean it's really sad. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki likely saved many lives, by ending the war without the need for an assault landing on the Japanese homelands. As horrible as they were, there were far from the only devastating bombings during that war. The firebombings of Tokyo and Dresden were no doubt equally horrifying.
See, for example,
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0310-01.htm
and,
http://proliberty.com/observer/20030402.htm
Nor is high tech necessary to have extremely high casualties, as shown by massacres in Cambodia, and various parts of Africa.
As horrible as the bombings were, the courage of the brave young men flying Allied bombers deep into enemy territory, knowing they would suffer extremely high casualties themselves, is a sigficant factor in stopping the spread of totalitarianism, and allowing us to enjoy our present freedom and prosperity.
I must admit to a certain degree of bias, as I was one of the Silent Warriors
http://www.silent-warriors.com/
flew recon missions to gather the intelligence needed to give our bombers a better chance of success, should the need arise.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

OK I know I stated I was not going to delve into this here but this needs clarifying.

According to the Nuremberg charter that governed the trials at nuremberg the following is considered a crime against humanity.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/imt/proc...tconst.htm#art6

II. JURISDICTION AND GENERAL PRINCIPLES
Article 6.
The Tribunal established by the Agreement referred to m Article 1 hereof for the trial and punishment of the major war criminals of the European Axis countries shall have the power to try and punish persons who, acting in the interests of the European Axis countries, whether as individuals or as members of organizations, committed any of the following crimes.

The following acts, or any of them, are crimes coming within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal for which there shall be individual responsibility:

a) CRIMES AGAINST PEACE: namely, planning, preparation, initiation or waging of a war of aggression, or a war in violation of international treaties, agreements or assurances, or participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of any of the foregoing;

cool.gif WAR CRIMES: namely, violations of the laws or customs of war. Such violations shall include, but not be limited to, murder, ill-treatment or deportation to slave labor or for any other purpose of civilian population of or in occupied territory, murder or ill-treatment of prisoners of war or persons on the seas, killing of hostages, plunder of public or private property, wanton destruction of cities, towns or villages, or devastation not justified by military necessity;

c)CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY: namely, murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation, and other inhumane acts committed against any civilian population, before or during the war; or persecutions on political, racial or religious grounds in execution of or in connection with any crime within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal, whether or not in violation of the domestic law of the country where perpetrated.

Now who here would consider dropping an atomic bomb on a city containing an estimated 350,000 people 40,000 of which were military (Meaning 310,000 civilians) a humane act? of that 310,000 civilians about 8,000 were children. Out of that 310,000 civilians by the end of 1945 about 100,000 of the 310,000 would be dead. The lucky ones of of that 100,000 were the ones who were killed instantly. If you want to know why PM me and and I would be more then glad to show you why. Bare in mind the links I will send are quite graphic so only those who truly want to see the horror of what an atomic bomb does to human flesh need ask as that way you can see why I am against such weapons. And this is why I hate the victor of war holdig the trials because the victor never points a finger of themselves for war crimes. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Civilians get killed in war. Every war. Every type of war. War is a crime against humanity.

I sometimes think all wars should be fought only by those who declare them.

I know, a silly fantasy, but perhaps if the 'diplomats' and politicians were the ones risking their lives, then more effort would be made towards finding a peaceable solution.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Jan 4 2004, 02:21 PM)
Civilians get killed in war. Every war. Every type of war. War is a crime against humanity.

Yes but there is a difference here. Yes I agree civilians do get killed in war, but the US knew full well they were not only targeting military personel but several hundred thousand civilians cause Nagasaki had about 90,000 civilians killed by that bomb. This was not a random bullet hitting a civilian this was the US dropping a bomb they knew full well would not ask every single civilian and child to step out of it's way as it killed. And the horrors of those 2 bombs were more then most knew since most have never seen or taken a look at the photos unless they have visited the museum there or as of recently visited the web to view the images of what happened.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (scottish2 @ Jan 4 2004, 06:57 AM)
What about your children and your grandchildren? Instead of hoping to be dead before why not work towards making sure it never happens even on your decendants. smile.gif

Once again our friend speaks (writes) wisdom. Go Dude!!! thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 03:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

I read all the posts here carefully. I saw photos of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I saw documentations about Pearl Harbor as well.
For me - who is no daydreamer but usually very near to reality - it is necessary to make a distinction. The topic is titled "NO MORE bombing" so it's logically not so much the question to justify or not the bombing of both Japanese towns but to point out that it must never happen again.
Further or detailed discussion about sense, justificatian or not at all should be lead in the protected forum (poiltics online). It's a very narrow path we are walking on with entering in this sort of discussion in "General Discussion" and I feel a bit uncomfortable in doing it here.....well, just my impression and opinion...
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
scottish2 
Posted: 04-Jan-2004, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well that is why I have been stating that this should be discussed there but people keep talking about the topic here instead of taking the gental push to the protected forum but some of the replies have needed a reply and I have tried to reply as delicately as I can here in the open forum and not shown stuff that I would not even post openly in the politics forum. But the discussion started partly because of the image in my signature. So it involves me personally. I know nobody was saying anything bad but in my honest opinion to compare pearl to hiroshima and nagasaki is not right in my personal opinion. While I agree the attack on pearl was wrong I feel that the bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki were even more wrong. The Japanese at least targeted a military target. The US targeted innocent civilians while doing their military targeting. In my honest opinion.

OK now as global moderator I am closing this thread and suggest if you want to discuss this further PM me for the password for the politics forum and start a thread there and we can discuss this in more depth.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]