> Wisdom Keepers, Any cultures wisdom & related discussion
Stargazer 
Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

male

Thank you MacErca for your complement smile.gif , and very good yourself; for the wolf, like many other animals, teaches us wisdom if we pay close attention. That is why many styles of chinese Gung Fu attempts to mimic the perfect form and skill found in all animals. Here's some more upon eastern philosophy explained by Bruce Lee. This post is about Tao, which is a major philosophy of China (note: the symbol of Taoism is the Yin-Yang):

Tao

The history of Tao. - To the Chinese what is highest, the origin of things, is nothingness, emptiness, the altogether undetermined, the abstract universal, and this is also called Tao. Before Confucius, the term "Tao" usually meant a road, or a way of action - moral, social, and political. The Taoist used the term "Tao" to stand for the totality of all things, equivalent to what some philosophers [i.e., Hegel] have called "The Absolute." The "Tao" was the basic stuff out of which all things were made. It was simple, formless, desireless, without striving, supremely content.

Gentleness in the Tao Te Ching. - In Tao Te Ching, the gospel of Taoism, Lao-tzu pointed out to us the value of gentleness. Contrary to common belief, the yin principle, as softness and pliableness, is to be associated with life and survival. Because he can yield, a man can survive. In contrast, the yang principle, which is assumed to be rigorous and hard, makes a man break under pressure.

On uniting with Tao, a personal experience. - I lay on the boat and felt that I had united with Tao; I had become one with nature. I just lat there and let the boat drift freely according to its own will. For at that moment I had achieved a state of inner feeling in which opposition had become mutually cooperative instead of mutually exclusive, in which there was no longer any conflict in my mind. The whole world to me was unitary.

The Tao and emptiness. - The assimilation of the Tao has its foundation in "meekness," "tenderness," poverty of spirit, and quietness. These are expressed sometimes by one word, "emptiness." An aggressive spirit will be brought low, pride leads to a fall, violence will end in defeat, all [of] which come from misunderstanding the real use of Tao.

The philosophy of Taoism. - Taoism is a philosophy of the essential unity of the universe (monism), or reversion, poarization (yin & yang), and eternal cycles, of the leveling of all differences, the relativity of all standards, and the return of all to the primeval one, the divine intelligence, the source of all things. From this naturally arises the absence of desire for strife and contention and fighting for advantage. Thus the teachings of humility and meekness of the Christian Sermon on the Mount find a relational basis, and a peaceable temper is bred in man. It emphasizes nonresitance and importance of gentleness.

Tao is truth. - The word "Tao" has no exact equivalent in the English language. To render it into "Way," "Principle," or "Law" is to give it a too narrow interpretation. Although no one word can substitute [for] its meaning, I have used the word "Truth" for it.

- Bruce Lee 1940-1973

--------------------
Mellonîn, Im annale i galu calad, meleth, ar i Benain
PMEmail Poster               
Stargazer 
Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

male

Again, here is some more about eastern philosophy explained by Bruce Lee. This time it's on Zen Buddhism (note: the Eight Fold Path of Buddhism is very helpful if you ever need to use it wink.gif :

Zen Buddhism

Zen has no metaphysics. - Zen wishes to escape the pointless endeavor to trap life in a metaphysical net instead of simply living it.

Zen reveals that there is no problem, and no solution. - Zen reveals that there is no where for man to go out of this world; no tavern in which he can overcome anxiety; no jail in which he can expiate guilt. So, instead of telling us what the problem is, Zen insists that that the whole trouble is just our failure to realize that there is no problem. And, of course, this means that there is no solution, either.

The parable of a tea serving. - A learned man once went to a Zen master to inquire about Zen. As the Zen master talked, the learned man would frequently interrupt him with remarks like, "Oh yes, we have too," etc. Finally the Zen master stopped talking and began to serve tea to the learned man; however, he kept on pouring until the tea overflowed. "Enough, no more can go into the cup!" the learned man interrupted. "Indeed I see," answered the Zen master. "But if you do not first empty your cup, then how can you taste my cup of tea?"

Buddhism is effortless. - In Buddhism there is no place for using effort. Just be ordinary nothing and nothing special. Eat your food, move your bowels, pass water, and when you're tired go and lie down. The ignorant will laugh at me, but the wise will understand.

Zen has no idols. - Zen liberates the mind from servitude to imagine spiritual states as "objects," which too easily become hypostatized and turn into idols that obsess and delude the seeker.

Transcending karma. - The way to transcend Karma lies in the proper use of the mind and will.

The Zen of assertion. - An assertion is Zen only when it is itself an act and does not refer to anything that is asserted in it.

On prajna (wisdom). - Prajna is not self-realization, but realization pure and simple, beyond subject and object.

On the bodhisattva. - Leaving sagehood behind and entering once more into ordinary humanity. After coming to understand the other side, you come back and live on this side.

Buddhism's Eight Fold Path - The eight requirements that will eliminate suffering by correcting false values and giving true knowledge of life's meaning have been summed up as follows:

1. Right views (understanding): You must see clearly what is wrong.
2. Right purpose (aspiration): Decide to be cured.
3. Right speech: Speak so as to aim at being cured.
4. Right conduct: You must act.
5. Right vocation: Your livelihood must not conflict with your therapy.
6. Right effort: The therapy must go forward at the "staying speed," the critical
velocity that can be sustained.
7. Right awareness (mind control): You must feel it and think about it incessantly.
8. Right concentration (meditation): Learn how to contemplate with the deep mind.

- Bruce Lee 1940-1973
PMEmail Poster               
MacErca 
Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Houston, Texas

male

Wolf Totem

Intuition, Learning, Spirit
This totem brings faithfulness, inner strength
and intuition when he enters our lives.
But he also brings learning to live with one's self.
The wolf teaches us to learn about our inner self
and to find our inner power and strength.
But to achieve this, we must take risks
and face our deepest fears.
A wolf totem demands sincerity.
This totem demands a lot of us
but gives us much in return;
a spirit helper that is always there to help
and gives us extraordinary powers of endurance.
He reminds us to listen to our inner thoughts
and trust our insights.

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.

I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Stargazer 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

male

I finally found time to post on the subject of wu-wei. So again I spread the wisdom and insight of eastern philosophy explained by Bruce Lee to those of you who may not know too well what wu-wei actually is:

Wu-wei (natural action)

Wu-wei is natural action. - The basic idea of the Tao Te Ching is NATURALISM in the sense of wu-wei (inaction), which really means taking no unnatural action. It means spontaneity; that is, "to support all things in their natural stage" and thus allow them to "transform spontaneously." In this manner Tao "Undertakes no activity and yet there is nothing left undone."

Wu-wei's expression in daily life. - In ordinary life wu-wei is expressed in "producing and rearing things without taking possession of them" and "doing work but not taking pride in it" - thus the natural "way" stands in complement to all artifical ways such as regulation, ceremonies, etc. This is the reason why the Taoists don't like formalities and artificialities.

On not expending one's powers prematurely. - The work of conservation is shown to be a continuous actualization and differentiation of form. One does not allow oneself to be influenced by outward success or failure, but confident in one's strength, one bides one's time.

You do not need special training. - There is no need to exert oneself in special cultivation outside the daily round of living.

Do not expend power prematurely. - Wait in the calm strength of patience - he that is strong should guard with tenderness. One need not fear lest strong will should not prevail; the main thing is not to expend one's powers prematurely in an attempt to obtain by force something for which the time is not yet ripe.

Natural action is pliable. - Non-action, as it is often translated, does not mean no action, but no such action as begets opposition. "Right" action is neither to oppose nor to give way, but to be pliable, as a reed in the wind.

Wu-wei is spontaneous action. - Spontaneous action - of which Nature (Tao) was the grand practitioner. This action of Nature was real action. The second was action taken with design, premediated, and directed to chosen ends. This, however attractive it might seem, was a forcing of Nature and therefore unreal.

Action in conformity with the situation. - The person is[[in?]] question is not in an independent position, but is acting as an assistant. It is not his task to try to lead - that would only make him lose the Way - but to let himself be led. If he knows how to meet fate with an attitude of acceptance, he is sure to find the right guidance. The superior one lets himself be guided; he does not go ahead blindly, but learns from the situation what is demanded of him and then follows.

Don't seek, but allow. - Do not seek IT, for it will come when least expected. Let go. Don't seek or run away.

On the principle of wu-wei. - Wu-wei is spontaneous superiority. Wu-wei is spontaneous action without prearrangement. Wu-wei ensures the spirit of harmony with nature. Wu-wei sees no violence done, with the result of peace and freedom from disturbance. Wu-wei is the nourishment of the spirit, left alone, so it can find stability. Wu-wei is "taking no action;" all efforts made with a purpose are sure to fail.

Wu-wei is creative intuition. - The principle of wu-wei is entirely an action of creative intuition, which opens the wellsprings WITHIN man. While the action of assertion, man's common tendency, is preconceptual and rational, it cannot penetrate the hidden recesses of creativity. The action of assertion is viewed from the externals of intellection, while the action of non-assertion is activated by the inner light. The former action is limited and finite, the latter free and limitless.

- Bruce Lee 1940-1973
PMEmail Poster               
myriad 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 08:39 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Wow! I have just caught up and had the pleasure of reading the last two pages to get here. I am deeply impressed by the wisdom being shared. As always, Richard, thank you for the wisdom you impart. You know how much your words mean to me. Thank you for your care.
Shadows... wow, My husband has studied about some of these things you have written of as well as the Art of War and the I Ching (I hope I spelled that correctly), but I never realized the extent of the correlations between eastern philosophy and native philosophy. Thank you so much for sharing this wealth of information. *Big Hug* I really appreciate reading these and I will have to re-read them to understand more.
MacErca, thank you for your wisdom as well. You know my love for the wolf and my tribal connection. Thank you for imparting your knowledge. It is good to see interest in sharing the diverse cultural wisdom here.

Peace and Prosperity to all,
Mary
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

HI Mary

Here are a couple of my favorites that have been passed down through my family.

Luke, I am your father, join me and we can rule the universe - Darth Vader

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated - The Borg

Sometimes it's hard to remember when you are up to your butt in alligators that your intitial objective was to drain the swamp - unknown Cajun

Set your sights low and you will never be disappointed - Raymond E Schwab

Quitters never win and winners never quit - Vince Lombardi?

If God had mean't for man to fly, He would have given him wings - ?

These may not seem very culturally oriented but they are things that have shaped my life tongue.gif

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
myriad 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Those are great Raven! Thank you for imparting such useful wisdom. When I am back to my computer from the holidays with the family I will post some of my dads quotables. He is 70 and has some very interesting things he likes to say. That will be a fun little peice after the holidays. LOL Again, Thank you I really like your addition. Let's here more!
Mary
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

This was sent to me from our Turtle Clan Mother.

Elder's Meditation

"From Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit, there came a great unifying life force that flowed in and through all things-the flowers of the plains, blowing winds, rocks, trees, birds, animals-and was the same force that had been breathed into the first man. Thus all things were kindred, and were brought together by the same Great Mystery."

Chief Luther Standing Bear, SIOUX

The Great Spirit has six things that make up this life force. They are life, love, intelligence, soul, principle, and truth. These are the reasons the life cycle continues. None of this can be altered by man, but we can have access to these powers any time we wish. Just think about it-anytime I have a need I can access one or more of these powers."

Oh Great Mystery, let me know how to use these powers. Today, let me love life, let me know truth, let me live by principle, and let me follow Your intelligence.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 13 2003, 09:17 AM)
WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING
(Written by a former child)

A message every adult should read, because children are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew there is a God I could always talk to and I learned to trust in God.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don't.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw how you handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't feel good and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I learned most of life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, "Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking."

Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher or friend) influences the life of a child. How will you touch the life of someone today?

A beautiful meaning and so true! You never know who is watching the way we live.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

A fool does not delight in understanding,
But only in revealing his own mind.

The words of a man's mouth are deep waters;
The fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

---From the Book of Wisdom

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 03:48 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

The end of a matter is better than its beginning

A good name is better than a good perfume,
And the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth.

That which has been is that which will be,
And that which has been done is that which will be done.
So, there is nothing new under the sun.

---From the Book of Wisdom
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 29-Dec-2003, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

This was sent to me from our Turtle Clan Mother.

Elder's Meditation

"Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."

Tecumseh, SHAWNEE

You can take one arrow and break it in half. But if you take 12 arrows in a bundle, it's almost impossible to break any of them. There is strength in Unity. When we are together we are very powerful. This is the way the ancestors told us we need to be. Strong. We need to unite ourselves. This is why the Elders say, when we make decisions, we must first consider the good of the people. If every person in the community thinks this way, then we will always make strong decisions.

Creator, let my decisions have the strength of the bundle.
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

This was sent to me by our Turtle Clan Mother.

Elder's Meditation

"If people are going to get back into balance, one of the things they have to do is seek the truth. They have to start really speaking the truth themselves, and that's a difficult thing to do. The way it is now in the world, we don't mind lying."

John Peters (Slow Turtle), WAMPANOAG

Well everybody's doing it. Do unto others before they do unto you. If it wasn't for back luck I would have no luck at all. These are excuses and rationalizations for giving up accountability. Be true to yourself. Seek the truth, The Great Spirit is the truth. The truth shall set you free. This is the truth. We cannot be free if we are dishonest nor can we live a balanced life if we are dishonest. As we grow, we need to start taking stands. All warriors take stands. The warrior's belief is constantly being aligned to truth. The warrior will always know where he/she stands.

Great Spirit, help me today to seek Your truth, not my truth.
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

This was sent to me by our Turtle Clan Mother.

Elder's Meditation

"Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind and spirit."

Charles A. Eastman (Ohiyesa), SANTEE SIOUX

Be still and know. All new learning?s, all ideas about new things, creativity, daydreaming and mental effectiveness come to those who learn about silence. All warriors know about the power of silence. All Elders know about stillness. Be still and know Creator. Meditation is about the place of silence. This is the place to hear Creator's voice. We can find tremendous amounts of knowledge in the place of silence. This is the sacred place of Creator.

Great Spirit, teach me the power of silence.
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

And what is my all knowing, all visionary wonderful brother doing up at 3:53 in the morning. You know better BUBBA!
Your gonna pay for it later.
A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]