> Scotland Sword Ban
Rindy 
Posted: 03-Sep-2006, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

I just recieved this-and it makes me very sad :'( I signed!!!

Folks

Please take a moment and check this out. It looks like the hoplophobic folks in Scotland want to ban all swords even historic and fencing sword ones because of criminal activities.

I would sure hate to a fine cultural heritage surrendered to politicial aspirations and thugs.

Feel free to click on the link and sign the petition. Pass it on to your lists, friends, if you please. If you dont agree please accept my apologies I am not trying to stir up a storm.

Josh

(thanks, Rindy)

Scottish Sword ban issue.
Dear All,

The Scottish executive has recently announced its proposals towards establishing new laws in Scotland, which include a ban on the sale of swords. Exemptions are included for religious, cultural and sporting reasons, yet this is despite a public consultation on the subject confirming that most respondees were entirely against a ban on the sale of swords.

The original story can be found at -
Click Here BBC World News-

Rational explanations democratically presented to the Scottish Parliament have yet to be heeded - that a licencing scheme for manufacturers and retailers will have no impact upon street crime, this being the supposed reasoning for such proposals and laws being pushed through.

Such schemes will only incur costs and additional paperwork for manufacturers and retailers in Scotland while anyone wishing to circumvent the new `tough laws` can simply order online or by mail order.

To this day, the Executive has yet to back up its assertions that swords present a great threat to the Scottish public with any hard facts or figures.
This means that we are in danger of seeing the Scottish Executive press ahead with proposals and implementation of new laws based entirely upon supposition and their own media fearmongering campaign.
This heralds a very dangerous precedent for any new laws being established in Scotland and cannot be allowed to happen.

The facts are that physical attacks with swords in Scotland are of course extremely few and far between, forming considerably less than 1% of all attacks with ANY edged weapons.

The Executive would also have us believe that `non-domestic knives` are a great threat and problem, and is presently proposing a licencing scheme for the sale of these in Scotland. Again, NO hard facts or figures have been presented to prove that any such danger exists.

The facts are that most knife attacks in Scotland are carried out with DOMESTIC knives, these being the cheapest, most easily available and concealable of all blades available on the street today.
The Executive has yet to back up its assertions with any facts and prefers to hide behind a smokescreen of scaremongering in the hope that the Scottish public shall simply follow in deference to its voice of `authority`.

The Save Our Swords petition was handed in to the Scottish Parliament last year with over 2000 signatures in total. At that time, the petition was open only to Scottish residents. Now, we open the campaign to all and any interested individuals worldwide who wish to support our cause.

We would like to collect as many more names and comments as possible in response to the present threat to Scottish culture in seeing swords disappear from our High Street retailers. If the Parliament gets it way, any tourist visiting Scotland would not be able to purchase a sword as a symbolic souvenir of our cultural nation.
Let us not allow this to happen.

This petition is open to all and shall be resubmitted to the Scottish Parliament with a greater voice and an extensive and detailed covering letter addressing our most recent concerns.
If you have not already added your name and comments (sensible ones only please, aggressive or inappropriate comments shall be removed), then please do so by following the online petition link below. If you have already added your name, please forward this to as many interested parties that you may know.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Swords/petit...n.html

The time to act is now. Petition totals shall be collated for resubmission at the end of September 2006.

Your time, concerns and contributions are most appreciated and our thanks in advance.

Yours Very Truly,

Paul Macdonald,
Save Our Swords Campaign,
Macdonald Armouries,
Macdonald Academy of Arms
PMEmail Poster               
teashoci 
Posted: 06-Sep-2006, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: glasgow

male

ive already signed this petition there is also an interesting debate regarding this matter on sword forum international.

forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=71134

should you wish to take a quick look.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 06-Sep-2006, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

so what else is new? england wants to do away with points on knives..... duh?
we should just linch the dirty offending guns knives and swords.... its all their fault....

you can stab and kill someone with a dam butter knife... death.gif

IDIOTS!!!!!!!

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 06-Sep-2006, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks teashoci I am a member of that forum and I enjoy it very much..

dundee- isn't that the truth....you can stab and kill someone with a pencil too if you set your mind to it...lol

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
teashoci 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 07:08 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

i think the americans have got it right in regarding some of their statute laws.

in scotland you can purposely stab and kill someone and expect a prison sentance of no more than 8 - 12 years.

in american you do the same you can expect a sentance of life without parole.

PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-old Nordic proverb
In Viking times everyone was expected to need and have a knife at all times. Not as a weapon, but as an everyday tool. By law, even slaves were guaranteed the right to keep knives.

The knife is a basic tool, possibly the basic tool.

To ban such a basic tool because it can be misused is sheer idiocy. What next, banning stones because stones can be used to bash someone's head in. Perhaps automobiles should be banned, as using them causes too many deaths. Then there's alcohol, tobacco, etc . . . where to stop . . .

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

hey, come to canada. where guys wearing turbans can carry a ceremonial knife to school, geesh don't get me started.....

crime can be committed without any weapons too......then there are the hugh weapons like airplanes and bombs and bullets....i mean is nothing left sacred?

ceremonies are an important part of who and what we are, they bind us with scared connections....are those people idiots or just fearmongers???

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

Wow politicians don't think much of simple innocent folk. Long live the swords.

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

I think what we really need to do is ban all weapons. Pencils, pocket knives, rocks, rulers, shoe strings, baseball bats, socks, anything that could potentially be used to kill someone.

That or we can just cut everyone's arms and legs off.

Course, I'm sure people would figure out how to kill each other even without arms and legs.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 07-Sep-2006, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Ridiculous.

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 08-Sep-2006, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (CelticCoalition @ 07-Sep-2006, 11:04 AM)
I think what we really need to do is ban all weapons. Pencils, pocket knives, rocks, rulers, shoe strings, baseball bats, socks, anything that could potentially be used to kill someone.

That or we can just cut everyone's arms and legs off.

Course, I'm sure people would figure out how to kill each other even without arms and legs.

Arrrrggghhh, you didn't pull my teeth out.

Which circle of hell is it in the Inferno of Dante, that has two people trapped in some kind of thing up to their necks for eternity, gnashing each other's heads? I forget . . . smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
teashoci 
Posted: 08-Sep-2006, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

its one of the zones of the ninth circle
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 14-Sep-2006, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

QUOTE (teashoci @ 07-Sep-2006, 08:08 AM)
i think the americans have got it right in regarding some of their statute laws.

in scotland you can purposely stab and kill someone and expect a prison sentance of no more than 8 - 12 years.

in american you do the same you can expect a sentance of life without parole.

Now I'm not taking a stance against you - it is sad that political aspirations and thugs will eat away at culture and heritage BUT is shown that countries with stricter and harsher penalties have more violent crimes. In an essay I once had to write, we had to argue:

are the severe penalties a reaction to the violent crimes?
or is there a correlation between the attitude of punishment within a society and the crimes committed within that society?

Evidence showed that it is a downward spiral with countries like the USA where the death penalty exists and the serious violence that takes place hourly.

Though, this essay in itself supports this petition because such strictness will result in an underworld use of swords (even fencing) that will become difficult to regulate and legally support genuine sport injuries.

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 14-Sep-2006, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,759 Gold!

I'm going to open a store selling pointed sticks. I feel a brisk business coming on.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 14-Sep-2006, 11:02 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 14-Sep-2006, 07:10 PM)
I'm going to open a store selling pointed sticks. I feel a brisk business coming on.

Carolina Scotsman .... LOL LOL...Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]