> Contemporary News From The Highlands, Local & regional news from Scotland
englishmix 
Posted: 07-Jan-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Let's make this forum thread for any local or regional - even national - contemporary news from Scotland.

Doesn't have to be controversial or even really interesting. Just a place to learn about what's going on over there. Others could start a thread for Ireland or Wales or even England if they so desire.

So you Scottish newspaper readers and web searchers, post away!
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 09-Jan-2010, 01:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Ferry boss to retire

Hebrides News
7 January 2010

Lawrie Sinclair, Chief Executive of the David MacBrayne Group, which includes ferry operators CalMac Ferries Ltd and NorthLink Ferries Ltd, has announced he is to retire from his post at the end of June 2010.

Mr Sinclair was at the helm of the ferry company when it controversially launched Sabbath sailings between Leverburgh and North Uist - a move seen by some as paving the way for a Sunday ferry into Stornoway.

Prior to its major restructure in October 2006, Mr Sinclair had been Managing Director of Caledonian MacBrayne Ltd since 2000, and oversaw its separation into Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd and CalMac Ferries Ltd. He then led the company’s successful bids to provide lifeline ferry services for both the Northern Isles and the Clyde and Hebrides Ferry Services contracts.

His contract was due to end in April 2010, but he has agreed to extend it by a few months to manage the handover to his successor.

David MacBrayne Chairman, Peter Timms, said: “For the last 10 years Lawrie has successfully steered the company through some of its most challenging times, and has done much to transform it into a modern commercial business which puts the needs of its customers first.”

Lawrie Sinclair said: ”My time with CalMac has been one of the most challenging and rewarding times of my life, and I leave with very mixed feelings. However, I do believe that as we approach the retendering of the contracts for both the Northern Isles and Clyde and Hebrides Ferry Services, the time is right to pass the baton onto someone else to take the David MacBrayne Group forward.”

Prior to joining CalMac, Lawrie enjoyed a successful career in shipbuilding and repair, culminating in being appointed Managing Director at three different yards from 1981 to 2000.

Peter Timms added: ”The search for Lawrie’s successor will begin immediately with advertisements being placed in the national media from this week.”
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 09-Jan-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Fantastic news, in my book, as an avid CORRIES fan!

12:11 GMT, Saturday, 9 January 2010
2010 Commonwealth Games team picks new Scots anthem: Flower of Scotland

Scotland the Brave was played when Caitlin McClatchey won gold in 2006
Scottish athletes have voted overwhelmingly for Flower of Scotland to be the official national anthem at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Scotland the Brave had been used as the anthem for Scottish competitors who won gold medals at previous games. But the athletes voted by 211 to 15 in favour of Flower of Scotland to be adopted for this year's event.

A shortlist of four songs, which also included Loch Lomond and Highland Cathedral, had originally been chosen. Athletes due to compete at the Delhi games were then asked to choose between Flower of Scotland and Scotland the Brave, which had been the two most popular tunes from the shortlist in a vote taken in November.

The competitors from 17 different made their decision after gathering for a camp at Stirling University. Flower of Scotland has been used by the national football and rugby teams since the early 1990s, but the Commonwealth Games team had continued to use Scotland the Brave, which was first adopted as its anthem in 1958.

'Team spirit'

Before 1958, the Robert Burns-penned Scots Wha Hae had been used to mark Commonwealth Games success. Commonwealth Games Scotland had feared the lack of a recognised anthem created confusion amongst the athletes, team members, spectators and television viewers. Michael Cavanagh, chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland, said they were aiming to deliver the best prepared team possible to excel at the Games.

"The excellent team spirit in Melbourne was a major factor behind our success and today's camp provides an excellent opportunity for potential Delhi athletes to build a strong team unit right from the start, reinforcing the team's unique position of '17 Sports, One Team'," he said.

"Being held at the turn of the year, the camp marks an important milestone in the countdown to the games. With just 10 months to go it will focus the whole team on the exciting times ahead, and hopefully inspire our athletes to strive even harder to achieve the selection targets set for their sport and secure a seat on the plane to Delhi."

The Commonwealth Games is the only multi-sport event in which Scotland competes as a separate team.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 09-Jan-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

May the Lord prosper and protect this man of God.

Harris minister quits Church over gay preacher row
Hebrides News, 14/7/09

► Island churches rebel against Church of Scotland

Harris man Rev John Macleod has quit the Church of Scotland after the furore of its stance over supporting gay clergy. Mr Macleod who belongs to Northton has officially resigned as the minister of St Andrew's Kirk in Nassau, Bahamas. He will now work his notice and depart the denomination around the end of this year. For the previous eight years he served in Aryshire.

Mr Macleod and his wife Carol - also of island connections - plans to seek an alternative Scottish Presbyterian denomination they are comfortable with. Others within the Church of Scotland are also uneasy over its supportive stance on appointing gay ministers rammed home by the induction of openly homosexual Rev Scott Rennie into Queen's Cross Church in Aberdeen.

Popular minister Rev Tommy Mackinnon, formerly of North Uist, resigned last month from his post in protest but Rev Macleod is the first to make a clean break with the denomination over the row.

Rev Macleod may look to shift to the Free Church of Scotland and continue his vocation as pastor.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 16-Jan-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Gaelic bard to be brought home 76 years after he died
13 January 2010
By JOHN ROSS

SOLDIER, policeman, crofter and Gaelic bard. Iain Archie MacAskill was all these, yet he died in poverty and was buried in a pauper's grave on the other side of the world, longing for his Hebridean home.

Now, 76 years after his death, his wish will be fulfilled. Alina MacAskill Simpson, Iain's great niece, has arranged for his body to be exhumed from a grave in Western Australia and returned to his beloved Berneray, where he will be laid to rest next to his parents.

Aged 27, MacAskill left his native island of Berneray off North Uist on New Year's Day 1925, hoping to succeed as a farmer in Western Australia. He died nine years later, the victim of drought, illness, poverty and homesickness. During that time he wrote prolifically, especially songs and poems in which he poured out his pain about being unable to return home.

Ms MacAskill Simpson, 31, began researching MacAskill's life and work after using his poetry as part of her course while she was studying Gaelic in Glasgow.

She had hoped to be able to repatriate his body last year, the 75th anniversary of his death and the Year of Homecoming, but is now on course to have it returned by April this year. The Australian authorities have granted permission for the exhumation, which is due to take place in March and Ms MacAskill Simpson has raised half the £6,000 needed.

She said she became intrigued by her great-uncle's life and set out to piece together his story. "Through the legacy of his many published poems and songs and speaking with family members, I unravelled his unfulfilled wish to come back to the island he loved. It will be closure for the family and it will mean his memory will live on. My biggest concern was he would be forgotten by the next generation."

MacAskill was born in Berneray in 1898, the second son of Donald and Ann MacAskill. In 1914 he lied about his age to enlist in the Cameron Highlanders and was one of the pipers who led the 5th Camerons into action in the Battle of Loos in 1915. From 1919 to 1923 he was a constable in the City of Glasgow Police and a prizewinning piper, before he returned to Berneray to work on his father's croft and began to write.

He was later persuaded by a government scheme to try to better himself by taking on a large farm in Western Australia. But the venture went bust during the depression and he ended up burdened by debt and working for other people in miserable conditions, before dying of kidney failure aged 35.

In 1983, Dr John MacAskill, from Fort William, Ms MacAskill Simpson's late uncle, traced the unmarked grave near Perth, Australia, and erected a headstone. Ms MacAskill Simpson said: "When we heard the Australian authorities had agreed to the exhumation, we were delighted. I will be going to Karrakatta Cemetery in Western Australia with some other families to be there for the exhumation."
The story of Ms MacAskill Simpson's quest is being filmed for BBC Alba.
PMEmail Poster                
valpal59 
Posted: 20-Jan-2010, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying this topic.
thumbs_up.gif

Thank you,

Valerie

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
englishmix 
Posted: 21-Jan-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Perhaps it would be a good idea to allow all citizens to give politicians the legal right and assistance to kill them... if you know what I mean. Anyway, my faith gives me courage and patience to endure all things with hope. How sad others do not have that. Obviously people can kill themselves, but God forbid others be encourage to kill one another as a legal sanction.

Margo MacDonald launches bid to make Scotland first part of Britain to legalise assisted suicide

The Daily Record, Jan 21 2010

VETERAN MSP Margo MacDonald, who has Parkinson's disease, today formally launched her bid to legalise assisted suicide. The Bill would make Scotland the first part of Britain to change the law, which currently leaves Scots open to prosecution for culpable homicide. The End of Life Choices Bill, if supported by MSPs, will allow anyone aged over 16 to request help to die.

It stipulates that the person must be diagnosed as terminally ill or permanently physically incapacitated, and finds life intolerable. The person must have been registered with a GP in Scotland for at least 18 months.

Ms MacDonald, an independent MSP for the Lothians, said: "It's absolutely appalling that people should have to leave their homes and their families and friends and everything that's familiar to them, and end their life in a foreign country in what has to be a relatively clinical atmosphere. Dying is part of living, it's the last act of your life, and if we accept the responsibility of how we live our lives, then I really fail to see where there is any demarcation of how we should die."

Ms MacDonald drew attention to her arms, which were visibly shaking as she launched the Bill in the Scottish Parliament. She insisted that her attempt to change the law was not personal, adding: "There are many other people who have progressive, degenerative conditions that are much more vicious than mine. And they only have to look forward to a very, very, unhappy, unpleasant, undignified end of life experience. This Bill is meant to try and redress that unfairness, to give those people the autonomy to exercise some control over how they die, to give them the legal right to seek assistance and to protect the people that give assistance."

Ms MacDonald has already said she would like to be allowed to bring about her own death if her condition deteriorated. MSPs and Scottish Government ministers will be allowed a free vote on the Bill when it reaches its conclusion. First Minister Alex Salmond has previously said he is "not convinced" about the proposal.

Critics of the Bill include the Care Not Killing association, which urged MSPs to proceed with "extreme care and caution" when considering the Bill. Dr Gordon Macdonald, from the group, said: "Are we seriously to contemplate unleashing onto the public a law that would license relatives or friends to assist in the killing of people with terminal or degenerative illnesses or disabilities?"
PMEmail Poster                
Patch 
Posted: 23-Jan-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I watch the show and as a photographer am familiar with the detrimental effect of the power transmission lines. It would be sad to loose the show.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
WallaceGal 
Posted: 24-Jan-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Highland MI

female

I too wanted to say that I'm really enjoying this thread! Thanks for posting these articles. smile.gif

--------------------
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Slàinte!
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 26-Jan-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Macneil slams Labour plan to “tax crofters”Hebrides News, 26/1/10

Na h-Eileanan an Iar SNP MP Angus MacNeil has hit out at the Labour Government's latest proposals which could mean the crofting industry will have to in future share the costs with the Government for any animal disease outbreak.

Mr MacNeil has said that this is another heartless tax on rural communities and in particular the agricultural sector in Scotland, and is calling on the Leader of the Labour Party in Scotland, Iain Gray to distance himself from this latest Labour tax.

Mr MacNeil said: "This latest tax proposal to emerge from the Labour Government will be counter productive. It's another nail in the coffin for the livestock industry in Scotland, and added with the islands paying the highest costs of fuel tax in the UK, it shows Labours total disregard for crofters in the Hebrides. “Once again it shows a complete naiveity by a Labour Government which is intent on destroying rural areas."

This week for the SNP, the villages of West Harris are taking control over their own land, and an SNP Minister being the keynote speaker at a Crofting Conference in Stornoway, and amongst this good news we have reckless proposals from Labour to damage crofting.

"I will be tabling a question in the House of Commons on this issue, and I will also be writing to the Leader of the Labour Party in Scotland Mr Iain Gray asking that the party in Scotland distance themselves from this unnecessary and counter productive tax. So terrible has been Labour's economic record that they are now reduced to taxing crofters.”
PMEmail Poster                
MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 26-Jan-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

This really has me flamed up!!

Councillor slams spending on Gaelic education

HIGHLAND Council's decision to spend over £1.5 million on developing Gaelic education in the Inverness area has been strongly criticised by a Sutherland councillor.

Labour ward councillor for East Sutherland and Edderton, Deirdre Mackay, claimed this week that it was an unnecessary expenditure in the current straitened economic circumstances.

And she also called into question Scottish Government legislation which forces local authorities to spend thousands of pounds on drawing up a Gaelic policy and promoting Gaelic language and culture.

She criticised it as an elitist policy which favoured the few rather than the many.

She said Highland Council had to meet the bill for Gaelic education, Gaelic development jobs and Gaelic road, street and bulding signs which were often erected to the opposition of local communities.

So strongly did Councillor Mackay feel that she claimed it should be a political issue at the next election.

She said: "It's fundamentally wrong. Even in times when Highland Council was awash with money, there were arguments against it.

"As a councillor, I am there to scrutinise council policy and to question it quite rigorously. This is political correctness - you don't challenge Gaelic. Well, it has to be challenged. This should be an election issue come the next Holyrood election."

Councillor Mackay took the opportunity to speak out at a meeting of Brora Community Council in the village's community centre on Tuesday night.

She said she was deeply "uncomfortable" at Highland Council's decision to spend over £1 million in expanding the new Inverness Gaelic School.

She was also very unhappy at plans to establish a new Gaelic medium unit at Glenurquhart Primary School, Drumnadrochit, which would cater for just four pupils out of a school roll numbering 123.

She pointed out that the expenditure would take place at a time when Highland Council was looking to make £60m savings during the next two years.

She said: "I think that this level of spending is a luxury that we cannot afford. It is for a very few pupils.

"We're going to have hard choices to make and I simply cannot support this policy any longer.

"In my ward every school building is classed as a Category C. There are four levels A, B, C and D which translates into very good, good, poor and diabolical.

"My conscience simply doesn't let me support this level of spend for a few children when other children are being educated in such poor conditions.

"Apart from the money, there is an equality of opportunities issue. Bilingual education, it is argued, is to be encouraged. Yes, but bilingual could be Spanish, or Urdu or Chinese. It shouldn't be just because it's Gaelic."

Councillor Mackay then widened the issue by criticising Scottish Government legislation regarding the promotion of Gaelic language and culture as flawed and "heavy handed." She said it emanated from the top rather than from grassroots level.

She said: "Highland Council was compelled to develop a Gaelic plan. That was developed within the Gaelic committee and was never debated by the full council, but just came before them as a document. There is a democratic issue there."

She took serious issue with the free transport provided to pupils attending Gaelic Medium Schools; the proliferation of Gaelic development jobs; and the requirement for public bodies to provide Gaelic speaking staff and erect Gaelic signs.

She said: "A number of parents in my ward are in the Golspie High School catchment area yet have chosen to send their children to Dornoch Academy. These parents have to supply their own transport.

"But if parents elect to have their child attend a Gaelic Medium Unit which is outwith the catchment area, then that child is transported there by taxi. It is fundamentally wrong."

Councillor Mackay continued: "If you phone Porterfield Prison, the first thing you are asked is 'Would you like to speak in Gaelic?'

"NHS Highland are having to introduce bi-lingual signs and the Gaelic wording has to be above the English wording."

She also criticised the proliferation of Gaelic development posts.

"We recently lost our community education officer, Lawrence Jamieson. Yet, at a time when posts like his were being cut, there were posts being created in Gaelic.

"The government does give funding towards these posts but it deteriorates over three years and after that, Highland Council has to absorb the costs into the main education budget."

Councillor Mackay then explained why she had chosen to use Tuesday's community council meeting as a platform to air her views.

"I think people ought to know a whole lot more about how the Gaelic plan is being delivered and how much it is costing and the equal opportunities issue."

East Sutherland Rotary Club chairman Alistair Risk, who was present at the meeting, commented: "I have two relations who have sent their children to the Gaelic Education unit in Stirling.

"They haven't been sent there because they have a desperate desire to learn Gaelic, the reason they go is because the class sizes number ten or less and they get a better education. It just so happens they have to put up with Gaelic at the same time."

Brora community council chairman Kathleen Cunningham told Councillor Mackay: "The message from round this table is definitely one of support for you."

[email protected]

* Is too much money being spent on Gaelic education in the Highlands? Go to 'The Big Vote' to have your say.

Here to Vote
http://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/fulls...y.php/aid/7043/

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
WallaceGal 
Posted: 26-Jan-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Highland MI

female

The woman should be removed from Council!
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 26-Jan-2010, 10:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Aye, I hope they do vote her out. These types are always so willing to spend other peoples money on all kinds of foreign multiculturalistic projects and pluralistic nonsence, but when it comes to supporting the cultural heritage of the country and her citizens, then they really show their true colors.

Thanks MacDonnchaidh for sharing that interesting news! Say I did VOTE on the link - its 85% for Gaelic to 15% against.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 30-Jan-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Adel goes extra mile to keep Olympic dream alive

The Press and Journal, Published: 30/01/2010

TWELVE-YEAR-OLD Burghead skater Adel Wilson is hoping that the top-class coaching she is receiving at Murrayfield ice-rink in Edinburgh will help her achieve her dream of taking part in the deaf Olympics. Adel and her nine-year-old sister Karina, who make the 350-mile round trip to Murrayfield accompanied by their mum Janet, have recently been awarded a £400 grant, £200 for each, from sportMoray to assist with coaching and travelling costs.

Adel, who is deaf in one ear and has 50% hearing in the other, is hoping that figure-skating will shortly be recognised as a deaf winter Olympic sport. She said: “I will be 13 next month and hope that by the age of 14 I will be good enough to take part in the deaf Olympics. Although they have not yet recognised skating as a sport, I have progressed so much with the coaching I have received from head-coach Alice Fell down in Edinburgh that when it is, maybe for Slovakia next year, or more likely in Vancouver in 2015, I will be ready. I really enjoy our weekly coaching sessions at Murrayfield. The ice-rink is a lot bigger than the Elgin one so we have a lot more room for skating and I don’t mind the travelling at all.”

Her younger sister Karina said: “I enjoy our practice in Elgin and our coaching in Edinburgh and we are both better skaters now.”

Proud mum Janet said: “Both Adel and Karina have come on leaps and bounds under Alice Fell, the senior coach at Murrayfield in Edinburgh. They have both progressed from beginners’ level into national level one which is very encouraging.”
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 30-Jan-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Jacobite rebellion mansion for sale at £1.75million
Bonnie Prince Charlie made good his escape to Skye from beach below Arisaig House
By Susan Welsh
The Press and Journal, Published: 29/01/2010

A MAGNIFICENT historic mansion, with links back to the days of the Jacobite rebellion, has gone on sale at Beasdale, near Arisaig. Arisaig House, which has a price tag of more than £1.75million, was designed by Philip Webb, an architect known as The Father of Arts & Crafts-style design.

Standing on one of the most scenic parts of the Atlantic seaboard, and just 10 miles from Mallaig, it is said that Bonnie Prince Charlie made good his escape to Skye in a boat from the beach just below the house. The B-listed 15 bedroom house was also used during World War II to provide training grounds for Winston Churchill’s Special Operations Executive, elite corps trained to carry out sabotage and subterfuge behind enemy lines.

Famed architecture writer Marcus Binney included Arisaig House in his 2007 book, entitled In Search of the Perfect House – 500 of the Best Buildings in Britain and Ireland. Tom Stewart-Moore, who is handling the sale for agent Strutt & Parker, said: “Not only is the house fantastic but the setting is, quite literally, breathtaking.”

The house, built in 1864, is set round a traditional courtyard with outbuildings, and the sale includes a thriving letting business of three apartments and four estate cottages. It was originally owned and commissioned by Francis Dukinfield Palmer-Astley who bought the 18,000-acre estate, on which the property is built, in 1848.

Badly damaged by fire in 1935, Arisaig House was largely reconstructed to plans by Scottish architect Ian Hamilton. Fully modernised in 1981, the house was converted into a small hotel by the current owners, Ruth and John Smither. It ceased trading as a hotel in 2002.

With magnificent gardens and woodland stretching to more than 18 acres, spectacular views of seas and mountains and a private jetty providing access to the sea, it ticks all the boxes for those looking for a unique home.

Mr Stewart-Moore said: “Arisaig House will attract both lifestyle buyers looking for a spectacular residential estate and commercial buyers interested in the property from a business point of view.”

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...5#ixzz0e8pNQUkm
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]